GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 Backward Compatibility device"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/09/10 at 11:10
"possibly impossible"
A new patent has been filed by Sony for what seems to be an add-on which will allow PS2 BC for the PS3. If this is the case it would be music to the ears of many PS3 owners who don't own the original 60GB model and want to play PS2 games without resorting to getting another console.

As I own a 60GB still I'm not that fussed, I've only ever played 3 PS2 games on it anyway, there are far too many PS3 games to play to worry about going back a generation, but many have wanted this feature ever since Sony took it out of later models.

The device will be basically the innards of a PS2, squashed into a small box and minus the DVD drive. It should connect via Ethernet as the USB connection would be too slow to pass that much data through.

So, anyone tempted by that? Or should we just be concentrating on the current generation games?
Fri 03/06/11 at 10:21
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
What Garin said.

And to add, with more and more developers releasing old PS1 games on the network (as that is proving quite popular), and broaband speeds set to make huge improvements over the next year or so........
Thu 02/06/11 at 14:22
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
There was no real reason to believe anything was ever going to happen with this. Its just a patent filing, I'd guess less than 1% of patents that big companies like Sony file ever turn into an actual product.

And even less reason now that remastered ps2 games are proving popular.
Wed 01/06/11 at 23:34
Regular
"Monochromatic"
What's happening with this?
Fri 17/09/10 at 18:56
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
moto wrote:
> Even USB 2.0 isn't fast enough to provide all that processing
> between reading the disc and the data coming from what is
> essentially a full on PS2.
>
> If you have a (near) fully functional PS2 why would you be
> passing data other than sound and video to the PS3? (and a bit
> for controller actions and so forth) I thought this box did the
> processing of the games as the current PS3 does not have the
> hardware to do so?
>
> USB(2) would do SD video + audio...

USB2 has enough bandwidth for a compressed signal I would think. But you want to pass raw data to the PS3 so it can scale it. Also remember that at the same time you've got the PS3 funnelling DVD and controller data in the opposite direction so you'll never have the full USB2 bandwidth to play with.

> I thought I read somewhere that Sony was working on a full
> software based emulator that PSN+ subscribers were going to get
> for free... :S!

Not convinced the PS3 has enough power to emulate it in software alone. It'll be interesting to see how the PS3 jailbreakers get on with getting PCSX2 to run on there.
Fri 17/09/10 at 18:41
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
> Even USB 2.0 isn't fast enough to provide all that processing
> between reading the disc and the data coming from what is
> essentially a full on PS2.

If you have a (near) fully functional PS2 why would you be passing data other than sound and video to the PS3? (and a bit for controller actions and so forth) I thought this box did the processing of the games as the current PS3 does not have the hardware to do so?

USB(2) would do SD video + audio...

I thought I read somewhere that Sony was working on a full software based emulator that PSN+ subscribers were going to get for free... :S!
Fri 17/09/10 at 17:06
"possibly impossible"
moto wrote:
> pb wrote:
> >It should connect via Ethernet as the USB connection would
> be too slow to pass that much data through.
>
> This would run it for me, I wouldn't want to be constantly
> moving my network cable about to play games. I don't think it
> would be THAT much data to pass through via USB, its only SD
> video.
>
> If it were USB then I'd probably get one!
>
> Edit: If its priced well.

no, no, no, it would have a pass through cable. The data would come through the LAN from the box to the PS3 and the box would have an Ethernet out to the router.

Even USB 2.0 isn't fast enough to provide all that processing between reading the disc and the data coming from what is essentially a full on PS2.
Fri 17/09/10 at 16:35
Staff
"The Killer Techie"
pb wrote:
>It should connect via Ethernet as the USB connection would be too slow to pass that much data through.

This would run it for me, I wouldn't want to be constantly moving my network cable about to play games. I don't think it would be THAT much data to pass through via USB, its only SD video.

If it were USB then I'd probably get one!

Edit: If its priced well.
Thu 16/09/10 at 18:32
Regular
"How Ironic"
I still have Hogs of War on the PS1 and luckily have my PS2 still (along with my catalogue of games). Rik Mayall's commentary ;')
Thu 16/09/10 at 18:10
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
! Clearly you never played Hogs of War!
Thu 16/09/10 at 16:23
Regular
I can't say I'm fussed about this. I'm happy mulling around the PSN Store every now and then and downloading some cheapo PS1/PS2 (or downloading from Warhunt's account) content, but I've never felt the urge to play a game that isn't available on the store.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.