GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS3 Backward Compatibility device"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 16/09/10 at 11:10
"possibly impossible"
A new patent has been filed by Sony for what seems to be an add-on which will allow PS2 BC for the PS3. If this is the case it would be music to the ears of many PS3 owners who don't own the original 60GB model and want to play PS2 games without resorting to getting another console.

As I own a 60GB still I'm not that fussed, I've only ever played 3 PS2 games on it anyway, there are far too many PS3 games to play to worry about going back a generation, but many have wanted this feature ever since Sony took it out of later models.

The device will be basically the innards of a PS2, squashed into a small box and minus the DVD drive. It should connect via Ethernet as the USB connection would be too slow to pass that much data through.

So, anyone tempted by that? Or should we just be concentrating on the current generation games?
Thu 16/09/10 at 11:10
"possibly impossible"
A new patent has been filed by Sony for what seems to be an add-on which will allow PS2 BC for the PS3. If this is the case it would be music to the ears of many PS3 owners who don't own the original 60GB model and want to play PS2 games without resorting to getting another console.

As I own a 60GB still I'm not that fussed, I've only ever played 3 PS2 games on it anyway, there are far too many PS3 games to play to worry about going back a generation, but many have wanted this feature ever since Sony took it out of later models.

The device will be basically the innards of a PS2, squashed into a small box and minus the DVD drive. It should connect via Ethernet as the USB connection would be too slow to pass that much data through.

So, anyone tempted by that? Or should we just be concentrating on the current generation games?
Thu 16/09/10 at 11:32
Regular
"And in last place.."
I've still got my trusty (if usually stubborn PS2) so it isn't something that would interest me but if I didn't then I'd definitely be tempted. The PS2 has a massive back catalogue and you'll be able to pick up plenty of excellent games for peanuts.

I can't say my PS2 has been on in a long time so not doubt this little device would gather dust too. It will be interesting to see how something like this is priced.
Thu 16/09/10 at 13:51
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Hmm interesting. Although I don't see why this couldn't have been released as software. Another question is, the PS2 had backwards compatibility too, so are PsOne games also going to work? I'll wait and see the price first.
Thu 16/09/10 at 14:03
Regular
"And in last place.."
Nin wrote:
> Hmm interesting. Although I don't see why this couldn't have been
> released as software. Another question is, the PS2 had backwards
> compatibility too, so are PsOne games also going to work? I'll
> wait and see the price first.

PS1 games currently work on all PS3s.
Thu 16/09/10 at 14:07
Regular
"Monochromatic"
dav2612 wrote:
> PS1 games currently work on all PS3s.

Say what now?
Thu 16/09/10 at 14:17
Regular
"And in last place.."
All PS3 models can run PS1 games but only the initial 60GB version came with PS2 backwards compatibility.
Thu 16/09/10 at 14:54
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I think I remember reading that most PsOne games had some sort of tech issues with running on the PS3. Maybe things have improved since then.
Thu 16/09/10 at 15:30
Regular
"And in last place.."
They don't all run beautifully but then neither do all PS2 games on the 60GB PS3s or all xbox games on the 360. From the last time I looked, most PS1 games (which amounts to a lot) run fine and I can confirm the 2 games I've tried (R-Types and Tekken 2) work a treat.
Thu 16/09/10 at 16:23
Regular
I can't say I'm fussed about this. I'm happy mulling around the PSN Store every now and then and downloading some cheapo PS1/PS2 (or downloading from Warhunt's account) content, but I've never felt the urge to play a game that isn't available on the store.
Thu 16/09/10 at 18:10
Staff Moderator
"Freeola Ltd"
! Clearly you never played Hogs of War!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.