GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Chipping your PS2"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/11/01 at 10:48
Regular
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:47
where can you get cheap chipped games?
Sun 02/12/01 at 13:36
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
SonicRav, could you send your email address to G1NGER, I have a couple of "off the record" questions.
(email [email protected])

Cheers
Sat 01/12/01 at 23:37
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Chipping does NOT mean piracy. Although the two are linked, anyone wanting to play import games will have to chip their console at some point (although there are some new alternatives to this now).

As I see it, removing the universal lockouts on consoles would be a great thing for console manufacturers to do. Not only do gamers get games at the same time around the world, but they will also have the choice of where to buy games, meaning good value for money. Developers could develop games for all regions and languages from the very beginning, therefore cutting production costs.

Games would be less, there would be less delays, and piracy would drop as a result (although it may not be by much, it certainly would drop).

So, why don't hardware manufacturers get rid of the lockouts?

So they can rip us off! And that's the only reason. By having the lockouts, people in Europe can only play European games. So, if European games have a higher price, then customers are forced to pay the higher price. That's the only reason!

You know, if there were no lockouts, then the SOLE purpose of chips would be to play copied games... no longer could people chip consoles to play import games. Therefore, it is conceivable that the manufacturers could lobby to make it illegal to make or sell chips, as their only use is for illegal purposes. Piracy would die! (Oh, and game prices would go down a bit more due to this)

Oh, but that would mean that we can't pay a higher price for our games, hence making publishers money.

It's a sad, sad state of affairs.

Sonic
Sat 01/12/01 at 22:48
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Some times we get better versions of the game. When the Japanese version is released months before any where else the game may have a few graphical problems or bugs. I remember Tokyo High Way Battle 2 for the DC came out in Japan and the developer had forgot to test that the save function worked. Well it didnt. Also Tekken Tag was nicked named Tekken Jag, because the edges of the polygons were more jagged than stairs. We had both of these fixed. If the developers actually bothered they could make a proper conversion. If anyone owns a DC they will know that probably over half of the DC titles come with 60hz and full screen mode. This is a brilliant idea yet games on the PS2 dont include this option. Only a few do. Out of all the games I have non of them include the 60hz option. While my DC collection of 28(29 if you include Shenmue 2 when I get it at christmas, which has a 60hz option) I know that over half of them do include the 60hz option. Maybe we should get a petition going and send it to Sony. Hopefully then they will realise that the UK and Europe can't be treated like 2nd class citizens and that they should give us the games that we deserve.
Sat 01/12/01 at 22:00
also not only do we get them last we get a poorer version (usually we get those horrible borders while the americans and japs don't) and we have to pay more for it as well. total disgrace
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:28
Regular
"Dont come here ofte"
Mr SR,

Why was my post deleted ???, it contained nothing of harm to anyone - have you banned free speech ??
Mon 26/11/01 at 16:28
"High polygon count"
Yup.

Didn't catch the original, but it obviously contained something offensive or illegal.
Mon 26/11/01 at 16:22
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Ummm, did SR replace Ginger's post with that asterisk?
Mon 26/11/01 at 15:50
Regular
"bearded n dangerous"
Yup, piracy does kill games to one degree or another, but it's a fact of the industry. It never has been, and never will be under control. The current price of DVD writers will come down, as did CD writers. When they were first released, they cost a bomb. In a year, maybe two, it'll be financially viable for anyone anywhere to start knocking off cheap copies of PS2 games.

Now, I'm not condoning it. It's harms the industry, and it's illegal. But isn't it tempting when you can get exactly the same gameplaying experience for a tenth of the price? You can see why it's so rife.

I like the Ninty approach with GameCube - use different media. While this won't stop someone determined to pirate the software, it will make it nigh on impossible for the average bod. The only problem with this is that it then raises the cost of production of the game for the publisher. I'd be interested to know the difference in manufacturing costs between standard CD/DVD and Ninty's Mini-DVD. I wonder whether the extra cost over the life of the machine compares with estimated predicted losses to publishers due to piracy if a more standard media was used.

Cheery-bye.
Mon 26/11/01 at 13:19
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Piracy kills games.

No more needs to be said.

(apart from that sentence)

(and that one)

(etc)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.