GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-BOX - DVD PLAYER OR NOT?"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/11/01 at 02:13
Regular
i've touched on this b4 with wookie, and i said x-box does play dvd's, but wookie said it doesn't.

now i have been on a couple of x-box web pages and they all say the x-box will play dvd movies (here is a quote from one of them) : "The Xbox is not intended to be an entertainment center but it will contain the ability to play DVD movies."

if the x-box doesnt play dvd movies can u tell me where u got your info from. as i would really like to know if it actually does or not!! plus as i mentiond somewhere b4 the offical specs state it has a dvd drive (why would it include this if it does not have the capability to play dvds?) please explain to one hopefull x-box owner. :S
Fri 15/02/02 at 09:24
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
beanz wrote:
i don't think mgs2 was slated as
> a launch title...
in fact the announcement of mgs2 was only made a month or two
> before one of the big ects shows in 2000...and it all came as a shock...well
> that's what i've heard...

Well I've still got the OFFICIAL launch booklet from when I preordered my Playstation 2 before the launch and it's got a section for launch titles. Two full pages with a basic plot and about five screens - Metal Gear Solid 2 "4th quarter 2000"
Thu 14/02/02 at 22:47
Regular
"accidental superher"
Belldandy wrote:
> MGS2 got gold because its the official magazine and nothing else. It's good but
> not ground breaking and does not even come close to matching the hype
> surrounding it. Sony promised this title for launch day and instead its how late
> ????? Too late. Yes its going to sell, mainly because there's very little else
> out at the moment. But that changes March 14th..... I'm glad that loads of
> people have a Playstation 2 because it makes selling all my items on Ebay so
> much easier ! (Time Crisis 2 + GCon2 £48.50 !!!) :) :) :)

i don't think mgs2 was slated as a launch title...
in fact the announcement of mgs2 was only made a month or two before one of the big ects shows in 2000...and it all came as a shock...well that's what i've heard...
Thu 14/02/02 at 22:44
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Tyla wrote:
And?... DO we have any
> XBOX games like this yet... nope, because it hasn't arrived yet... MGS2 got gold
> for redefining how to build a console game, the same as Mario64 did on the
> N64... You should try reading Famitsu (The Japanese Games Bible), you'd be
> surprised how they mark their games!!

erm Halo 10/10 in edge anyone ?:) Famitsu is Japanese, and lets face it the japanese mostly love nintendo stuff and are biased towards it. MGS2 got gold because its the official magazine and nothing else. It's good but not ground breaking and does not even come close to matching the hype surrounding it. Sony promised this title for launch day and instead its how late ????? Too late. Yes its going to sell, mainly because there's very little else out at the moment. But that changes March 14th..... I'm glad that loads of people have a Playstation 2 because it makes selling all my items on Ebay so much easier ! (Time Crisis 2 + GCon2 £48.50 !!!) :) :) :)
Thu 14/02/02 at 17:08
Regular
Good for you mate. I wasnt trying to pick a fight I'm just saying that in my opinion and alot of my mates Ps2 was a bad buy. Too right the DC had awesum games. The only reason it failed because they did not have the reputation or advertisin money after the saturn to get the DC going. The DC set the standard but again Like saturn PS2 came and overconquered. Oh well. Yes X Box I have read practically every review. Project Gothem is better than GT3 and hmmm lets name another good un. Halo? + + + loads more. I am simply giving the view of a lot of people who don't like people dissin the x box coz there jealous or sumthin?

And don't critise my judgement on the release day I paid £27.99 for the dvd remote from Games Exchange.

Time will tell all I can say is I will laugh if what happened to DC happens to PS2 it wont happen to X Box

Peace man
Thu 14/02/02 at 15:16
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
punk_n_metaller wrote:
> haha Tyla yur well funny!!

Why thank you... I try my best...

>yur quite young as well yur a lil kid who likes cartoon games.....jax and dextor or woteva my 4 yearold cousin is hooked on that.

Actually... I'm 26... Married, one kiddy etc etc...

>GT3 has superb graphics but crap playability. MSR was bettter, so project gotham..p**s on that Tyla.

Oh the originality... Amazing how a dedicated team of developers spent millions driving every car in GT3 to obtain acurate physics models for each one... I'd assume it's your inability... And if you thought GT3 was bad, wait till you try Project Gotham!!

>Hmmm PS2 is the ONLY next gen console worth buying. The only reason Ps2 beat the Dc coz of PS1 and the reputation Sony hav never been a computer company they do chuffin radios.

As well as PC's. Laptops, TV's Discmans (They invented the CD with Phillips), Walkmans (their invention), Mini Disc (another Sony invention), TiVo, Sat Receivers, Software, VCR's, DVD Players (Which they helped invent), Aibo (the most advanced AI consumer electronic device on the market) I could go on all day... Just to clear one thing up, Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) are a totally seperate company from Sony itself...

>The games are all boring. There are NO games that they have used theyre iniative, they are all sequals. How many Tekkens is it ???? how many gran turismos.

4 Tekkens, 3 Gran Turisimo's...

>Tyla alot of people who hav played on DC think that it was better.

So why did it die then? Admitadly there are some corking classics on the DC, as well as it own fair share of sequals... But still, it failed...

>And yes the remote cost £27.99 on release date of it yu shud get yur facts right pal.

I'd love to know where you got yours from.. I paid £19.99 on release from 24/7... So my facts are right on this one... and please, learn to spell "your"...

>If yu look at OPS2 mag there are NO gold medal games except for MGS so unlucky how long has a PS2 been out?

And?... DO we have any XBOX games like this yet... nope, because it hasn't arrived yet... MGS2 got gold for redefining how to build a console game, the same as Mario64 did on the N64... You should try reading Famitsu (The Japanese Games Bible), you'd be surprised how they mark their games!!

Now please, return to your playgroup, you've only got 3 days left of half term, go do something constructive with them... Like playing hockey on the M4...
Thu 14/02/02 at 14:44
Regular
haha Tyla yur well funny!! yur quite young as well yur a lil kid who likes cartoon games.....jax and dextor or woteva my 4 yearold cousin is hooked on that. GT3 has superb graphics but crap playability. MSR was bettter, so project gotham..p**s on that Tyla. Hmmm PS2 is the ONLY next gen console worth buying. The only reason Ps2 beat the Dc coz of PS1 and the reputation Sony hav never been a computer company they do chuffin radios. The games are all boring. There are NO games that they have used theyre iniative, they are all sequals. How many Tekkens is it ???? how many gran turismos. Tyla alot of people who hav played on DC think that it was better. And yes the remote cost £27.99 on release date of it yu shud get yur facts right pal. If yu look at OPS2 mag there are NO gold medal games except for MGS so unlucky how long has a PS2 been out?
Thu 14/02/02 at 14:19
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
Belldandy wrote:
> Besides 733mhz is still
> way above both Gamecube and PS2....

As you said, it's about the architecture... and unfortunately the GCN comes out on top of that buy a long shot... (Know your processors!!)
Thu 14/02/02 at 13:13
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Tyla wrote:
Actually it's a 733mHz PENTIUM 3...
> which everyone who works with computers knows isn't much cop and not the
> greatest chip set for running games!! In fact, Pentiums ain't much cop at doing
> anything...

Well anyone who works with computers should also know that the processor isn't everything, its the design architecture around the processor. A PC is made to multi task whereas X Box is games, in other words its custom designed for games and not to do allsorts of other boring stuff. The memory bus is really important, and the Xbox transfers data between the CPU and the RAM/HD at 6.4gb a second - thats very fast. Fact is, I'v never seen any PC run games as smoothly as the X box, including the 2ghz models with GEforce 3's in. Dead Or Alive 3, Project Gotham, Halo, Buffy, Conflict Desert Storm, Max Payne - all look superior on hte X Box at a fraction of the cost.

Besides 733mhz is still way above both Gamecube and PS2....
Thu 14/02/02 at 13:07
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
punk_n_metaller wrote:
> hmmmmmmmmm Reaper do you own a PS2? the official DVD remote costs £30

Does it? Blimey, how come I only paid £19.99 for mine?

>that could be deemed as a ripp off.

OK...

>Yes X Box doesnt automatically come with DVD support like PS2 cz that aint X Box's aim, it doesnt want to be some s****y entertainment unit like the PS2 which too rightly DOES suck.

A view not shared by 20 million+ PS2 owners...

>Dreamcast had better games, more playability. PS2 has only a FEW superb games. blah blah blah yu'll say FInal fantasy metal gear etc Theyre not released yet

And oddly enough, nor is the XBOX...

>they hav had lemme think urrr 1 superb game - GTA3

what about SSX Tricky, GT3, Jax and Daxter... Do you get out much?

>haha later! bring on X Box i jus hope i can sell my heap of PS2 junk quick enuff

You not very bright are you? Nor literate? Nor very old either?... Never mind!!
Thu 14/02/02 at 13:02
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ruckus wrote:
> x-box has 750 mhz

Actually it's a 733mHz PENTIUM 3... which everyone who works with computers knows isn't much cop and not the greatest chip set for running games!! In fact, Pentiums ain't much cop at doing anything...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.