GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Gameboy, Not As Advanced As I Thought"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 24/11/01 at 18:30
Regular
First there was the big, bulky, black and white, brick-like Gameboy. Next was the mini version of this handheld console, the poket Gameboy. Then it was sprinkled with magic dust and brought into the new exciting world of colour. something that the sega game gear had managed to do back in the days of the original Gameboy. Then, we were told that the machine would be turned into a 32bit console, which incase you dont know, is as powerful as a playstation.
Apon hearing this news, I imagined how great those long boring car journeys would with a machine that had the fantastic gameboy gameplay, and colourful PSONE style 3D graphics.

But now the Gameboy advanced is here, im not sure that its as advanced as I first thaught. Wheres the amazing 3D graphics? There not there, instead we have slightly improved gameboy colour screens, that look more like the Snes thant the playstation. I also expected the games to play a bit better, but most are still just bog standard platformers.

Dont get me wrong, I think the GBA has some great games, but not many. Theres mario kart, tony hawk, and doom, each are great looking and playable games, but they are not all that different to previous versions of them. sure some have exclusive to gameboy tracks or levels, but most of the exclusives looks rushed, and do not reflect the quality of the game that has been passed down from its ancestors.
do you remember before the gba was released, the magazines had pictures of it, but on the screens were images of N64 games that they had pasted on, to give us a taste of what was to come, but my mouth is still watering and waiting to be filled with a taste like that.

What I want to know, is why the game gear failed. I suspect it was because of the poor quality and quantity of the games, as that was the only let down it had, in its short life.It had so much more than the under acheiving gameboy, it had a full colour screen, when the gameboy was still just in black and white. it also had built in screen light, so you could see in the dark, without the need for buying extra light, it had a bigger screen, so there was no need for the clip on magnifyer aswell.But the gameboy had some great games like tetris and mario, in the slot, which poor old sega couldnt compete with, so the gameboy progresed, while the gamegear was left for dead. Thus ending, the handheld console war.

Now lets talk about the add ons, and accesories. Theres the usual battery pack, mains adaptor etc, but theres also a few new things on the way:

The TV boy: Wasnt that a name for an old console? basiacly the TV boy is an accesory you fix into your GBA, that allows you to turn your handheld console into a pocket tv. Wow, great new technology, WRONG! its been done before, about 10 years before actualy, and guess who did, thats right, the good old sega game gear. the game gear tv adaptor let you pick up all terestial tv in full colour, and sometimes i could even pick up things that other people were watching on cable tv.

Card swiper thing: This sounds intresting, you fix this machine into your gba, then swipe special new pokemon cards through it and it downloads the data to your console. this data includes info, pictues, music and games. shame I dont like pokemon, or this would be a must have. but havent we seen this before, anyone remember the barcode battaler? that was a simular device, swipe barcodes, any barcodes from anywhere, then it would create a character for you to fight with.

Theres also the fantastic idea of linking the GBA, with the Gamecube. use your gba to control the game, or to add to the game. for example, on the kirby tilt and tumble game, you control kirby on your gamecube using your GBA, then from time to time, the little pink puffy person, with fall down onto your GBA allowing you to continue the gameplay on the small screen. This is going to give the gamecube a lot of edge in the on going conole war between PS2, Xbox and the gamecube. If they had done this for the N64 and gameboy colour, maybe the 64bit console would have been a bit more popular.

Theres no question about it, the gameboy has come a long way, and despite not being such a big leap as I first expected, the GBA is the best handheld around, and will continue to be for a long time. Especialy with a great selection of games on the way including tekken and crash bandicoot. But whats next for nintenos smalled child the gameboy, maybe the gameboy 64, which has 64bit graphics and will feature a mini version of the classic mario 64, who knows?

Please now share any of your views and opinions on the gameboy, why the gamegear failed, or anything related to the subject.

Thanks For Reading
CDouch
Sun 25/11/01 at 19:30
Ahh Edgy this is where you are wrong because me myself are a strong supporter of Nintendo, but this is one thing i dislike, and in no way does it show that it is 32 bit, it seems more like 16bit too me but there ya go.

And i don't care if its portal i've got my GB color and Zelda oracle of seasons to keep me happy and i'm geeting the other one soon aswell so stuff that GBA.

I just don't like it, thats why i sold mine.
Sun 25/11/01 at 14:23
Regular
Looks like you're all just putting it down because it doesn't plug into your TV and play Sony games.

£20 for a light my rear end! (get banned for swearing remember!)

You can get a wormlight or lightshield for free from Special Reserve! Reddies anyone?

The screen, I admit, is reflective, however if I can see it without straining my eyes then surely you can.

It's portable, it plays 32-bit games, and it's great!

Did you ever think you'd see 32-bit games on something smaller than a pencil eraser?
Sun 25/11/01 at 14:08
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> Your spelling, punctuation and grammer are all terrible....

and what do you expect at 1am...
Sun 25/11/01 at 12:42
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
I was going to buy a GBA, after I saw screenshots of it in magazines. But when I played on my mates one, I really didn't like it, so I bought a PSOne and the LCD screen, I play it in the car using the car adapter.
I think the games on the GBA sound good, but the screen really put me off it, they should have put a backlight on it, whereas the PSOne screen is a full 5 inches and has a backlight (it cost more, but who cares?!).
Sun 25/11/01 at 10:44
Regular
"Vote For Pedro"
has anyone played doom on GBA?

its a great little game, just like the orginal, except its really hard to see, as its a dark game and the gameboy has a poor screen. i played it in virgin megastores, they used to have spider man which was terrible.
Sun 25/11/01 at 05:13
hmmmmm i think your missing the point about it being portable??
Sun 25/11/01 at 01:34
Mario kart- Got snes version whish is good enough for me and it is on a bigger screen

Tony Hawks 2- Stick to my PSone version thanks

Street fighter 2 turbo- I've Got Street fighter Alpha 3 and Marvel Vs Capcom 2 on my Dramcast so stuff that

NBA Jam- Got that on my snes too

Sonic- Fed up of Sonic games
Sun 25/11/01 at 01:23
Regular
Your spelling, punctuation and grammer are all terrible....
Sun 25/11/01 at 01:09
Regular
YOu just gotta buy the right games.

Mario kart is a must have, and it is amazing. TOp quality stuff. Just like the SNES version.

Then there is Tony Hawks 2, i've completed it but i still like to go back and do it again.

And there are soooo many more quality games coming.

Street fighter 2 turbo is out, and its just as fast as the SNES version.

NBA Jam. I aint heard much about this, but it should be similar to the SNES game which i loved.

ANd Sonic. I have already pre-ordered this. Just cant wait for this. Should be some cool link-up with Sonic Adventure 2 on Gamecube.

AS for the refelction of the screen...yeah its really bad with normal artificial light. Its best played with "white light" or with natural light from the sun.

Nintendo still expect 23.5M GBA's shifted by March.
Sun 25/11/01 at 01:00
Regular
I haven't been that impressed with my GBA, at first it was damn good, I was suprised that such a small machine could display such good graphics. But after the initial excitement wared off, it was a case of i'd rather be playing on my N64.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.