GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Playstation 2 how has it lasted more than 10 years?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 09/09/10 at 03:25
Regular
"THE HALOANATOR :D"
Why has the Playstation 2 produced by sony survived more than 10 years of gaming is it the wide selection of games, design of the console, price of the console itself roughly $128 in new zealand brand New from retailers?
Fri 10/09/10 at 16:16
Regular
The great thing about that is when the various companies release compilations of their older games...the majority of them will be new to you and at a fraction of their original prices!
Fri 10/09/10 at 15:52
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I missed the Dreamcast and associated games. Can't remember why though.

I still have my megadrive - purchased for Sonic.
I still have my chunky PS2 - purchased for FFX.
I still have my gamecube - purchased for Zelda.

I believes it endures because it still has a place in todays' gaming world at least it has in my gaming world. I would not give up my PS2 for any new gen console. I have very few games for the consoles I own but they are all replayable. Mainly down to the fact that I'd get close to the end of one game and a new release would distract me and very few of them are actually completed :S also having so few games means there is a whole back catalogue that I've never even tried.
Fri 10/09/10 at 14:30
Regular
"And in last place.."
I stupidly queued up at silly o'clock in the morning in Glasgow to secure a PS2 for release day. And then never pretty much ignored it for a year because of the Dreamcast.
Fri 10/09/10 at 14:18
Regular
As a long term gamer the PS2 never appealed to me...that is until I decided to get FFVII (long after production stopped, but Amazon had a new copy, albeit platinum!)

I've got a small selection of PS2 and PS1 games but the PS2 has had very little play out of me so far.
Fri 10/09/10 at 01:12
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> PS2 is hands down the most successful console ever.

Maybe in a business sense but personally it was the console that nearly killed gaming for me. Constant sequels, very little originality and even the games that I'd normally love disappointed (Final Fantasy, Syphon Filter, Metal Gear Solid and many others)

On an interesting note, I was speaking to someone Brazilian earlier this year and they told me the PS2 only got released there last year due to import and tax costs.
Thu 09/09/10 at 22:15
Regular
"THE HALOANATOR :D"
Well it is a bonus you can play ps1 games 2
Thu 09/09/10 at 14:04
Regular
"How Ironic"
PS2 is hands down the most successful console ever.

Microsoft never really managed to get the Xbox up to the same standard, and Nintendo were too busy with handheld, which is why it dominated so much. Mixed with the massive selection of games, and riding the success of the PS1, it was the perfect formula. I still have my chunky playstation :)
Thu 09/09/10 at 12:50
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Felt a bit nostalgic after posting my previous message, so I've set up the old Dreamcast and have now restarted Shenmue. Good times.

:)

Anyhoo, I believe the PS2 did so incredibly well because of it's vast array of good games, like most successful consoles. Plus it also had the benefit of GTA being an exclusive for so long, I know I bought a PS2 specifically for GTA3.
Thu 09/09/10 at 10:15
Regular
I did have Shenmue 2 but stupidly sold it! Never had the original. Fantastic games on Dreamcast though - but I fear Xbox Live Arcade may result in my Dreamcast finally reaching the attic...
Thu 09/09/10 at 09:54
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
Edgy wrote:
> The real question should be...why are Dreamcast games still in
> development (and yes, for the Dreamcast) with intention to
> release next year?

Unless it's Shenmue 3 that's a complete waste of time. I still have my Dreamcast solely for Shenmue 1&2.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.