GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who are the greatest bands of all time?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 07/09/10 at 22:45
Regular
"THE HALOANATOR :D"
The greatest bands in my opinion are Pink floyd, ledzepplin and sex pistols for sure.
Wed 08/09/10 at 19:16
Regular
"How Ironic"
In terms of sales/finance, The Beatles are definitely top of the pile, as Butch has said.

@pete- I've never seen System live, but I've watched a clip from some of their concerts, and I completely agree they are aweful in terms of vocals. Tankian's voice seems to die. You have to admit though, it's asking alot of him, SOAD's song are extremely vocal and rely on high notes alot of the time. The guy would be dead trying to mimic the CDs they produce, because Tankian can definitely sing, just look at his solo stuff.
Wed 08/09/10 at 18:10
Regular
"Monochromatic"
pb wrote:
> Because he isn't a band? Now the Jackson 5, that's different.
> They have had a huge impact on black music over the years.

They had a huge impact on black music in the same way S Club Juniors had an impact on pop music, ie, they didn't. They might be remembered but nothing sprang from them. There is a clear and direct line of progression and it goes

Ray Charles (or Billie Holiday)
to
James Brown (or Nina Simone)
to
Stevie Wonder (or Aretha Franklin. Line ends here for female soul singers)
to
Michael Jackson

And then rap and terrible R & B comes along to kill the progression. The music industry today is terribly stuck in it's era, having not really moved on since the rap movement in the late 80's and the Seattle grunge movement of the early 90's. Who was the last truly original act? Off the top of my head I'd probably say Bjork, near 20 years ago.

Anyway, greatest bands

* Puffs out cheeks *

Personal preference isn't it? Besides the obvious choices I've got to say Neutral Milk Hotel and I have a lot of love for Rilo Kiley. I'm still unsure whether Bat For Lashes qualifies as a band. The Killers.
Wed 08/09/10 at 15:02
"possibly impossible"
dean5 wrote:

>
> BTW. Anyone that mentions Michael Jackson in this thread should
> be banned.

Because he isn't a band? Now the Jackson 5, that's different. They have had a huge impact on black music over the years.

Greatest Bands for me are bands who change or influence music by introducing something that hasn't been done before or are so big in their field they're considered the best at what they do.

Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin, The Rolling Stones and The Beatles are up there with no arguments, whether you like them or not.

The Red Hot Chilli Peppers successfully put two sounds together to make something brand new and stuck at it.

Faith No More and Nine Inch Nails inspired many of the Nu Metal/Industrial bands of today.

Nirvana and Pearl Jam virtually drove the grunge era into existence, taking it on two different paths.

Queen mixed a rock/pop hybrid with intelligent lyrics and a theatrical style to create something many have since tried to copy.

There are many more in all different genres from Miami Sound Machine and Muse to early Aerosmith and Crowded House.
Wed 08/09/10 at 14:53
Regular
"I like turtles"
Metallica would probably get my vote.I still love the earlier stuff,hasn't dated at all IMO.St. Anger was garbage but they did redeem themselves a bit with Death Magnetic so I'll let them off !

SOAD are/were a great band but seriously went down in my estimation after I saw them live a few years ago.They were very disappointing,it was like they really couldn't be bothered.They did produce some great tracks though so suppose I could see my way to letting them off as well ! :)

Went to see Feeder a few years ago,thought they were rubbish.People were walking out half way through the set,there was no atmosphere and they were just boring TBH.Had to laugh though,someone in the crowd shouted ''play the one from Gran Turismo you f*****s !''.
Wed 08/09/10 at 13:19
Regular
Thanks butch and dean i value your opinions.

yeah to bring up justin beiber should occur a ban too :P
Wed 08/09/10 at 13:06
Staff Moderator
"Mr Dean"
Foo Fighters without a doubt. I have to say the amount of quality that has come from this band is unreal.

Feeder, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, System of a Down and Sex Pistols are amongst the better bands though. (Sex Pistols more for the meaning more then anything else)

BTW. Anyone that mentions Michael Jackson in this thread should be banned.
Wed 08/09/10 at 11:07
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Unfortunately a question like this is unlikely to ever be answered properly as it will all be subjective.

For what it is worth, I've never thought there was a 'greatest band of all time', mainly due to lack of an impartial method deciding as such.

However, if you do consider record sales, cultural impact and legacy, you cannot really look much further than a certain Liverpudlian four-piece from the 1960's.
Wed 08/09/10 at 00:14
Regular
"How Ironic"
Favourite band ever, that is a tough call. I'm a one track man, by that I mean I'll take one or two, even three tracks off a CD and put them on my iPod. I listen to alot of bands instead of following one. The one I've got the most songs from are System of a Down.
Tue 07/09/10 at 23:21
Regular
"Zebra Three 537-ONN"
I don't know about all time, however I like loads of bands and my favourite are Feeder. They are the only band that when they release a new album I have to get it straight away.
Tue 07/09/10 at 22:45
Regular
The greatest bands in my opinion are Pink floyd, ledzepplin and sex pistols for sure.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.