GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox: 'Not PC Enough'?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/04/03 at 18:13
Regular
When I chose to buy an Xbox part of the reason was that it was that basically it is a PC in a smaller box. As this is the case I was hoping that it would be perceived as a more adult orientated console. Sadly not. Whilst we have been treated to some truly great games I'd like to have a good moan. When are we going to get any of the following: A decent strategy game, Sim City 4 or Age of the Empires would be nice. A decent flight sim, IL-2 Sturmovik or European Air War would do. A point and click adventure, Monkey Island or Grim Fandango.
As much as I like my Xbox I'm now thinking of selling it and putting the money towards a PC, which isn't really what I want to do as PC's need upgrading too quickly, but this seems to be the only option if I want to play these games.
It just seems such a waste when the system is apparently so easy to program, that we haven't seen any of these PC classics. I wonder what Microsoft's take on this is? Why haven't they released a keyboard or a mouse, do they think it would be seen as an anoraks' console?
Anyway, it's food for thought, I just hope that Microsoft stop trying to keep up with Sony and offer us something more diverse and enriching.
Thu 17/04/03 at 21:39
Regular
Strategy games are best kept for PC's as a lot of them are slow moving and inbetween times I like to have the TV on :) The mouse and keyboard combination works a lot better for stretgy games in my opinion and the very nature of the games just suits the PC interface. Every strategy game I have played on a console can not hold a candle to the PC version.
Thu 17/04/03 at 20:07
Regular
"Remember me?"
Memorandum wrote:
> Now I might just have to go and get a PS2, and another thing: why have
> Nintendo not used a controller the same as the PS2's?

Because the PS2 controller is toss.
Thu 17/04/03 at 19:35
Regular
"aka memo aaka gayby"
I've been having a similar problem myself, but with a GameCube.

I originally bought it because I wanted PS2 style games, but the GameCube was cheaper so I got it expecting the same type of thing. I was wrong, badly wrong, why can't I get The Getaway on my GC, or GTA? Now I might just have to go and get a PS2, and another thing: why have Nintendo not used a controller the same as the PS2's?

:-|
Thu 17/04/03 at 19:25
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Congratulations Andrew.

I take it you sent this into X-Box magazine aswell, well done for getting letter of the month.

Or did you just copy this?

Meh.
Thu 17/04/03 at 19:16
Regular
Just like WS said, Strategy games just don't work on a console. And to be honest i'd rather play them on a PC. I love Age of Empires, but it'd just take the "fun" outta it on a console, you'd need a mouse and keyboard.

Xbox is'nt designed to be like a PC.
Thu 17/04/03 at 18:52
Regular
Strategy game just don't work well on consoles. And point and click games aren't what console owners want.

As much as it may seem to be one, the Xbox was not designed to be a scaled down PC in a box. If you want decent strategy games and point and click adventures then you want a PC. But remember that strat/point and click games generally aren't very demanding, you won't need a decent PC to play them on.
Thu 17/04/03 at 18:13
Regular
"I rule"
When I chose to buy an Xbox part of the reason was that it was that basically it is a PC in a smaller box. As this is the case I was hoping that it would be perceived as a more adult orientated console. Sadly not. Whilst we have been treated to some truly great games I'd like to have a good moan. When are we going to get any of the following: A decent strategy game, Sim City 4 or Age of the Empires would be nice. A decent flight sim, IL-2 Sturmovik or European Air War would do. A point and click adventure, Monkey Island or Grim Fandango.
As much as I like my Xbox I'm now thinking of selling it and putting the money towards a PC, which isn't really what I want to do as PC's need upgrading too quickly, but this seems to be the only option if I want to play these games.
It just seems such a waste when the system is apparently so easy to program, that we haven't seen any of these PC classics. I wonder what Microsoft's take on this is? Why haven't they released a keyboard or a mouse, do they think it would be seen as an anoraks' console?
Anyway, it's food for thought, I just hope that Microsoft stop trying to keep up with Sony and offer us something more diverse and enriching.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.