GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox: 'Not PC Enough'?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/04/03 at 18:13
Regular
When I chose to buy an Xbox part of the reason was that it was that basically it is a PC in a smaller box. As this is the case I was hoping that it would be perceived as a more adult orientated console. Sadly not. Whilst we have been treated to some truly great games I'd like to have a good moan. When are we going to get any of the following: A decent strategy game, Sim City 4 or Age of the Empires would be nice. A decent flight sim, IL-2 Sturmovik or European Air War would do. A point and click adventure, Monkey Island or Grim Fandango.
As much as I like my Xbox I'm now thinking of selling it and putting the money towards a PC, which isn't really what I want to do as PC's need upgrading too quickly, but this seems to be the only option if I want to play these games.
It just seems such a waste when the system is apparently so easy to program, that we haven't seen any of these PC classics. I wonder what Microsoft's take on this is? Why haven't they released a keyboard or a mouse, do they think it would be seen as an anoraks' console?
Anyway, it's food for thought, I just hope that Microsoft stop trying to keep up with Sony and offer us something more diverse and enriching.
Fri 25/04/03 at 18:27
Regular
"QPR 1974"
Lou Role wrote:
> Congratulations Andrew.
>
> I take it you sent this into X-Box magazine aswell, well done for
> getting letter of the month.
>
> Or did you just copy this?
>
> Meh.
Fri 25/04/03 at 18:11
Regular
"I rule"
Hi!
Sat 19/04/03 at 16:10
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Top Gun isn't out on Xbox, but like Deadly Skies it is a rancid piece of gaming cr!p best avoided on all formats.
Sat 19/04/03 at 14:15
Regular
is top gun out on the xbox? cos if it is andrew why not bu that, its a fying game
Sat 19/04/03 at 14:05
"slightlyshortertagl"
Mouse and Keyboard for XBox?

Simple.. Google it.

You can just about plug anything that come with a USB cable into an XBox. XBox controller posts are just fancy USBs
Fri 18/04/03 at 23:20
Regular
"Laughingstock"
There's no doubt that MicroSoft won't sanction more games of the type you mention because they are conscious of not giving critics the opportunity to label the console "it's just a PC in a box".

I think as time pases and the Xbox is accepted on the console 'scene', we'll start to see more "PC-type games" coming out: like flight sims, strategy sims, mouse & keyboard, and personally I'd welcome this.

But at the moment, in these early days, they desperately want to get a foothold in the console market and don't want to project a so-called "nerdy" image by releasing too many PC-type/adult titles.

There are quite a few games of this type already available like Champ Manager [hopefully Champ Manager 4 soon], Morrowind, Commandos 2, etc. I'd like to see a flight sim and perhaps a serious golf sim. Hopefully we'll see a few more games like this in the future. But at the same time, I'm relieved to see that excellent developers like SEGA and Tecmo are committed to producing exclusive games for Xbox.
Fri 18/04/03 at 20:18
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Basically, every console that has had a mouse/keyboard never had enough games to make it worth buying them in the first place, and any developer with a brain can utilise the control pad for a control method to imitate the mouse/keyboard comboe for most games.

I very much doubt we'll see any flight sim of great detail because they're not likely to appeal to enough of the console's demographic to make it worth the effort. Yep, Steel Battalion did well, and it's pretty much a sim, but fun also, but Capcom knew it had minority appeal so restricted production knowing that it could still turn a profit by doing so. A Flight sim is unlikely to have that kind of appeal to it. Steel Battalion sold because of the whole mech/anime/wacky japanese game appeal, whereas flight sims are, to me and many others, dull.

Strategy games are something that can be done well on the console but remember the console is only just over a year old and has a great variety of games, the PS2 has very few strategy games I can think of and has been out far longer.

Xbox isn't for everyone, but for a lot of people it sure beats the PC, on price, ease of use, games, and the fact you can concentrate always on games, oh there's this Live! thing as well.....
Fri 18/04/03 at 14:10
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> everyone's intitled to their own opinion.

In my opinion, you're a dweeb.

['Dweeb'! Whatta word!]
Fri 18/04/03 at 11:05
Regular
Daveus wrote:
> everyone's intitled to their own opinion.

If thats directed at me then maybe I should direct you towards Andrew's other post. Who contested the fact that it was an opinion? I was merely saying that for me Strategy games don't work on consoles.
Fri 18/04/03 at 09:18
Regular
"BOSE"
everyone's intitled to their own opinion.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.