GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Online 'cube gaming "years away""

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 18/04/03 at 13:48
Regular
Just read this on GamesRadar.com

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp? subsectionid=160&articleid=65198&pagetype=2

Seems they also have concerns about the lacking number of quality titles on the machine, which I feel is a valid point.

Thoughts/opinions?

-----

Gamecube online gaming is years away... at best
[17/04/2003: 15:28]

Straight from the horses mouth we get the news that comes as no surprise whatsoever

Promises, failed hopes, unrealised dates and titles, it seems if you're a Nintendo fan (as we most definitely are), you just get used to these usual suspects after the new console hits town. And now online gaming has finally been given the thumbs down for quite some time by Nintendo.

Unsurprising news, granted, seeing as Ninty's online gaming plans has been an enigma since they first mentioned it. Well, now we have the official word on the matter, as spoken by George Harrison (senior vice president of marketing in America) in an interview with CNN.

In short, Ninty online gaming is "probably a few years away. It really depends on the success of the GameCube and whether people think it's worth the investment."

Nintendo are wary of online gaming and it's likely success, and if you couple that with the disappointing sales of Gamecube plus the comment above, do you really think online gaming on your Cube is likely to happen - ever?

Of course, if quality Gamecube titles are coming at you left, right and centre, you won't care too much. Further, Nintendo may be right in waiting, console online gaming is an untested market and might fall well short of expectations.

The problem for Ninty is that quality titles are few and far between and Gamecube lost the current number two console slot to Xbox in fairly quick fashion. Wrap all this up with the fact they're shunning online gaming (which many consider to be the future of games) and Nintendo starts to look less and less a main player in the games industry.

Hopefully, time will prove that thought very wrong...
Fri 18/04/03 at 13:48
Regular
"Wobble"
Just read this on GamesRadar.com

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp? subsectionid=160&articleid=65198&pagetype=2

Seems they also have concerns about the lacking number of quality titles on the machine, which I feel is a valid point.

Thoughts/opinions?

-----

Gamecube online gaming is years away... at best
[17/04/2003: 15:28]

Straight from the horses mouth we get the news that comes as no surprise whatsoever

Promises, failed hopes, unrealised dates and titles, it seems if you're a Nintendo fan (as we most definitely are), you just get used to these usual suspects after the new console hits town. And now online gaming has finally been given the thumbs down for quite some time by Nintendo.

Unsurprising news, granted, seeing as Ninty's online gaming plans has been an enigma since they first mentioned it. Well, now we have the official word on the matter, as spoken by George Harrison (senior vice president of marketing in America) in an interview with CNN.

In short, Ninty online gaming is "probably a few years away. It really depends on the success of the GameCube and whether people think it's worth the investment."

Nintendo are wary of online gaming and it's likely success, and if you couple that with the disappointing sales of Gamecube plus the comment above, do you really think online gaming on your Cube is likely to happen - ever?

Of course, if quality Gamecube titles are coming at you left, right and centre, you won't care too much. Further, Nintendo may be right in waiting, console online gaming is an untested market and might fall well short of expectations.

The problem for Ninty is that quality titles are few and far between and Gamecube lost the current number two console slot to Xbox in fairly quick fashion. Wrap all this up with the fact they're shunning online gaming (which many consider to be the future of games) and Nintendo starts to look less and less a main player in the games industry.

Hopefully, time will prove that thought very wrong...
Fri 18/04/03 at 13:54
Regular
When I bought my GC I wasn't expecting any online games.

In fact, no one was until the XBox came along, when suddenly it's the only thing that matters anymore.
Fri 18/04/03 at 13:55
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
If Nintendo were to take the bull by the horns and run a dedicated gaming service, for free, with games like Mario Kart and F-zero online compatible. It wouldnt just give Xbox live a run for its money, it would rape it. Xbox live has the mechanics in place to be great, but it still has the broadband only issue, and the fact that there arent many great games available for it. If Nintendo games were online, they would have the market sewn up.
Fri 18/04/03 at 13:59
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Online gaming may well be great. But I hojestly don't believe it is affordable. Even if you have an ISP with free call charges, there's still these monthly subscription fees which many people simply can't afford to pay on top of their usual internet bills.
Fri 18/04/03 at 16:58
"For the horde!!!!"
Lag, online bills, idiots bugging me, yep i'm ready looking forward to it.
Fri 18/04/03 at 17:11
Regular
I still say the best kind of multiplayer gaming is when all competitors are in the same room.

After all, you get the fun of verbally communicating, gambling (with matchsticks ofcourse Mr. Taxman), and basically having a good old laugh without the annoying txt talk, and all the other stupid elements that currently are a part of online gaming.
Fri 18/04/03 at 17:31
Regular
Oh the humanity no Online gaming how will I cope. Please! Nintendo don't have the installed userbase to have a money making online game. Even the Sims and Final Fantasy... world reknown games made a loss.

Stupid... Online gaming is a few years away Nintendo are right.
Fri 18/04/03 at 17:32
Regular
"Ghosts Can't Die!"
When you think about it Nintendo are being a little ignorant. If Zelda Wind Waker was apparently the most pre ordered game in America ever, then imagine the total sales if Zelda went online. Or Smash Bros or Masrio Kart. But I have to agree with Edgy, it's better when everyone is the same room.
Fri 18/04/03 at 17:34
Regular
And please do tell me how you make Zelda, a game based on a solid single player adventure, into a successful online game.
Fri 18/04/03 at 17:35
Regular
If Zelda changed to multiplayer gaming, like PSO, it would ruin it.

Sure, it would be great at first. But then the servers get switched off and you're left with a disc that ain't worth the plastic it's covered in.

Anyway, Zelda quests have always been brilliant as single player quests, why change that?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.