GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"End of World Action Plan"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/08/10 at 08:17
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
With 2012 only a few years away and the Mayan prophecy of the end of life as we know it, who is prepared?*

Well, as though 2012 is an interesting topic in itself to debate, this isn't really the purpose of the thread. For the sake of this thread, say it is definitely going to happen. Maybe some major diaster such as the solar space storm hits a year early, Yellowstone decides that it's long overdue for a blast or one of the asteroids we haven't seen quite yet takes a sudden detour and aims for the Spanish Coastline (well...the weather is good this time of year!).

Does the country/worlds actually have action plans for big events such as these? Or do they leave this into the hands of the Gods?

I'm sure on a global scale incident that charity aid relief schemes will be pointless as we will all be looking after our own backs. Lots of events would cause huge problems in our communication systems (if not wipe them out completely) and as we saw with Hurrican Katrina, looting will be rife.

Is it time to start thinking of a personal action plan? I honestly wouldn't have faith in anything the powers that be may have planned for us - as I don't think overstocking on antivirals (swine flu incident) or road salt (last winter's weather) did any good whatsoever...

Ideas?

*And I know someone will bring this part of the thread up... and from my research into the subject, I worded it "end of life as we know it" as it may not be a negative/end of world thing, but may just be a spell of peace, enlightenment or perhaps the messiah will pay another visit...or nothing will happen at all. Theonly way we'll know is to sit back and hold tight!
Mon 16/08/10 at 21:24
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Buy a copy of The Zombie Survival Guide... I'm sure many of the handy hints apply to disasters in general.
Mon 16/08/10 at 17:15
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I can see the posters now:

"For one night only, end of world special,

Hear Sonic Chris' rendition of the Ghostbusters' Theme live at the Millenium Stadium.

It's simply to die for."

EDIT: And you have narrowed it down to a city again. Well done!
Mon 16/08/10 at 16:12
Regular
"How Ironic"
Grrrr just go for Cardiff ;D
Mon 16/08/10 at 15:45
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Sonic Chris wrote:
> HM wrote:
> Good luck finding me... ;) Especially if it happens in the
> next
> few years...
>
> I read this on your facebook! I'm sure you're planning to move
> to Wales.... ;)

Whole country...any area inparticular? ;)

> *EDIT* And HM wasn't implying that he condones mass murder, I
> mean he's crazy, but he's not that stupid ;)

Thanks...loony I am indeed. Evil dictator I am not :p
Mon 16/08/10 at 15:06
Regular
"How Ironic"
HM wrote:
> Good luck finding me... ;) Especially if it happens in the next
> few years...

I read this on your facebook! I'm sure you're planning to move to Wales.... ;)

*EDIT* And HM wasn't implying that he condones mass murder, I mean he's crazy, but he's not that stupid ;)
Mon 16/08/10 at 13:46
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
HM wrote:
> Although I may sound horrible, I think a good near-apocalyptic
> event would be good for the human race. I think we have outgrown
> the planet...

And to clarify overall what I meant by this comment before it turned into a "HM vs the World" debate - it was to imply that it would cause the survivors to pull together and work as a team rather than fight over a plot of land, who supports the better football team etc. etc.
Mon 16/08/10 at 13:34
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I don't mean man made mass murders. I don't mean any particular race, creed, colour anything like that - I mean people in general. We are of too many. Even if it was me that was for the chop.

The fox and hare model I was trying to explain earlier seems to be very skewed for the human race. I'm sure you are familiar with this model. If we have too many foxes, the number of hares will decrease (they eat all the hares). If that happens, there is less food for the fox so they die out. As they die out the remaining hares can repopulate and increase in number and the cycle repeats.

As for humans, say we were the foxes. Run out of hares? We'll just make new hares/new food/move to another corner of the forest/etc etc. We will get caught out from this imbalance eventually.

When I say the balance is going out, i'm suggesting that Gaia/Mother Earth/Whatever you want to call it will strike and force the balance for us. It happened to the dinosaurs, it may have happened in the past, but the Earth is living (ok, not in the traditional sense of the term alive) but it has set homeostasis and the more we disrupt it, the more the planet is going to push back.

I don't want mass death. I don't condone the horrendous events that happened between races in the past. I don't incite hate or anything like that. I am purely suggesting that the ecology is going to fight back.

EDIT: I apologise for the comment:

"I do value life and hate to see it taken away, be it hand of god or hand of man, but when they do happen I do believe they happen for some sort of reason."

I had intended that the "hand of god" events were happening for some sort of reason, not the hand of man. I should have worded it a bit more carefully. So I do apologise.

I believe all are equal and I've done alot of charity work, fund raising for other societies home and abroad and fight for equality where possible - often if it means I personally lose out on some of my own benefit or there is direct impact on my life.

I admit some people are evil and any nonesense that "God told me to do it" or "I was possessed by the devil" is nonesense. We maintain control for our own actions and all the horrendous events in the past cannot be excused.
Mon 16/08/10 at 13:18
Regular
HM wrote:

> If you think about the world we are living, overpopulation is
> common in many countries. Take ours for example. We have an
> aging population that we are struggling to support. Others are
> overpopulated in poorer countries and disease is rife. I do
> value life and hate to see it taken away, be it hand of god or
> hand of man, but when they do happen I do believe they happen for
> some sort of reason.
>

So the ethnic cleansing of Jews in Germany, Native Americans by white colonists in America, Aborigines by white colonists in Australia, Hutus by the Tutsis in Africa, Tibetans in China, Chechens in Russia... they all happen for 'some sort of reason' - implying it's a greater, higher cause/being - and not just the insane prejudice and hatred of a government/army and its people?

You see, comments like that (it's not just you, it's quite a common mindset amongst the British public... how 'lucky' they are that they were born into a country with a welfare safety net and adequate provisions for such disasters - somehow that gives them the self righteous position to look down on other countries not in such a privileged position) just encourage me to donate more to international charities, rather than home ones that help this country. What's the point, when the money will essentially go towards strengthening a stuck up peoples?
Mon 16/08/10 at 12:09
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
Butch wrote:
> Are you suggesting a little bleach in the gene pool wouldn't be a
> bad thing? Or that certain parts of the World could do with not
> being there any more?

Just a decline in general population numbers. Gaia will prevail no doubt.

If you think about the world we are living, overpopulation is common in many countries. Take ours for example. We have an aging population that we are struggling to support. Others are overpopulated in poorer countries and disease is rife. I do value life and hate to see it taken away, be it hand of god or hand of man, but when they do happen I do believe they happen for some sort of reason.

I must admit I sound horrible saying it. We cull other creatures to control certain eco-systems and I'm sure there is a hand somewhere that will cull us (a species as a whole) to manintain the eco-system of the Earth.

apologies for sounding evil
Mon 16/08/10 at 11:50
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Are you suggesting a little bleach in the gene pool wouldn't be a bad thing? Or that certain parts of the World could do with not being there any more?

Either way, you are sounding more and more like a villain in an action film every day...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.