GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pics Problem."

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/08/10 at 00:42
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Mrs WBG here.

I've downloaded some designs which,when positioned on one of my InstantPro skyscrapers, show as having a square white background. On contacting the Artist she said the background should be transparent and that it must either be due to my browser or the method I used to 'save'.
Feeling none the wiser I did manage to find out that 'jif ' format was not good news,so changed it to 'jpg'.
But the white square is still present. What am I to do?
Is this question ok for Freeola?
Fri 06/08/10 at 20:30
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> You'll need some graphics software on your PC ....

Serif Photoplus 9 SE can be downloaded free, no lock outs etc, and has an Export Optimizer feature. This allows you to save any image in whatever format you like and also optimize it for the web. Maybe just what you want on your PC...I've used version 8 for many years for exactly that feature.

PhotoPlus 9SE
Fri 06/08/10 at 19:46
"Are you sure?"
You'll need some graphics software on your PC or you could use a free online graphics editor.

I describe here how to create a transparent png for free

[s]Hmmm...[/s]
Fri 06/08/10 at 19:36
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
LukeM wrote:
> For best quality (full semi-transparency support) save as PNG24,
> otherwise save as GIF or PNG8. I believe we have a PNG fix on
> InstantPro to ensure they work in IE.

Not working with GIF or PNG. What's different about PNG 24 & PNG 8? Don't seem tto have them on my Windows Vista.
How would I access it/them?
Fri 06/08/10 at 12:16
Regular
"Embrace the Martian"
For best quality (full semi-transparency support) save as PNG24, otherwise save as GIF or PNG8. I believe we have a PNG fix on InstantPro to ensure they work in IE.
Fri 06/08/10 at 10:35
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
Hmmm... wrote:
> The 'Artist' is correct. Some very old Browsers don't support
> transparency.
>
> The image will need to be either in GIF or PNG format.
> I don't believe you can have transparent JPGs.
>
> If you could supply a link that would be handy.
>
> [s]Hmmm...[/s]
> My Freeola
> InstantPro Site

>
>
> EDIT: I see Numnut's posted while I was writing... :¬)

That you have suggested similar to me makes me feel a lot better about my answer!
Fri 06/08/10 at 09:18
"Are you sure?"
The 'Artist' is correct. Some very old Browsers don't support transparency.

The image will need to be either in GIF or PNG format.
I don't believe you can have transparent JPGs.

If you could supply a link that would be handy.

[s]Hmmm...[/s] My Freeola InstantPro Site

EDIT: I see Numnut's posted while I was writing... :¬)
Fri 06/08/10 at 09:13
Staff
"Look! There's a..."
Not that I know a great deal about images, but having had a quick look in Photoshop, if I have an image with a transparent background and save it as a JPEG, a nice white background is added, but if I save as a .PNG file I keep the transparent background.

Might be worth trying saving as a .PNG file
Fri 06/08/10 at 00:42
Regular
"(Given by wife)"
Mrs WBG here.

I've downloaded some designs which,when positioned on one of my InstantPro skyscrapers, show as having a square white background. On contacting the Artist she said the background should be transparent and that it must either be due to my browser or the method I used to 'save'.
Feeling none the wiser I did manage to find out that 'jif ' format was not good news,so changed it to 'jpg'.
But the white square is still present. What am I to do?
Is this question ok for Freeola?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.