GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Kids TV is rubbish today"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/11/01 at 10:58
Regular
Me and mate were talking after watching little kids play Jerry Springer outside my place, and we came to a startling realisation.
TV for kids is rubbish these days.
Those 20+ will remember when I start to talk, and those of you that don’t remember owe it to yourself to try and watch the DVDs so you’ll understand.
There are no action series for kids anymore. And this is why you are now a generation of delinquents and slack-jawed tv babies.
When I were a lad, many hours would be spent playing outside with my mates, we didn’t have computer games back then you see. Oh no, we made our own fun up.
And we had class tv shows to base our fantasy play on.
I’m going to throw a few names out and see who goes “Oh yeah! I forgot about that!”.

Knight Rider – David Hasslehoff, a talking car and Hasslehoff also playing evil twin Hasslehoff. This was a class show, with his car foiling crimes and him generally standing about looking manly and white-afro.

Manimal – Simon McCorkindale was a bloke that had the ability to morph into animals when needed. This usually entailed him turning into a chicken or ferret or equally useless animal. Used a lot of stock footage of nature programmes.

Automan – The only bit I remember is his car that turned right-angles at 120mph.

Tales of The Golden Monkey – a 1940s thing with a bloke in a seaplane searching for treasure, usually getting into adventures utilising a seaplane.

Monkey – Monkey, Pigsy, Tripitaka and Sandy. Chinese kung-fu series with Monkey flying on a pink cloud and using his stick in mad ways. Tripitake was a boy. Or a girl? I could never tell. This programme ruled and survives to this day.

The A-Team – If I need to tell you about this, you are a newborn.

CHIPS – LAPD Motorcycle cop show with Erik Estrada and the other bloke. They rocked, and many mates rode together on their choppers with cards in the spokes.

Magnum – Tom Selleck as Magnum PI. A detective series on Hawaii with ferraris, Higgins and his dobermans Zeus and Apollo. One of the greats.

The Fall Guy – Lee Majors as a stunt-man turned bounty-hunter. And though he’s not the kind to kiss or tell, he’s been seen with ladies. It’s true they hide his body in the hay. A-hey-hey. He might fall from tall building, or trash a brand new car, ‘cos he’s the unknown stuntman that made Eastwood such a star.

Airwolf – Stealth helicopter series with Jan Michael-Vincent and Ernest Borgnine. This was better than Blue Thunder, as proved in Log in The Creek Episode 5

BJ and The Bear – Only I remember this it would seem. The adventures of a long-distance lorry driver and his chimpanzee side-kick. My cat is called BJ in honour of this show.

Buck Rogers – Gil Gerard and his paunch, stuffed into a white silk jumpsuit. He would foil space-villains with the assistance of Twiki (biddy-biddy-biddy) and a woman.

---

These shows rocked, and there is nothing like them on today. Where are the action series aimed at kids? You are not learning the difference between right & wrong with action heroes. I think if we still had episodic, hour-long action shows then this world would be a better place altogether.
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:28
Regular
monkey_man wrote:
> I'm glad someone else mentioned Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors because that
> rocked!

I think that ruled. Didn't they jump in big lawnmovers with spikes on them and attack big plants with spikes on them? Hehehe. Now we have Pokemon. I'll like to see Pikachu face a Wheeled Warrior.

Pikachu, use..Damn, it's dead.
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:25
Regular
Grandprix wrote:
> I remember watching Knightmare. I used to get frustrated because no one could
> ever walk in a straight line. And how come the last one in the series always
> won?

because only they were the true team! Um, yeah.. Wasn't the helmet wicked.

" You may have a vast army of skeletons and many lethal weapons, but I have a big helmet and a bag of cheese."
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:21
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
I'm glad someone else mentioned Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors because that rocked! Dungeons and Dragons kicked booty too.
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:20
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I remember watching Knightmare. I used to get frustrated because no one could ever walk in a straight line. And how come the last one in the series always won?
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:17
Yeh, Knightmare Was Cool, But What About Miami-7?
(He He He)
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:16
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
"Spellcast, C, U, N, ..." Knightmare was da bomb!
Tue 20/11/01 at 16:09
Regular
Sigh..I may be only 16, but I remember quality kids TV, the best of which was... KNIGHTMARE!

Anyone remember Knightmare?
Tue 20/11/01 at 14:44
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
And the original Charlie's Angels.

I had a poster of them on my wall from "Look-In" when I was young, but I had to take it down because their eyes followed me around my room and I felt menaced.

Damn Dirty Female Threesome
Tue 20/11/01 at 14:42
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Goatboy wrote:

I also remember books at Primary School with Bangers
> and Mash, two chimps that wore t-shirts.

I think they made a cartoon series of Bangers and Mash. I used to watch that. Don't remember much about it though.
Tue 20/11/01 at 14:39
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
The Man from Atlantis: Patrick Duffy swimming like someone has tied his feet together in bright yellow pants

The Incredible Hulk: Bill Bixby turning into Lou Ferrignou whenever he got agged.

Spiderman - I only remember the episode when he went to the fancy dress ball and everyone was dressed like him

Wonder Woman: Linda Carter. Meeeeow

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.