GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An X-perience"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 18:23
Regular
Whether you’re a Ninty, one of the few surviving Dreamcast fans or have a deadly case of Sonyritas {say it: Sony-ritas} you can’t help notice the hype that is the X-Box.

Like most of you all know the X-Box is the first console to be released by the very successful Microsoft based in Nirvana. With many of gamers hating the X-Box and many gamers loving it so much they’d give up just about anything just to get their grubby little mitts on one. The success of the X-Box is something for the mere future to decide and something that one can’t predict.

After weeks of reading all of your replies to the X-Box and Microsoft topics I have come up with a simple conclusion, that most of you hate it. I for one cannot make up my mind whether to hate it or like it for I am no one to judge a console at such at late stage of time.

But the thing that puzzles me is why you all hate the X-Box so much. I doubt not one single one of you have seen the games in action never mind actually playing it! So why on Earth do you despise it so much?
Many of you say it’s your hate for Bill Gates. But again, why? The mans an utter genius. He’s got you all hating him but at the same time making you use his software making billions out of it! Every business moves he’s made has outsmarted the opposition, so what’s to stop him in the console market?

Many of you hate the X-Box for the simple reason it’s too big! Now we all know that this is just a lame excuse to hate the Xbox. Like the saying goes, “You can’t judge a book by its cover.” Which is, I think, the cleverest sentence ever created by man and the most true one at that!
The joy-pads having a massive, plastic green plastic emerald in the middle of it is also one of your insane excuses! Like I mentioned above, the quality of the games and the console has nothing to do with what the console looks like.

I don’t mind if you all say the PS2 is going to plumage down in sales, as you think it’s a rubbish console, as you’ve most probably tested it out and that’s fair.
I don’t mind if you say the Dreamcast is an utter failure. Because you’ve played and seen the effects that have occurred with the DC in the world of consoles.
But what I do mind is you dumping the X-Box before it’s even be released in the UK is out of order.

So you can see why I’m puzzled why most of you all hate the X-Box. I, like many of you are not to keen on Microsoft, but I’m willing to it give a go and see if I like it after actually playing the X-Box! I don’t think it will do well, but I predict that, not think it. There’s a big difference if you think about it.

So if you can give me any fair and sensible reasons for why you hate the X-Box with vengeance. I’d be happy to take your theory into account. Or even say why you like it…

But with games in the making like Jet Set Radio Future, Halo and Dead or Alive 3, it’s going to be an X-perience at that.

Thanks you for your time.
Tue 20/11/01 at 17:29
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Sibs wrote:

its controller shows no innovation, just looks like a
> combination of the other stuff in the market with a pointless logo on it (again,
Now this is the Internet, and you could easily lie as your probably on the other side of the country sitting in a room trying to go behind our backs, but to judge it without having ago on it first is a bit unfair.

Look at the PS and PS2 controls, The G-Cube have nicked a few ideas from them along with other companies! No-ones complaining about the G-Cube.

People also say Bill Gates nicked all the software he created. So what. I never believe rumours like that! There just a waste of time probably made up by a group of haters!

Allot of hate towards Bill Gates is just plain jealously, and deep down somewhere I feel sorry for the guy. For all you know he could of made all that software and haters of Microsoft could of started all those rumours off!

So remember, next time you come back, and this goes to the rest of you MS haters. Don't forget to bring some proof with you.
Thanks...
Tue 20/11/01 at 15:52
Regular
"accidental superher"
Dringo wrote:
> Although SEGA have comitted to Gamecube more than the other with Shenmue 2 GC
> bound apparently, Sonic, PSOv2, Virtual Striker, Super munkey ball, outrun is
> rumoured and ssssooooooooooooo many many many more.

shenmue 2 is x box bound.... (exclusively most prob)
pso ver 2 is also going to x box
outrun 2 is going to x box ( exclusively i think)
Tue 20/11/01 at 11:53
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Sibs wrote:
> First Why I hate Bill Gates:

He didn't even design the software he's getting
> rich(er) off. He stole Windows off some company that hadn't patented it

No he didnt...

He did nick a load of ideas from Macs GUI...

But it was Apple who stole the idea from Rank Xerox, (who failed to patent it)

Anyway, now Xbox...

hurts the
> hands a lot after short playing time (first major reason not to like).

See... now I've heard completly the opposite... I understand its tougher for 'smaller' hands... but since a lot of the titles are aimed at a more adult 20-something market, it shouldnt be such a problem?

> Microsoft are also just trying to say it is the most powerful thing out and

Isnt that EXCATLY how Nintendo tried to sell the N64? ... The fastest most powerful console in the world?

:)
Tue 20/11/01 at 10:52
Regular
JaCeeUK wrote:
> I think, like it says in the topic that Bill Gates is a genius. He’s got you all
> brain-washed. How a guy can be hated across the world but still able to sell
> millions of software a day outstands me!

The reason that most of us buy or use Windows operating systems is because they are standard with most PC's. If you buy a PC from Special Reserve, you have to have Windows XP with it, you can't have Linux or get an Apple Mac, you have to have the limited stock they've got.

It's not Special REserve, or Time, or Tiny, or PC World, or Dixons, or Curry's or anyone elses fault though.

Bill Gates was the first to have the Windows GUI OS (Graphical User Interface - Operating System) like the ones used on the current windows systems used by a large amount of computer users and that's how he became a multi-billionaire.

More and more people changed from the old Command Prompt and DOS (Disk Operating System) to the new, better looking, faster and more efficient Windows systems. Of course the original versions weren't as good as Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 and XP, however they were much easier to use if you didn't like typing to find files and folders and to run them.

This is what you'd have to do to try and run Winmine (minesweeper), standard with Windows 95 in Dos:

c:\
cd windows
c:\windows
cd startm~1
c:\windows\start menu
cd progra~1
c:\windows\start menu\programs
cd access~1
c:\windows\start menu\programs\accessories
cd games
c:\windows\start menu\programs\accessories\games
winmine.exe

and then the game would run.

If you knew the whole command line you could type in the prompt:

cd c:\windows\startm~1\progra~1\access~1\games

then

winmine.exe

(This is all depending that the filenames are the same on your computer)

On Windows however, you are able to use the mouse to click through a couple menus avoiding all the annoying typing.

Because, in the past when Windows started out, so many people bought it for their PC's, software developers (not just games developers) started making thier products so that they are compatable with Windows.

The alternative at the time was the Apple Mac', however, the Mac' was then (and still is) better for graphic design. It used to use only one mouse button and so software had to be edited to suit the Mac's input device, and the OS itself was slightly different. So there wasn't as much software made for the Apple computers.

So, because software, and soon after hardware, was being designed for use with Windows systems, people thought that they were the best to buy and so the market grew. Bill Gates who programmed it, was lucky as he pocketed all the money made, whereas everyone else had to fork out the money to be able to afford the expensive technology and the expensive software in the first place.

So that's the main reason why most of us use Windows. It's more widely available, cheaper (because it usually comes preloaded on computers nowadays) and more software and hardware is compatable with it.

It's not through our own choice.
Mon 19/11/01 at 23:43
Geez, I've noticed it's been X this and X that recently with Microsoft. So much for imagination, eh? Example: X-box, Windows XP. The End.
Mon 19/11/01 at 22:24
Regular
Although SEGA have comitted to Gamecube more than the other with Shenmue 2 GC bound apparently, Sonic, PSOv2, Virtual Striker, Super munkey ball, outrun is rumoured and ssssooooooooooooo many many many more.
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:28
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
First Why I hate Bill Gates:

He didn't even design the software he's getting rich(er) off. He stole Windows off some company that hadn't patented it and then started to sell it. He is also a symbol of how much power a single business and individual can weild over so many. We often don't choose Windows, it comes on our PCs when we get them, and any Windows opposition is wiped, as Gates sues em or whatever for infringing copyright of the program he stole in the first place!!!

Anyway, now Xbox...

It is big and chunky (down point, but no reason to hate it), its controller shows no innovation, just looks like a combination of the other stuff in the market with a pointless logo on it (again, not a reason to hate, but downside) and the controller (allegedly) hurts the hands a lot after short playing time (first major reason not to like). I have also seen very few games that impress me on it (although Halo looks good). Microsoft are also just trying to say it is the most powerful thing out and therefore best by default and not actually showing games to hype it (similar to Sony, but personally I don't like Sony either).

I really don't HATE Xbox. I've never considered getting one. It's Cube all the way for me!

(see, advertising in those WLTs really DOES work!)
Mon 19/11/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Hoo Har"
I think, like it says in the topic that Bill Gates is a genius. He’s got you all brain-washed. How a guy can be hated across the world but still able to sell millions of software a day outstands me!
Mon 19/11/01 at 19:48
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
I am probably one of the only X-Box / Microsoft fans on here. By that, I mean that I am probably one of the only X-Box / Microsoft fans on here who likes Bill Gates. In my opinion, you are not a true X-Box / Microsoft fan until you support Bill Gates. I don't you what you all have against him, unless there's a missing link that you all see, that I don't. Any people opposing Bill Gates, please reply to this post and tell me what's so bad about him? Oh, by the way, nice post Jaz.

Firebalt.
Mon 19/11/01 at 18:23
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Whether you’re a Ninty, one of the few surviving Dreamcast fans or have a deadly case of Sonyritas {say it: Sony-ritas} you can’t help notice the hype that is the X-Box.

Like most of you all know the X-Box is the first console to be released by the very successful Microsoft based in Nirvana. With many of gamers hating the X-Box and many gamers loving it so much they’d give up just about anything just to get their grubby little mitts on one. The success of the X-Box is something for the mere future to decide and something that one can’t predict.

After weeks of reading all of your replies to the X-Box and Microsoft topics I have come up with a simple conclusion, that most of you hate it. I for one cannot make up my mind whether to hate it or like it for I am no one to judge a console at such at late stage of time.

But the thing that puzzles me is why you all hate the X-Box so much. I doubt not one single one of you have seen the games in action never mind actually playing it! So why on Earth do you despise it so much?
Many of you say it’s your hate for Bill Gates. But again, why? The mans an utter genius. He’s got you all hating him but at the same time making you use his software making billions out of it! Every business moves he’s made has outsmarted the opposition, so what’s to stop him in the console market?

Many of you hate the X-Box for the simple reason it’s too big! Now we all know that this is just a lame excuse to hate the Xbox. Like the saying goes, “You can’t judge a book by its cover.” Which is, I think, the cleverest sentence ever created by man and the most true one at that!
The joy-pads having a massive, plastic green plastic emerald in the middle of it is also one of your insane excuses! Like I mentioned above, the quality of the games and the console has nothing to do with what the console looks like.

I don’t mind if you all say the PS2 is going to plumage down in sales, as you think it’s a rubbish console, as you’ve most probably tested it out and that’s fair.
I don’t mind if you say the Dreamcast is an utter failure. Because you’ve played and seen the effects that have occurred with the DC in the world of consoles.
But what I do mind is you dumping the X-Box before it’s even be released in the UK is out of order.

So you can see why I’m puzzled why most of you all hate the X-Box. I, like many of you are not to keen on Microsoft, but I’m willing to it give a go and see if I like it after actually playing the X-Box! I don’t think it will do well, but I predict that, not think it. There’s a big difference if you think about it.

So if you can give me any fair and sensible reasons for why you hate the X-Box with vengeance. I’d be happy to take your theory into account. Or even say why you like it…

But with games in the making like Jet Set Radio Future, Halo and Dead or Alive 3, it’s going to be an X-perience at that.

Thanks you for your time.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.