GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"An X-perience"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 19/11/01 at 18:23
Regular
Whether you’re a Ninty, one of the few surviving Dreamcast fans or have a deadly case of Sonyritas {say it: Sony-ritas} you can’t help notice the hype that is the X-Box.

Like most of you all know the X-Box is the first console to be released by the very successful Microsoft based in Nirvana. With many of gamers hating the X-Box and many gamers loving it so much they’d give up just about anything just to get their grubby little mitts on one. The success of the X-Box is something for the mere future to decide and something that one can’t predict.

After weeks of reading all of your replies to the X-Box and Microsoft topics I have come up with a simple conclusion, that most of you hate it. I for one cannot make up my mind whether to hate it or like it for I am no one to judge a console at such at late stage of time.

But the thing that puzzles me is why you all hate the X-Box so much. I doubt not one single one of you have seen the games in action never mind actually playing it! So why on Earth do you despise it so much?
Many of you say it’s your hate for Bill Gates. But again, why? The mans an utter genius. He’s got you all hating him but at the same time making you use his software making billions out of it! Every business moves he’s made has outsmarted the opposition, so what’s to stop him in the console market?

Many of you hate the X-Box for the simple reason it’s too big! Now we all know that this is just a lame excuse to hate the Xbox. Like the saying goes, “You can’t judge a book by its cover.” Which is, I think, the cleverest sentence ever created by man and the most true one at that!
The joy-pads having a massive, plastic green plastic emerald in the middle of it is also one of your insane excuses! Like I mentioned above, the quality of the games and the console has nothing to do with what the console looks like.

I don’t mind if you all say the PS2 is going to plumage down in sales, as you think it’s a rubbish console, as you’ve most probably tested it out and that’s fair.
I don’t mind if you say the Dreamcast is an utter failure. Because you’ve played and seen the effects that have occurred with the DC in the world of consoles.
But what I do mind is you dumping the X-Box before it’s even be released in the UK is out of order.

So you can see why I’m puzzled why most of you all hate the X-Box. I, like many of you are not to keen on Microsoft, but I’m willing to it give a go and see if I like it after actually playing the X-Box! I don’t think it will do well, but I predict that, not think it. There’s a big difference if you think about it.

So if you can give me any fair and sensible reasons for why you hate the X-Box with vengeance. I’d be happy to take your theory into account. Or even say why you like it…

But with games in the making like Jet Set Radio Future, Halo and Dead or Alive 3, it’s going to be an X-perience at that.

Thanks you for your time.
Wed 21/11/01 at 16:04
It had a good chance. But the judges chose another. Obviously. Like most living beings in the world, try try again. And get get Chu Chu Rocket.
Wed 21/11/01 at 15:58
Regular
"Hoo Har"
I really thought I had a chance of winnig a GAD with this topic...
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:09
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Yes...

the Sony ads ARE made by Sega...

Anyway... moving on...

(incase you can't tell I'm being sarcastic)

(or maybe I was just being sarcastic about being sarcastic...)

(I'll shut up now...)

:-)
Tue 20/11/01 at 20:35
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Sibs wrote:
Oh sorry forgot that one.
> But that ad is by the makers of GT3 not Sony isn't it? The Sony ads are the
> rubbish 3rd place ones (well I think they SUCK big time
> anyway!)____________________________________________________________

They are made by Sega arn't they. Because Red Faction and anothre game up for choice.
Tue 20/11/01 at 20:14
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
JaCeeUK wrote:
> Sibs wrote:
Dunno about
> Xbox on TV but I have seen no shots in posters
> etc. and PS2 has no shots in any
> ads.
I'll have to correct you their
> Sibs. What about that brilliant GT3 ad for the PS2, where it tells you to press
> the screen to see what game you'd like it. (I pressed the screen, i really did
> :)

Oh sorry forgot that one. But that ad is by the makers of GT3 not Sony isn't it? The Sony ads are the rubbish 3rd place ones (well I think they SUCK big time anyway!)____________________________________________________________

Sibs Wrote
I
> DID SAY that the main reason I don't want one is
> because there are no
> games I have seen on it that I feel are MUST HAVE titles
> for ME! I'm not
> saying it's bad, just not my thing.
You really need to look into the X-Box
> a bit more, even if you’re not a fan. I've looked into and even though I’m not
> getting one I've seen a great amount of good games.
Halo, Jet Set Radio Future,
> DOA3 the list goes on. And all them 3 games will unfortunately be going out ONLY
> on the X-Box :(

Those are not games I am drawn to except Halo, but Halo will come to PC won't it? Even if it's not slated to, if Xbox fails, they'll have to make up the loss somehow. A PC release of Halo could be what they need, IF it does fail (notice the capital IF)
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:31
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Sibs wrote:
Dunno about
> Xbox on TV but I have seen no shots in posters etc. and PS2 has no shots in any
> ads.
I'll have to correct you their Sibs. What about that brilliant GT3 ad for the PS2, where it tells you to press the screen to see what game you'd like it. (I pressed the screen, i really did :)____________________________________________________________

Sibs Wrote
I DID SAY that the main reason I don't want one is
> because there are no games I have seen on it that I feel are MUST HAVE titles
> for ME! I'm not saying it's bad, just not my thing.
You really need to look into the X-Box a bit more, even if you’re not a fan. I've looked into and even though I’m not getting one I've seen a great amount of good games.
Halo, Jet Set Radio Future, DOA3 the list goes on. And all them 3 games will unfortunately be going out ONLY on the X-Box :(
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:21
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Sibs wrote:

hurts the
> hands a lot after short
> playing time (first major reason not to like).

See... now I've heard
> completly the opposite... I understand its tougher for 'smaller' hands... but
> since a lot of the titles are aimed at a more adult 20-something market, it
> shouldnt be such a problem?

> Microsoft are also just trying to say it is
> the most powerful thing out and

Isnt that EXCATLY how Nintendo tried to sell
> the N64? ... The fastest most powerful console in the world?

:)

I knew someone would bring up that Nintendo 64 ad thing. DOH! But still, at least in Nintys ads (including the N64 ones) they always showed screenshots and movies (on TV) of the actual games. Dunno about Xbox on TV but I have seen no shots in posters etc. and PS2 has no shots in any ads.

Also the controller... I d never said I had played it, just that I don't like the way it looks. I also NEVER SAID that it made the Xbox bad, but said it was ANOTHER little thing that I didn't particularly like. Also, maybe you have heard that the controller is good feeling, but I have heard the complete opposite from people who have tried it. But if you haven't tried it either, how can any of us be sure? We'll ALL just need to try it first, but what can I say, maybe it is comfy for some and not for others. The innovation thing, I mean the Xbox controller does look like a mixture of all things on the market already. 4 main circular buttons, like PS, the general shape kinda resembles the DC, as does the directional controls layout. I dunno about any shoulder or trigger buttons on it.

The GC controller does look a little like PS2, but it isn't much like it, when you think how the controller is used. The Stick is main usage for movement, while it's still D-pad for PS2 (most games isn't it?). The position of the C-stick may look suspect, but it is going to be mainly used for cameras and stuff like strafing/aiming in shooters (eg. Perfect Dark 2). The four buttons are like PS2, except they are intuitively placed. The BIG main A button, the smaller B button, and the raised X and Y buttons in a kidney shape round the A button. The L and R on GC are also more advanced than PS2s with analogue pressure pads (not just 'soft push' and 'harder push' as I think the PS2 is?) and then also the 'Digital click' for when it is really pushed. I must say though, I think the trigger should still be on the underside of the pad (not sure which side though...)

I DID SAY that the main reason I don't want one is because there are no games I have seen on it that I feel are MUST HAVE titles for ME! I'm not saying it's bad, just not my thing.

PS sorry if this thing has already posted an incomplete version, I accidentally pressed tab while typing it and it may have posted it. Anyways, sorry for my clumsy typing if that does happen...

:-)
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:16
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
> Sibs wrote:

hurts the
> hands a lot after short
> playing time (first major reason not to like).

See... now I've heard
> completly the opposite... I understand its tougher for 'smaller' hands... but
> since a lot of the titles are aimed at a more adult 20-something market, it
> shouldnt be such a problem?

> Microsoft are also just trying to say it is
> the most powerful thing out and

Isnt that EXCATLY how Nintendo tried to sell
> the N64? ... The fastest most powerful console in the world?

:)

I knew someone would bring up that Nintendo 64 ad thing. DOH! But still, at least in Nintys ads (including the N64 ones) they always showed screenshots and movies (on TV) of the actual games. Dunno about Xbox on TV but I have seen no shots in posters etc. and PS2 has no shots in any ads.

Also the controller... I d never said I had played it, just that I don't like the way it looks. I also NEVER SAID that it made the Xbox bad, but said it was ANOTHER little thing that I didn't particularly like. Also, maybe you have heard that the controller is good feeling, but I have heard the complete opposite from people who have tried it. But if you haven't tried it either, how can any of us be sure? We'll ALL just need to try it first, but what can I say, maybe it is comfy for some and not for others. The innovation thing, I mean the Xbox controller does look like a mixture of all things on the market already. 4 main circular buttons, like PS, the general shape kinda resembles the DC, as does the directional controls layout. I dunno about any shoulder or trigger buttons on it. The GC controller does look a little like PS2, but it isn't much like it, when you think how the controller is used. The Stick is main usage for movement, while it's still D-pad for PS2 (most games isn't it?).

I DID SAY that the main reason I don't want one is because there are no games I have seen on it that I feel are MUST HAVE titles for ME! I'm not saying it's bad, just not my thing.
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:15
Regular
"Hoo Har"
Its true, Shenmue II is coming out on the X-Box. But only in the USA, so you'll have to import it if you want it to reach are shores.
Tue 20/11/01 at 19:09
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
beanz wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> Although SEGA have comitted to Gamecube more than the other
> with Shenmue 2 GC
> bound apparently, Sonic, PSOv2, Virtual Striker, Super
> munkey ball, outrun is
> rumoured and ssssooooooooooooo many many many
> more.

shenmue 2 is x box bound.... (exclusively most prob)
pso ver 2 is also
> going to x box
outrun 2 is going to x box ( exclusively i think)

Shenmue 2 I will be playing on my DC, couldn't be bothered to wait for the X-Box version.
As for GC, it will have those titles mentioned above, plus Eternal Arcadia, Crazy Taxi 1+2, 18 Wheeler, Possible Shenmue 2+3 and of course NiGHTS which is developed by Sonic Team; and what is Sonic Team's system of choice? Gamecube of course.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.