GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband is coming my way....few questions about this and XBL"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/04/03 at 11:12
Regular
Broadband is landing in my area mid june, just had the nod off the BT gent this morning, but now a few questions......
Whats the best/cheapest ISP to use?
Is BT openworld worth getting @ £27.99/mth (£50 connection pack)
NTL offer an xbox service @ £29.99/mth...any views?
should I get the kit myself and what kit is required? (dont mind having the PC on while using XBL)
I havent got much idea about routers/hubs etc :(

Any help much appreciated in advance
Wed 23/04/03 at 23:02
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Adrain I have BT Broadband but I was wondering how to tweak my
> connection. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Ok first go to this page http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and do the test. Input the details when the test is finished. The box that is for connection should be set to PPPoA as thats what we use for ADSL.

You should get a page come up with lots of values. The most important values are the RWIN(Recieve Window) and MTU(Maximum Transimission Unit). To work correctly in the BT ATM network the MTU should be set to 1458 or lower. If its higher then you really need to change it other wise you could be slowing alot of people down at your exchange and you get slower speeds yourself.

Also the RWIN is pretty important. Too low and data stops sending if the reply doesnt get through. RWIN is goes with the MTU so it has to be a certain factor. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/tweaks has some info on it.

Two common set ups are MTU 1430 with RWIN 13900 and MTU 1458 and RWIN 12762.

DrTCP is the program you need to change the settings. I can't find the link to it on the page, maybe its hidden in the tweaks FAQ. If you can't get it and you do need to change the values just leave your email in this thread and I can email it to you in a zip file, as if your running a anti-virus software it may block the exe file.

DrTCP is really easy to use and if the tweaks prove to be worst you can easily change them back again if you keep a note of your old settings.

Hope this helps.
Wed 23/04/03 at 22:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
scrapdealer wrote:
> had a look at pipex and blueyonder/telewest, liked the look of the 1mb
> and just for a tenner a month more :)

Yes but thats cable, can you get cable? If you get cable TV in your area or have it then yes go for cable 1mb. I am only on ADSL as we don't have cable in our area, yet we have had ADSL for over 10 months now.
Wed 23/04/03 at 18:27
Regular
had a look at pipex and blueyonder/telewest, liked the look of the 1mb and just for a tenner a month more :)
so let me try and recap a little:
I reckon to get BT with their £50 connection pack to supply it all incl modem, right? then get a dsl router (abouts £50) and two lenghts of cat5 ethernet cables, 1 xbox to router, 1 PC to router, right?
will I be able to use both at the same time then?
Should I go for 1mb connection instead? (does this suit XBL?)
sry for all the q's but being as you gotta sign up for 12mths...I dont need to be making any mistakes (learn from others as my mum once said ;o)
Wed 23/04/03 at 15:21
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Robbo thats not what I was really loking for. I was wondering how I
> can tweak my internet connection for general broadband use and not
> just for gaming. Any ideas?

so with BT u have 512K ADSL are u looking to upgrade to 1MB or maybe 2MB, think cable may do these speeds, but sure xbox live works fine with 256k.
Wed 23/04/03 at 15:10
Regular
Robbo thats not what I was really loking for. I was wondering how I can tweak my internet connection for general broadband use and not just for gaming. Any ideas?
Wed 23/04/03 at 15:07
Regular
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Adrain I have BT Broadband but I was wondering how to tweak my
> connection. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

ur ADSL modem has it a ethernet port?, or is it just USB into ur PC,

if u have the ethernet port get a cross over cable and plug from xbox into the ethernet port and run xbox live.

if USB you will have to setup ICS on ur PC and will require a network card(about a tenner, some PCs already have one)
Wed 23/04/03 at 15:03
Regular
adrian wrote:
> robbo1974 wrote:
> >>You wont be able to use a HUB to connect to the internet. If
> you dont >>want your PC on at the same time as the XBox then
> you
> do need a Router.
>
> i am using ICS with my PC, but have a 4 port hub, and using
> none-crossover cables have connected that way sharing the USB modem
> with Xbox, however hubs are around £100, but would allow other
> PCs or maybe Gamecube to share Broadband connection too.
>
> Damn you've been ripped off. You can get a 8 port HUB from SR for
> £50.

well it didnt actualy cost me anything already had it (didnt pay for it either), just used as example
Wed 23/04/03 at 14:55
Regular
Adrain I have BT Broadband but I was wondering how to tweak my connection. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Wed 23/04/03 at 13:18
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
robbo1974 wrote:
> >>You wont be able to use a HUB to connect to the internet. If
> you dont >>want your PC on at the same time as the XBox then you
> do need a Router.
>
> i am using ICS with my PC, but have a 4 port hub, and using
> none-crossover cables have connected that way sharing the USB modem
> with Xbox, however hubs are around £100, but would allow other
> PCs or maybe Gamecube to share Broadband connection too.

Damn you've been ripped off. You can get a 8 port HUB from SR for £50.
Wed 23/04/03 at 13:15
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
SweeneyUK wrote:
> Try connecting with Freedom 2 Surf...their only £22.50 per month
> and free connection at the moment..I was with pripex but F2S is a lot
> quicker and more reliable...

A doubt its alot quicker. I am with Pipex and get 60k/s +. Have you ever tweaked your connection with MTU and RWIN values as this makes a difference to the speed you get. For me Pipex have been very reliable in the 10 months i've had ADSL throught them. If you look at the speed tests done on www.adslguide.org you will see that the average connection of Freedom 2 Surf is lower than with Pipex. Pipex has a downstream of 432.7 and Freedom 2 surf has 430.6. And considering Pipex had 4783 people take the test and only 493 taking it with F2S. Go to http://www.adslguide.org.uk (SPACE) /tools/speedtest.asp and see what you get. I can get 475K of useful data which is 513K total downstream. My max has been 480K of useful data which means that my connection is pretty much as fast as any 512K ADSL connection can get.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.