GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Broadband is coming my way....few questions about this and XBL"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 22/04/03 at 11:12
Regular
Broadband is landing in my area mid june, just had the nod off the BT gent this morning, but now a few questions......
Whats the best/cheapest ISP to use?
Is BT openworld worth getting @ £27.99/mth (£50 connection pack)
NTL offer an xbox service @ £29.99/mth...any views?
should I get the kit myself and what kit is required? (dont mind having the PC on while using XBL)
I havent got much idea about routers/hubs etc :(

Any help much appreciated in advance
Fri 25/04/03 at 15:31
Regular
Thx for your contributions and help adrian....I'll look out for you when on XBL :o)
Fri 25/04/03 at 14:41
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
scrapdealer wrote:
> We have two sockets, but 1 is a designated internet line(seperate
> number so allows internet and phone to be used at same time...noone is
> likely to ever phone in on this number) BUT, this internet line will
> cease to exist when BB arrives, we'll stop the line with BT. That will
> leave us with just the 1 main socket, the PC is about 2mts away,
> sky/phone/Xbox 2mts in opposite direction. We have a phone upstairs
> but it is run off an extension lead from the main box.
> how big is this filter gizmo? my understanding was that it is
> relatively small and proves no problem??
> I am under the impression that BT activate the line for ADSL, and
> provide a socket for 1 telephone and your DSL modem. If this is the
> case then a filter would go on the phone socket and the existing
> 'splitter' plug into the back of this, and then the DSL modem plug
> into a seperate socket providing BB for the PC and ultimately Xbox
> 9(thru the PC & network card)
> Or, am I completely lost dancing around like that blind rabbit again??

You should be ok. Plug the filter into the main socket and then you should have enough cable to hook the modem up via the filter, and then plug the phone sockets into the filter. Filters are small and attach to the main socket. You have to make sure that the filter is the first think that goes into the socket. A filter has only 2 sockets to attach a phone cable and a modem cable. You will need all phones to be attached to one connection so you can plug it in to the filter.

BT do not provide anything. All they do is enable your line at the exchange, they dont come to your house at all as thats what you get with packages now. I think at the beginning BT did come out to install a Splitter but these are replaced by Filters which you install yourself.

With this set up you should be ok as long as all connections are coming from the filter. If just one phone is not filtered you will be disconnected from the internet if you use the phone.
Fri 25/04/03 at 12:01
Regular
We have two sockets, but 1 is a designated internet line(seperate number so allows internet and phone to be used at same time...noone is likely to ever phone in on this number) BUT, this internet line will cease to exist when BB arrives, we'll stop the line with BT. That will leave us with just the 1 main socket, the PC is about 2mts away, sky/phone/Xbox 2mts in opposite direction. We have a phone upstairs but it is run off an extension lead from the main box.
how big is this filter gizmo? my understanding was that it is relatively small and proves no problem??
I am under the impression that BT activate the line for ADSL, and provide a socket for 1 telephone and your DSL modem. If this is the case then a filter would go on the phone socket and the existing 'splitter' plug into the back of this, and then the DSL modem plug into a seperate socket providing BB for the PC and ultimately Xbox 9(thru the PC & network card)
Or, am I completely lost dancing around like that blind rabbit again??
Fri 25/04/03 at 10:49
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
scrapdealer wrote:
> I live within 1.5miles of my exchange :) and on a relatively new
> estate....so I should be ok, but I will try that number. All of our
> extensions/sky/etc come from one socket(we have a 'push in' splitter
> that plugs into the std wall box, and I'm hoping that this will fit
> into the filter, so its only the filter required I hope.
> Would/is it easy enough to run extensions out of the ADSL wall box at
> a later date(I realise that a filter will then be required for any new
> boxes)?
> I have just email pipex about them dropping their instal charges
> inline with BT's....fingers x'ed
> Thx for the help

So are you saying you only have ONE phone socket in your house? If so this is bad news. The filter would have to fit down on the wall socket and all the phone connections go out through the filter. Then you would need to either have your computer right near the wall socket or buy a longer modem cable to stretch up the top.

My Friend has this sort of set up but he cant get the filter to be plug directly into the phone socket, so its connected at the end of an extention so he can actually plug in his ADSL modem. Everytime the phone rings and he answers it the internet disconnects. His does it because he hasnt got the filter on the phone socket downstairs, but if he had it there he could plug in his modem as its too far on the lead you get with the modem. He did have 2 filters on the line, one at the phone socket and one on the extention near his PC. But this caused the ADSL not too work at all.

My advice to you is where ever your PC is get a seperate socket installed. There easy to install and this will save you lots of grief in the long run. As you could easily stick a filter on the main phone socket and then one in the new phone socket so that you can connect your ADSL up to your computer.
Fri 25/04/03 at 09:34
Regular
I live within 1.5miles of my exchange :) and on a relatively new estate....so I should be ok, but I will try that number. All of our extensions/sky/etc come from one socket(we have a 'push in' splitter that plugs into the std wall box, and I'm hoping that this will fit into the filter, so its only the filter required I hope.
Would/is it easy enough to run extensions out of the ADSL wall box at a later date(I realise that a filter will then be required for any new boxes)?
I have just email pipex about them dropping their instal charges inline with BT's....fingers x'ed
Thx for the help
Thu 24/04/03 at 22:34
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
scrapdealer wrote:
> adrian wrote:
> Hope this explains a few questions your having. Tell use whether you
> can get cable or not.
>
> Tried NTL today, saw their deal for broadband+console 1MB £39.99
> with FREE installation......Its a crying shame that I dont live in a
> cabled area yet :( but when I do, 1mb here we come :)
> So, its looks like a toss up between BT & Pipex Extreme........set
> up is slightly more £££££ with pipex but
> their monthly rate is lower.
> 1 last question adrian, would I pay any extra to BT for having my
> phone on ADSL if I decide to go with pipex????
> Thx for all your help :o)

Cable seems to have gone on a big hold. I think our town was suppose to get it 2 or 3 years ago. Any way dont worry as 1mb and 2mb ADSL are on the way for home users. Will be around £40-45 at most ISPs for 1mb and then £60-65 for 2mb. Also 1mb and 2mb ADSL need better phone quality and shorter line length, even though I have 512K I might not be able to get 1mb or 2mb, I hope I can.

Any way to the questions. No you don't have to pay any extra over your normal rental, that stays the same.

Another thing is count how many active phone sockets you have. So all phones that are in use, Sky Digital, Alarm System. Also if you do have an Alarm System check it is compatable with ADSL as some arent and once connected they will not work with ADSL. Some times isnt a problem as if your at home using the internet you dont need your alarm armed. Would be a problem if you left it on downloading.

Also you may want to check whether you can actually get ADSL once its out in your area. You probably will but if your phone line is of poor quality or the overall length of your line is longer than 5.5Km you will not be able to get it. To check the length of your line dial 17070, select option 3,1 and 2. If this passes you probably will be able to get it as the other tests will only fail if your line is of poor quality.
Thu 24/04/03 at 16:57
Regular
adrian wrote:
> Hope this explains a few questions your having. Tell use whether you
> can get cable or not.

Tried NTL today, saw their deal for broadband+console 1MB £39.99 with FREE installation......Its a crying shame that I dont live in a cabled area yet :( but when I do, 1mb here we come :)
So, its looks like a toss up between BT & Pipex Extreme........set up is slightly more £££££ with pipex but their monthly rate is lower.
1 last question adrian, would I pay any extra to BT for having my phone on ADSL if I decide to go with pipex????
Thx for all your help :o)
Thu 24/04/03 at 10:08
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
ÂLŠ†ÂÎR wrote:
> Cheers Adrian that is gratefully appreciated. I have searched for
> DRTCP but its not on there FAQ's etc. My MTU was 1500 for both the MTU
> connections. My email is:
>
> [email protected]
>
> Feel free to add me to MSN! I ran the tests and my download speed was
> 57.8 KB/s which I believe can be improved to over 60 KB/s?!

Just going to send it now.

Yeah it can be improved. Mine is normally around 59k/s on the speed test, but give me a good FTP and I can do around 61k/s. Speed test is pretty good but as you can see its not always as fast as you can do. Even though its a 512K connection which should equal 64k/s you have overheads so the fastest 512K connections can probably just about manage 61K/s like mine.
Wed 23/04/03 at 23:22
Regular
Cheers Adrian that is gratefully appreciated. I have searched for DRTCP but its not on there FAQ's etc. My MTU was 1500 for both the MTU connections. My email is:

[email protected]

Feel free to add me to MSN! I ran the tests and my download speed was 57.8 KB/s which I believe can be improved to over 60 KB/s?!
Wed 23/04/03 at 23:10
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
scrapdealer wrote:
> had a look at pipex and blueyonder/telewest, liked the look of the 1mb
> and just for a tenner a month more :)
> so let me try and recap a little:
> I reckon to get BT with their £50 connection pack to supply it
> all incl modem, right? then get a dsl router (abouts £50) and
> two lenghts of cat5 ethernet cables, 1 xbox to router, 1 PC to router,
> right?
> will I be able to use both at the same time then?
> Should I go for 1mb connection instead? (does this suit XBL?)
> sry for all the q's but being as you gotta sign up for 12mths...I dont
> need to be making any mistakes (learn from others as my mum once said
> ;o)

Mentioned about cable in a few posts down. But i'll mention it again. 1mb is only on cable at the moment so NTL, Blueyonder and Telewest will not be able to give you broadband unless you live in a Cabled area. Check on there sites to actually see if your in a Cabled area as if you are you can get Broadband right now. I dont know whether you would as you dont have ADSL yet, our town has had ADSL for nearly a year and we do not have cable, as if we did I would be on 1mb.

No you wont need a Router as if you get a modem a Router is not needed. A Router is only used if you want the PC turned OFF when you play XBox Live. Routers are more than £50 they are £100 for a half decent one. £50 is for a HUB which you will not need as you have only your PC and your XBox. A HUB is used for connecting a few computers to a network. And as your only using 2 devices you only need a direct connection.

So all you need is your modem from your ADSL package and then a network card in your PC. And then you will need a crossover CAT5 cable. If you have an offical link cable then this will do.

Hope this explains a few questions your having. Tell use whether you can get cable or not.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.