GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Proud of your country?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 14/05/07 at 14:20
"possibly impossible"
Do you feel a certain patriotism to your country? It does seem quite common for us in the UK to avoid such signs of what some might perceive as blind faith in any country and is probably one of the factors that leads to a more fractured society.

And yet, despite this many British people tend to avoid the labels of being part of any other culture (Europe, Western etc) and revel in the grabbing of the best of other cultures while maintaining a unique British feel. This is more evident in England, especially as other parts of the UK seek to distance themselves from the country.

Perhaps it’s all part of island mentality. We’re a smallish lump of rock in a large ocean, after all, set apart from our nearest continent of Europe.

Personally I think it’s refreshing that England has managed to maintain a certain Englishness while not being afraid to take bits and pieces of other cultures, but it doesn’t want to make me stand up and sing the national anthem either. I feel proud that, as a country, we can often take the mickey out of ourselves and laugh at our misgivings, while at the same time feeling happy to be living in this country and not have to resort to flag waving to prove it.

How do you feel about your country? Does it instill a sense of pride, shame or indifference in you? Does Patriotism take things too far?
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:02
Regular
=( Ben you're a self hating Brit. You're far more British than you are American and yet you'd rather be one of them =,( I guess this goes to show how bad our country has gotten.

Ah but then Ben hates tons of things about America aswell so I guess it all balances out perfectly =)
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:03
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Machie wrote:
> You're far more British than you are American

Of all the hurtful horrible things you've said to me, that is by far the worst :-( *runs off crying*
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:06
Regular
aww I'm just kidding, you're American as apple pie Ben. Actually that's not true, apple pies pre-date America =/ umm you're American as George Bush. Ah perfect!
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:07
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Actually now that's the most hurtful thing you've ever said to me.
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:08
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Machie wrote:
> aww I'm just kidding, you're American as apple pie Ben. Actually
> that's not true, apple pies pre-date America =/ umm you're
> American as George Bush. Ah perfect!

Arent the Bush's (as well as a large portion of America) Irish descendents?
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'd like to feel proud of my country, England, Britain, but I can't say that I am. Not sure why.
I think the cause of my non-patriot feeling is caused by a mixture of many things, both trivial and serious. Ask me to put my finger on the reasons and, strangely, I struggle. It's just an overall feeling of disenchantment. All I can say is that something feels intrinsically superficial about the society in general. Status is deemed too important. The politics is a spider's web of spinning. It feels like its overcrowded. I don't know..
"LOLLERSKATES!"
I think i'm very patriotic and am very proud of were i'm from and how advanced we are at everything. I also kniow a lot about my countries history, follow all the sports teams and eat most of the food we make!
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:10
Regular
Nin wrote:
> Arent the Bush's (as well as a large portion of America) Irish
> descendents?

That actually explains a lot.

St Georges Day passed with little celebration. It seems we're more up for St Patricks Day. Why's that do you think? =)
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:11
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
oh i dunno, a whole day of crazy drinking, can't see why that'd appeal to the English at all :-D
Mon 14/05/07 at 15:12
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Black Glove wrote:
> It's just an overall feeling of disenchantment.

That pretty much sums up my feelings. Up until i was about 17 i never had any plans on leaving this country, i never saw the point as i was quite happy here. Now the idea of living here for the rest of my life fills me with dread. I know the saying is "Home is where the heart is" my hearts not here, i'm quite sure of that.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.