GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bosses, you either hate them, or they're easy"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 17/11/01 at 13:03
Regular
I’ve spent the morning playing and swearing at my N64, is he going mad? I hear you say, well yes and no, I’ve been fighting the most annoying boss you could ever imagine, the game is Turok 3 the boss is a fat muther of a bug. The amount of times I’ve tried to beat this bsterd is getting stupid now, I really don’t know how the heck I’m going to ever do it, as soon as you get his energy bar right down to the bottom, for some unknown reason he regenerates it all. Then it dawned on me, why do games developers bother with bosses? I’m sorry but only on the rare occasion have I actually enjoyed fighting them, otherwise they’re just a pain in the backside, they always seem to get in the way of the fun game play. You fight your way through a massive level and by the time you get to the end you’re pretty much out of health and ammunition, then you’re forced to fight some 5 storey hard as nails chimp, with enough firepower to start a world war (or in Nintendo’s case a big fluffy Bunny that tries to jump on you) which tends to kill you straight away sending you back to the beginning of the level. There’s no skill involved in fighting most of these 10-ton freaks, it’s usually a case of dodging fire while shooting like a mad man and probably dieing in about 30 seconds. I really really hate them, you get the occasional game that has enjoyable bosses, e.g. Zelda but the only reason they’re enjoyable is because there not too hard to kill, couple of goes and they tend to be dead.

I doubt I’m alone when I say I hate bosses with a passion, I can understand having an end of game boss, but some of these things are just far too damn hard too beat. It seems to me that the only company’s (from a Ninty view don’t know about Sony) that realise that people just don’t enjoy these fights which you have to keep playing over and over again, are Nintendo and Rare. Games like Banjo Tooie and Zelda have good boss fights, they’re not too hard, they’re not too easy, they’re challenging enough, but they’re not so hard that they get annoying. But when you get these bosses that take far too long too kill it really is just annoying, a good example of a very crap and annoying boss is in the original Turok, the level three boss is one of the hardest enemies I’ve ever had to confront. First of all you have to fight a jeep when that eventually blows you think you’ve done it, but no another Jeep starts too attack you, by the time that’s blown up you’ve pretty much used up all your good ammunition, then to your amazement some guy appears from the jeep, with enough energy to ummmm make a Lucozade Drink, what follows is one of the most boring, annoying, repetitive boss fights in gaming history. As you’re low on ammo it’s a case of strafing his fire while moving backwards and trying to shoot the somersaulting gimp with a gun that would be better suited to a Fairground. It’s not clever and it certainly isn’t fun, okay you get a massive feeling of triumph when you eventually kill them, but half the time it annoys me so much that I find myself almost forced to use cheat codes.

From the dawn of gaming time (well at least as far back as I can remember) bosses have always been the most annoying part of games. Games such as Xenon 2 on the Atari ST where good fun, up until the point where you have to confront a massive screen filling alien, what really used to extract the urine on these games was that you had to start the whole game again when you died, at least we don’t have that problem anymore, usually on games like this you would get to the boss with maybe 1 or 2 lives, the first life you would waste straight away cause you're so shocked about the size of the thing and have no idea what to do, the second would be wasted frantically dodging the fire while attempting to work what part of this big alien monkey your supposed to shoot, this would usually follow with a dirty great GAME OVER message,at this point I tended to punch the TV Screen, which kind of hurt. Can anyone honestly say they used to enjoy the bosses on the old skool Shoot em ups? Only a select bunch I bet. Even on cutesy games like Rainbow Islands bosses have always been a pain in the posterior.

I can name most the games with good “fun” bosses in a few minutes, the majority of end of level bosses are just there to be annoying, there should be a warning before half of these gimps saying “warning this enemy will make you swear A LOT”. What really tends to rub it in is on games such as Banjo Kazooie (one Rare boss that I hate) the final boss battle, must take about 50 goes to complete, every time you die you get sent back to the beginning and you have to keep playing the same bits over and over and over again until you’re blue in the face.

What I’m trying to say is game developers if you have to have bosses in your games, don’t make them so damn hard, no one likes fighting the same boss over and over again, take a leaf out of Rare or Nintendo’s book, make them challenging but not the kind of thing that’s going to take hours to beat.

Anyway enough of my moaning i'm off to swear at Turok 3 a bit more.

Tiltawhirl :hating bosses with a passion
Mon 26/11/01 at 18:42
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
lol @ Lakitu !!!

Tiltawhirl, did you report him? He was giving you lots of abuse!
Sun 25/11/01 at 22:33
Regular
Idiot.....
Sun 25/11/01 at 21:34
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Lakitu wrote:
> You Idiot Titawhirl!!!! Get The Hell Off This Site...

Why is he an idiot?

You are an idiot for calling him an idiot for no good reason!
Sun 25/11/01 at 19:33
Regular
Lakitu wrote:
> You Idiot Titawhirl!!!! Get The Hell Off This Site...

Oh god it's you, does your crap ever stop?

Grow up or far cough.
Sun 25/11/01 at 18:20
Regular
"I'm On Cloud 9!"
You Idiot Titawhirl!!!! Get The Hell Off This Site...
Fri 23/11/01 at 13:48
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Sibs wrote:
> what game you gonna get?

I hope you get annoyed with the bosses in it :-)

May I suggest a few games?

1) Wolf Child
2) Harvest Moon

and some others.
Fri 23/11/01 at 13:46
Regular
"*Plonk*"
Rainbow Islands Rules. Even if it did have hard bosses.
Final Fantasy bosses rule. THey can be really stupid from time to time, though. The gameplay made it wikkid. Then again, on PSO for DC, those bosses can get quite hard until you master their movements, then its really easy. Chuff.
Wed 21/11/01 at 01:28
Now Tiltawhirl will experience fogger's haven.
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:40
Regular
yay you won GAD
sibs, he claimed tony hawk 2 or is going to claim it
Mon 19/11/01 at 20:06
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
what game you gonna get?

I hope you get annoyed with the bosses in it :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.