GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"SEGA says Nintendo smells... or do they?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 28/04/03 at 18:58
Regular
Oh dear oh dear what a problem Nintendo's line up seems to have:

Gamecube:

Sonic Heroes (brand new Sonic game)
Sonic Adventure DX (Exclusive)
PSO 3 (exclusive)
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg (Exclusive)

Note: All games being made by Sonic Team

PS2:

Sonic Heroes
Vectorman(exclusive)
Headhunter: Redemption (exclusive)
Altered Beast (Exclusive)
Virtual Fighter 4 Evolution Greatest Hits
Virtual On Marz (exclusive)
Dororo (exclusive)
Kunoichi (exclusive)
NCAA College Basketball 2K4
NHL 2K4
NBA 2K4
NFL 2K4

X-box:

Sonic Heroes
NCAA College Basketball 2K4
NHL 2K4
NBA 2K4
NFL 2K4
SEGA GT online (Exclusive)
Otogi Myth of Deamons (Exclusive)

GBA:

Sonic Pinball Party (exclusive)
Sonic Battle (exclusive)

From the above line-up everything looks heavily depressing for Nintendo. Only 4 games and PSO 3 and Billy Hatcher is the only game that is new and not multi-format. And Sonic has seemingly left Nintendo!

But is this really the whole picture? What has happened to the Virtual Fighter RPG game? Where's Starfox Armada? What about Super Monkey Ball 3... and not even a whisper as to what the Jet Set Radio developers are up to on the Cube...

Will there be surprises?
Wed 30/04/03 at 20:09
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> I think PDO (from what I have played round my mates - Im currently
> saving up for it) is great. PSO has voice, and to say Shemnue is
> boring is just stupid. Its an aquired taste - Some people belive it or
> not do not like MP or Zelda.

I'll grant you Panzer Dragoon Orta - but still, that's one and a possible second that are worth buying. The GameCube has Super Monkey Ball 2 and Skies Of Arcadia Legends. Shenmue IS boring, and not an acquired taste. Some people may not like Metroid Prime or Zelda - but the percentage is a hell of a lot lower than those that dislike Shenmue.

> And Crazy Taxi 3 is not bad - Sure its very simular to 1 and 2 but at
> least it combines the 2 and add a new level - The GC only has 1 and
> 2...

So? I wouldn't buy either of them and if the third came out I'd just ignore it - it's a rubbish series, only properly playable in arcades.

> I think that mayby things are improving between SEGA and Nintendo -
> bUt after so many years of fighting, im sure some of the SEGA
> developers just do what they are told, but if they had the choice,
> would have made the Dreamcast be a sucess other than working on a
> former enamies console.

Trust me - the relationship between Sega and Nintendo is better than that of them with Sony or Microsoft. They've got ties and connections all over the place, and though the list of games may be short - I have a feeling it will soon change.

At the end of the day, though, Sega just don't make games as well as they used to. It's a sad fact.
Tue 29/04/03 at 12:53
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> I love my cube - Dont you for one second think i don't.
>
> But lets forget the Nintendo fandboy in all of us for just 5 seconds
> now can we?
>
> SEGA are a 3rd party developer now - And like most 3rd party
> developers they need money (Perhaps more than others after their
> recent failures in hardware) - And where is the money? The PS2 for its
> large fanbase so they get Headhunter 2, Virtua Figher 4 and so on, and
> Bill Gates pockets for classics like House of the Dead 3, Shemnue2X,
> PS02 Live, Crazy Taxi 3, Jet Set Radio Future and a whole host of
> others...

To be perfectly honest, the only good game out of them is JSR:F. Also, didn't Sega make Panzer Dragoon Orta, or was that someone else?

Plus, Monkey Ball is much better than either of those games and JSR:F is the only reason I may be getting an XBox, along with Halo and rare games. So really, Microsoft aren't really getting that much of a great deal, are they?
Tue 29/04/03 at 12:37
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I'm sure that Virtua Fighter Quest thing is still in development.
After all, they've apparently been working on it as the game it was originally meant to be - Shenmue. And because it'll apparently play a lot like the Shenmue games, with a good mix between fighting and exploration, I'll be looking out for this game - even though we've heard very little about the game.

And why isn't that "SEGA Smash Pack" thing on the list for the GBA?
You know, the game with MegaDrive classics like Golden Axe, and others.

Are these just European games?
That could explain a lot...
Mon 28/04/03 at 22:57
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:
> SEGA are a 3rd party developer now - And like most 3rd party
> developers they need money (Perhaps more than others after their
> recent failures in hardware) - And where is the money? The PS2 for its
> large fanbase so they get Headhunter 2, Virtua Figher 4 and so on, and
> Bill Gates pockets for classics like House of the Dead 3, Shemnue2X,
> PS02 Live, Crazy Taxi 3, Jet Set Radio Future and a whole host of
> others...

I disagree on the Xbox front. Classics? Hardly. House Of The Dead 3 is average, Shenmue 2X is boring, Phantasy Star Online (which is out on GameCube with extras, may I remind you) is similarly a bog standard effort and Crazy Taxi 3 is just.. rubbish. Jet Set Radio Future, I've heard good things about, but am yet to play.

At the end of the day, if any of those games came out on the 'Cube, I doubt they'd receive good sales. Why? I suspect it's because every title you mentioned (bar JSRF) isn't worth the money (Shenmue 2X is debatable among certain people). And 'Cube owners seem to have higher standards than most..

> Now lets be honest again - Apart from Monkey Ball, just how many NEW
> SEGA games does the cube have exlusive...mmmm...not many...Monkey
> Ball? Thats about it (Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 as well as Crazy Taxi 1
> and 2 where on the DC)...

You'd be surprised. The Panzer Dragoon Orta and Jet Set Radio Future developers have been studying the 'Cube hardware for a while now and have said they will be releasing games in the near future. Nintendo have a good relationship with Nintendo, through their Triforce collaboration (Namco being the third party) and are working closely together on F-Zero GC.

With Namco and Sega rumoured to merge - I see this bond becoming stronger, meaning a high probability of Sega exclusives. Nintendo have also joined with Sega to strengthen their online facilities. The Sonic series remains exclusive to GameCube, and Sega stated more original and interesting games will be announced and developed for the 'Cube like SMB when they withdrew sports games.

In my opinion, Super Monkey Ball 2 is the only decent effort from Sega on the 'Cube - which is why it sold well, and others didn't. What Sega should be doing is bringing more of those games to the GameCube - that's what Nintendo fans are after. Then they'll notice the sales.

> They have beeen mortal enamies for years. They released a few games to
> stay alive, but now they are enamies again.

Er.. read above. First and second paragraph.

> Buy an XBOX - it seems to be getting all the best SEGA games if you
> ask me...PS2 close second and GC lagging far, far behind...

Oh I beg to differ..
Mon 28/04/03 at 22:11
Regular
Why don't companies who have no contracts release games for all 3 consoles.
Mon 28/04/03 at 21:29
Regular
PSO 3 will rule, I haven't even completed Episode 1, nevermind two. I want more bosses!
Mon 28/04/03 at 21:23
Regular
TGMbloke wrote:

> SEGA (And for what it apears, most 3rd party developers these days) do
> not like Nintendo - They have beeen mortal enamies for years. They
> released a few games to stay alive, but now they are enamies again.

They're not mortal enemies, not by a long shot, so don't make things up.

Anyway from what I can see, Cube's getting some good games from Sega going by the name of Billy hatcher, PSO Ep3, Sonic heroes, Monkey Ball 3, skies of Arcadia and a few more so there's no need to complain.

Ps2 might be getting the most, but the line-up in my opinion is not 'that' impressive.

Anyway we get the pick of all the new Sega games being developed which goes by the name of F-Zero.
Mon 28/04/03 at 20:38
Regular
"CHEESE RACING!!!!!"
do none of you know how GOOD vectorman is??!?!?!?!?!?!?
Mon 28/04/03 at 20:37
Regular
argh

Don't get me started on Shenmue, for me it is the worst game ever.

But I don't want to go into it, and before you say I prejudged it, I do own it and have completed it.
Mon 28/04/03 at 20:35
Regular
"Look!!! Changed!!!1"
*shocked*

I love Shenmue - still not played the sequel, waiting for it to get here in the post after falling in love with the original again last week when I brought the Dreamcast out of storage. Fingers crossed for some positive Shenmue 3 news at E3/ever - the last "it all depends on the sales of Shenmue 2" comment doesn't give me much hope really.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.