GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox problems"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 16/11/01 at 00:28
Regular
After reading many reports from America about the Xbox I can say that I will not be getting one. Apparently a lot of people are having problems with games, the seam to be crashing on them. Its not just one game its all of them, people are having big problems. The thing has only been out a day and people are already talking about what I feared would happen......PATCHES!!

This is not good, people like consoles because you get a game put it in and it works. The people will not like getting a game, installing it, having it crash, going to the internet to get an update, installing it and hoping that just when you get to the end of a level in will not crash again.

I only hope Microsoft get this sorted fast before the Xbox disappears in to obscurity.
Fri 23/11/01 at 01:28
Regular
"Evil Ryu"
viperfire1956 wrote:
> After reading many reports from America about the Xbox I can say that I will not
> be getting one. Apparently a lot of people are having problems with games, the
> seam to be crashing on them. Its not just one game its all of them, people are
> having big problems. The thing has only been out a day and people are already
> talking about what I feared would happen......PATCHES!!

This is not good,
> people like consoles because you get a game put it in and it works. The people
> will not like getting a game, installing it, having it crash, going to the
> internet to get an update, installing it and hoping that just when you get to
> the end of a level in will not crash again.

I only hope Microsoft get this
> sorted fast before the Xbox disappears in to obscurity.

The XBOX unfortunately had an error message appear on the screen at the recent E3 show in the US. It looked very similar to a PC problem.
Wed 21/11/01 at 11:57
Regular
"MSR Rules"
Initially the chip was a Geforce 3 chip. I wonder why made it custom made for the X-box, although the chip was announced for the X-box way before it was for the PC.

It's good the way manufacturers use the public for free Beta testing.

Being a die hard PC gamer i am used to it, but my kids aren't along with many of the public.
Tue 20/11/01 at 22:33
"High polygon count"
tcook51839 wrote:
> The CPU is off-the-shelf but Microsoft claim the GPU is custom made for the
> XBox.

Is that what they're saying now? Originally it was claimed to be a GeForce3 chip. Then I believe Apple said that one of their Mac platforms would actually be the first system to be equipped with a GeForce3, earlier this year - before even the PC graphics cards were available. So MS have changed their story? (This isn't a dig at you, this is just the story so far as I recall it.)

> The link you posted here directed me to an article referring directly
> to a demo box found in a shop, it was dated in September.

The link...

http://www.gaming-age.com/ cgi-bin/news/news.pl?y=2001&m=10&nid=22-159.db

...is actually dated 30th October, and I quote...

"The in-store demo units are believed to be actual finalized hardware that consumers will see at launch."

> One good thing about the UK getting the
> hardware late is that it should have been well tested by the time we get
> it

Very true. We can but hope!
Tue 20/11/01 at 08:44
me, i'm just gonna stick to my good old DC, PSone and N64. They don't crash. Oh and once the PS2 comes down to 150 i'll have that too.
Tue 20/11/01 at 08:36
Regular
"MSR Rules"
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> tcook51839 wrote:
> I was in Curry's on Sunday, the PS2 had broken down. Can
> this be classed
> as a crash?

Of course it can. All machines crash
> occasionally. The point is that MS's fanfare and hype has made many claims
> about them not having the same problems that Sony had with their production,
> etc.

Sony's hardware was custom-made, with them building two
> chip-manufacturing plants to produce their hardware. There were going to be
> early production issues.

Microsoft are using essentially off-the-shelf
> hardware, and they still can't get the bugs out. ;-)

The CPU is off-the-shelf but Microsoft claim the GPU is custom made for the XBox.

The link you posted here directed me to an article referring directly to a demo box found in a shop, it was dated in September. It is only fair to expect a pre-production model to crash once in a while.

It is frustrating though that they inflict these "sick" demo machines on the public, luckily it was the Americans and not us. One good thing about the UK getting the hardware late is that it should have been well tested by the time we get it

The point is that there has been nothing written to point to every machine crashing, which was the original topic of this thread.
It's true that some do crash which, i've pointed out, happens to every console/computer.
Mon 19/11/01 at 13:04
"High polygon count"
tcook51839 wrote:
> I was in Curry's on Sunday, the PS2 had broken down. Can this be classed
> as a crash?

Of course it can. All machines crash occasionally. The point is that MS's fanfare and hype has made many claims about them not having the same problems that Sony had with their production, etc.

Sony's hardware was custom-made, with them building two chip-manufacturing plants to produce their hardware. There were going to be early production issues.

Microsoft are using essentially off-the-shelf hardware, and they still can't get the bugs out. ;-)
Mon 19/11/01 at 12:59
"High polygon count"
tcook51839 wrote:
> I read this article, and yes the Demo boxes are buggy.

These aren't demo boxes - they're final release hardware.
Mon 19/11/01 at 12:41
Regular
"MSR Rules"
GrimMetal wrote:
> I agree with tcook. Demo boxes DO crash. The n64, dreamcast and ps2 boxes all
> crash in the 'puter shops coz they are on all day, they have irritating little
> kids tugging the cables out and so and so forth. Anybody that claims they own
> one and its crashing are just (normally) pro sony idiots!

WOW someone agrees with me. Got to keep this up.

I was in Curry's on Sunday, the PS2 had broken down. Can this be classed as a crash?

About a year ago not a single DC demo box, in my local town, was working. The shop assistants said the fans had broken and the system had overheated.
Mon 19/11/01 at 09:13
Regular
"accidental superher"
actually you still do have people in the ps2 forum complaining that their ps2 has crashed.....but that is more to do with playing for FAR too long....
Mon 19/11/01 at 08:44
I agree with tcook. Demo boxes DO crash. The n64, dreamcast and ps2 boxes all crash in the 'puter shops coz they are on all day, they have irritating little kids tugging the cables out and so and so forth. Anybody that claims they own one and its crashing are just (normally) pro sony idiots!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.