GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HALO STORY DISCUSSION FORUM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/05/03 at 15:29
Regular
Okay, its a great game, we all know that, with a superb storyline, but I can't resist picking at some aspects of it as they don't make sense.

SPOILER ALERT for anyone who hasn't got it or finished it yet.

Ok here goes :

First of all, the oh so obvious one :

The forerunners built several Halo's, all with the ability to destroy all life within 25,000 light years. The sole purpose of this would be to deny the flood, should it escape, any way of reproducing. So if it is so important the flood don't spread all over the galaxy, why not simply destroy THEM. Surely this would be far simpler than building massive superweapons to destroy ALL life? Any race with the technology to destroy all life would SURELY be able to wipe out a primitive race such as the flood.

Secondly, the far more tricky one of who were the forerunners. At first I was happy to imagine them as being a separate god-like race that lived millions of years ago. However on the level 'the library', you are given a lot of information to the contrary by 343 Guilty Spark. Here are a few statements :

"I am surprised you brought such ineffective weapons to combat the flood, despite the safety protocols" - How would humans/master chief know about the protocols?

"This facility was built to study the flood, their existence as a race depended on it. I am glad to see at least some survived to reproduce" - Is he talking about the flood or humans here?

But the most important one is, as you are about to activate halo and destroy all sentient life (accidentally)
"Last time you asked me if it was my choice what would I do, I have had so much time to think about this, and my answer hasn't changed" - 343GS here is obviously referring to a PAST time where master-chief himself (or another member of the human race) has had to face this decision.

He goes on to say :
"Why would you hesitate to do what you've ALREADY DONE" - this infers that all these events may have happened before, and that the result was total loss of sentient life in the galaxy.

There is TONNES of theories if you enjoy reading them on this site :
http://halo.bungie.org/
(look under 'the halo story' section)

None of the conjecture on there satisfies me though, none give you a definitive answer that explains everything.

The only thing I can think of is to do with time travel : (this is a bit of a paradox, but bear with me) >

maybe at some point in the future (halo 2?), the flood are discovered in the far outer reaches of space. they destroy any life they come into contact to. Humans some how manage to discover the flood homeworld, and have access to time travel. A group of humans travel back in time to capture and contain the flood before their population can explode. They design the halo structure and imprison the flood on it, leaving robotic sentinels to watch over them. For some reason, it goes wrong, and the flood escape halo. Humans are forced to return and activate the superweapon and destroy the flood for good(?!)

Sorry if you think thats poor, but its hard to make sense of the story. i'm sure in halo 2 and perhaps further games, we will learn just why everything is as it is, but I want to know now!

This might be getting a bit deep, but I think the story is brilliant and wanted to discuss it with anyone who has any theories.

Cheers for reading (if you did)
Sun 04/05/03 at 15:15
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
But its what Cortana finds out when she's uploaded into the controls of Halo. Cortana is an AI created by humans, who had no knowledge of the Halo's, so I think its taking it a bit far to say that part of the story isn't true.
Sun 04/05/03 at 14:11
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
star fury wrote:
> The actual idea is that HALO be used to stop the Flood spreading, not help them

Yea, thats what we are made to beieve, but there is always a twist. Always.
Sun 04/05/03 at 14:09
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
star fury wrote:
> Anyway, the point is that Master Chief is nearly tricked into activating what he has been led to believe are HALOs defensive capabilities when in actual fact HALO only has one use - wipeout all life forms.

But the Master Chief wasn't being tricked, as in the moniter had evil intentions, the moniter was just following protocol, and this explians why he was so confused when chief changes his mind. When cortanna explains what halo does the moniter says "but you already knew that". The moniter may have been expecting the Chief for some time then and explains the stuff borat said.

This is confusing. Great topic though!
Sun 04/05/03 at 13:58
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Mantis wrote:
> When Cortanna says"have you any idea what that BSTRD made you
> do?" chief relpies "activate Halos DEFENSIVE capabilites to
> stop the flood spreading".
> If wiping out the Floods food is Halos defensive capability, then what
> is its offensive? The Flood is some kind of biological weapon I
> think, thats what the Halos are for.

Doesn't she say "nearly made you do" ? Anyway, the point is that Master Chief is nearly tricked into activating what he has been led to believe are HALOs defensive capabilities when in actual fact HALO only has one use - wipeout all life forms. To stop the Flood from spreading all other life forms must be eradicated, hence HALO is defensive as well as offensive.

> Another thing, when you activate one of halos control pannels you se
> Halo split apart into all these segments. What are they? Could these
> be craft to carry the flood into areas to be elimited?

Nah, because the HALOs were created to stop the Flood from spreading, I think where you see HALO split it's more a visual of each part of HALO. The actual idea is that HALO be used to stop the Flood spreading, not help them !
Sun 04/05/03 at 13:50
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Heres some more stuff to think about.

When Cortanna says"have you any idea what that BSTRD made you do?" chief relpies "activate Halos DEFENSIVE capabilites to stop the flood spreading".
If wiping out the Floods food is Halos defensive capability, then what is its offensive? The Flood is some kind of biological weapon I think, thats what the Halos are for.

Another thing, when you activate one of halos control pannels you se Halo split apart into all these segments. What are they? Could these be craft to carry the flood into areas to be elimited?

And another think, why is Halo the way it is? Why the water, soil, rock,grass, air,weather, the characteristics of earth? Are these there to sustain the flood?

And who are the forunners? I think they may be humans, after all you mentioned that the moniter says chief has done this before and he didn't have the protocal weapons. For this to work Humans would have had to go back in time, and create the Halos for the war against the covanent. This would also explain why the moniter calls Chief "recaimer".

Theres more to the Halo story than meets the eye.
Sun 04/05/03 at 09:43
Regular
"Unknown Legend"
The rival wrote:
> Why didn't cortana go with cheif after assualt on the control room?
> Surely covernant could have simply walked through, destroying cortana?

She had control of all of the planet's systems as she had got inside the Halo mainframe.
Sat 03/05/03 at 23:40
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
Hmmm, some good points there. I'll think about them a bit later.

Heres something for now, Halo is a ring- never ending. So mabye time travel does come into it like you said.

And another thing, halo is a superweapon-right? Mabye the Flood is indeed its "weapon", destroying all lifeforms around it. Perhaps every "halo" ring has flood contained in it, as the species is the weapon and the mothed to kill others.

But no thats not right is it coz the moniter wanted to activate Halo to destroy the flood. Didn't he?

I'm trying to think "outside the box". Thinks arn't what they initially seam.
Sat 03/05/03 at 20:42
Regular
"He's back"
Why didn't cortana go with cheif after assualt on the control room? Surely covernant could have simply walked through, destroying cortana?
Sat 03/05/03 at 19:06
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
If you enjoy the plot in the game, then look on Amazon for the HALO: Fall Of Reach and HALO: Flood paperbacks.

Fall Of Reach is great and puts the whole game into perspective, and makes you realise just what kind of planet Master Chief will be returning to in HALO 2. Just one interesting snippet from the book.....the spartans were created from abducted children taken from earth colonies.

It's a great read and really goes into the background of the whole game, and universe around it.
Sat 03/05/03 at 12:04
Regular
you must admit they are pretty stupid though. although bungie did a great job on the AI, they forgot to increase the marine AI along with the enemies, as you increase difficulty setting. so you're marine buddies get wasted to the max too easily.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.