GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"HALO STORY DISCUSSION FORUM"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/05/03 at 15:29
Regular
Okay, its a great game, we all know that, with a superb storyline, but I can't resist picking at some aspects of it as they don't make sense.

SPOILER ALERT for anyone who hasn't got it or finished it yet.

Ok here goes :

First of all, the oh so obvious one :

The forerunners built several Halo's, all with the ability to destroy all life within 25,000 light years. The sole purpose of this would be to deny the flood, should it escape, any way of reproducing. So if it is so important the flood don't spread all over the galaxy, why not simply destroy THEM. Surely this would be far simpler than building massive superweapons to destroy ALL life? Any race with the technology to destroy all life would SURELY be able to wipe out a primitive race such as the flood.

Secondly, the far more tricky one of who were the forerunners. At first I was happy to imagine them as being a separate god-like race that lived millions of years ago. However on the level 'the library', you are given a lot of information to the contrary by 343 Guilty Spark. Here are a few statements :

"I am surprised you brought such ineffective weapons to combat the flood, despite the safety protocols" - How would humans/master chief know about the protocols?

"This facility was built to study the flood, their existence as a race depended on it. I am glad to see at least some survived to reproduce" - Is he talking about the flood or humans here?

But the most important one is, as you are about to activate halo and destroy all sentient life (accidentally)
"Last time you asked me if it was my choice what would I do, I have had so much time to think about this, and my answer hasn't changed" - 343GS here is obviously referring to a PAST time where master-chief himself (or another member of the human race) has had to face this decision.

He goes on to say :
"Why would you hesitate to do what you've ALREADY DONE" - this infers that all these events may have happened before, and that the result was total loss of sentient life in the galaxy.

There is TONNES of theories if you enjoy reading them on this site :
http://halo.bungie.org/
(look under 'the halo story' section)

None of the conjecture on there satisfies me though, none give you a definitive answer that explains everything.

The only thing I can think of is to do with time travel : (this is a bit of a paradox, but bear with me) >

maybe at some point in the future (halo 2?), the flood are discovered in the far outer reaches of space. they destroy any life they come into contact to. Humans some how manage to discover the flood homeworld, and have access to time travel. A group of humans travel back in time to capture and contain the flood before their population can explode. They design the halo structure and imprison the flood on it, leaving robotic sentinels to watch over them. For some reason, it goes wrong, and the flood escape halo. Humans are forced to return and activate the superweapon and destroy the flood for good(?!)

Sorry if you think thats poor, but its hard to make sense of the story. i'm sure in halo 2 and perhaps further games, we will learn just why everything is as it is, but I want to know now!

This might be getting a bit deep, but I think the story is brilliant and wanted to discuss it with anyone who has any theories.

Cheers for reading (if you did)
Tue 13/05/03 at 01:17
Regular
put a topic in the books forum and it sunk like the titanic.

got fall of reach and the flood, am about 2 thirds the way through the fall of reach. its good, but a lot of the first half of the book was rather boring. its hotting up now as it is at the bit where they first fight the two hunters in the museum. hope it gets better though.

anyone read the flood? is it any good? no spoilers please
Tue 06/05/03 at 14:29
Regular
Star Fury wrote:
> Fall Of Reach really sets the scene for Halo 2, 'cause you know if
> you've read it that when Master Chief arrives back in Earth's orbit
> that every single earth colony, base, and person on them, is dead and
> anhilated. It's the last stand.

cheers mister 'blow the storyline for me'

only kidding - I'm gonna read the books soon enough
Tue 06/05/03 at 13:09
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Two books.
Mon 05/05/03 at 18:48
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
There was a book?
Mon 05/05/03 at 12:17
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
Fall Of Reach really sets the scene for Halo 2, 'cause you know if you've read it that when Master Chief arrives back in Earth's orbit that every single earth colony, base, and person on them, is dead and anhilated. It's the last stand.
Mon 05/05/03 at 12:15
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I honestly don't have a clue, but the Flood book came out after the game for sure, so I'm guessing Fall Of Reach did also.
Mon 05/05/03 at 10:19
Regular
Weren't the books written first, and then the game was made based on the books?
Mon 05/05/03 at 09:20
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
The books are excellent and fill in many of the kinds of questions people are asking here, though not all.
Sun 04/05/03 at 23:28
Regular
i think someone said it best when they said theres more to the story than meets the eye.

I get the whole feeling that the halo story is a very large and complicated one, and what you play through in the game is only a tiny part of it.

i have seen the books on amazon, and do plan to get them very soon. i must admit i was apprehensive as books based on computer games, or based on films are usually sub standard, with exceptions in some of the predator and alien books. if they are as good as they sound I will defintitely be getting hold of them.

Something else to think about - why do the covenant think of the ring as being a 'sacred' place. somewhere in the dialogue it is mentioned they consider it to have religious significance. the covenant obviously have previous knowledge of halo and its peer worlds, but not enough to know what species is held captive on it.

hundreds of questions remain unanswered in my view, I think bungie wanted to create a large mystery here, keeping fans curious.

maybe we'll find out a lot more about all this history in halo 2 ....

if you find this all interesting, like I said theres a lot of material on halo.bungie.org, under 'the halo story'. no conclusive evidence though.
Sun 04/05/03 at 22:02
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
Halo story. Bah, been done before. Well, some of it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.