GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"MS copying Wii controller as well?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/07/06 at 01:52
Regular
"8==="
Taken from IGN:

" It appears Nintendo's Wii and its unique motion-based controller may have the unintended effect of forcing other console makers to revist the design of their own controllers. During discussions at at recent Electronic Arts Community Event, Microsoft's Xbox Vice President of Interactive Entertainment Peter Moore suggested that the company may be studying a simplified alternative to its current Xbox 360 gamepad design, according to a report at GamesIndustry.biz.

As he has on previous occassions, Moore praised Nintendo's console for its controller design, comparing it to the Atari 2600's joystick, for its simplicity and stated that Microsoft is actively looking at ways to make games "easier and more intuitive." Moore claimed that current controller designs with their "shoulder buttons, triggers, analog sticks, d-pads" represent a significant "intimidation factor" that act as a barrier to entry for a wider gaming audience. To solidfy this point, Moore stated that Microsoft was open to any innovation that creates a "broader reach for games, because as an industry we've got to do that -- we've got to bring more people in."

When pressed on the issue of Microsoft's intent to develop an alternative to its current Xbox 360 controller design, Moore cryptically stated that the company was "doing a lot of stuff there," but added that it was something that was not ready to be publicly discussed. Moore did say that Microsoft would not force "anything that is not going to be intuitive and innovative" which suggests that the company would not be employing motion-sensing technology in any future controller designs."
Sun 09/07/06 at 11:05
"possibly impossible"
It also seems like a more half-hearted attempt, going by the way Nintendo are building it in to a lot of their games.

But then copying is nothing new anyway, since the days of the Atari Joystick onwards. Microsoft are releasing a Camera and 'eyetoy style' games, sony used the analogue idea after Nintendo made it a success and Nintendo have copied ideas themselves in the past.

But if something is successful or looks like it might be, why not use the idea? The only danger is avoiding Patents...
Sat 08/07/06 at 12:05
Regular
"Mooching around"
Chr1s wrote:
> which says to me that neither of them really has anything fresh > to offer.

I suppose the gaming industry is starting to run dry for ideas. So the only real way forward for game developers is to now follow Nintendo.

The fact that Nintendo had to make the move first does suggest that Sony and Microsoft either feel they have more to lose, or were afraid that it wouldn't take off.

You could say that they both simply let Nintendo have a go first, then follow suit when and if it picked up.
Fri 07/07/06 at 17:37
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Yeah, but they're still adopting the tilting controller in response to Nintendo doing it, which says to me that neither of them really has anything fresh to offer.
Fri 07/07/06 at 16:14
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Chr1s wrote:
> Well, I can, because they're using someone else's idea and that
> really irritates me. Neither Sony or MS have the imagination to
> come up with something like the Wii pad, so they just wait for
> Nintendo to do it first and then steal it and claim that it's
> not the same.

Microsoft have already released a controller with motion sensors in. Sony own a patent for motion sensor controllers. Its not a new idea, you really cant claim anybody stole it. In fact its not even Nintendo's first attempt at it. Once upon a time there was something called the power glove for the NES (this wasnt Nintendo's idea though it was licensed technology). In my opinion the Wii pad has its origins in that. So you might say not even Nintendo had the imagination to come up with something like the Wii pad. ;)
Fri 07/07/06 at 14:18
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Cruciatum Fixative wrote:
> Can't really blame them though can you?

Well, I can, because they're using someone else's idea and that really irritates me. Neither Sony or MS have the imagination to come up with something like the Wii pad, so they just wait for Nintendo to do it first and then steal it and claim that it's not the same.

I don't think I'll by a PS3 just on general principle.
Fri 07/07/06 at 02:38
Regular
"8==="
But the Wii comes with what's basically a gamecube controller too so not every game will have to take advantage of the remote.

The fact that the two controllers can be combined for some games is cool too.

In effect the Wii gives developers 3 different controllers to make games for which should allow them to come up with some original, innovative and intuitive games.

And that's without adding the nunchuck analogue stick into the mix...
Fri 07/07/06 at 02:23
Regular
"Mooching around"
Hedfix wrote:
> The Wii controller seems to have shaken things up at both Sony
> and MS.

Maybe, or maybe they just want to cover all eventualities. However, I prefer Sony's go at the sensor controller, simply because it's not a necessary part of all their games. Even if they copied it off someone else :-D
Fri 07/07/06 at 01:52
Regular
"8==="
The Wii controller seems to have shaken things up at both Sony and MS.
Fri 07/07/06 at 01:39
Regular
"Mooching around"
Can't really blame them though can you?
Fri 07/07/06 at 01:03
Regular
"8==="
Yee and they'd be yelling "Wheeee" on the way down too. :D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.