GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"A pattern emerging?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 14/11/01 at 13:57
Regular
Look at the history of video games, go on, just a quick look. Now what do you notice. I'll give you a clue, Nintendo. Nintendo have fought against all the top consoles and survived. I'll give you a recent example. Sega went under because they understimated the appeal Sony would have on the casual gamers. And now Sony will go under because they believed everyone that bought a playstation would buy a PS2. Nintendo have remained strong through out (mainly thanks to it's hardcore following) and now will go on to challenge Xbox. And though the majority of Xbox consumers will be PC owners (a HUGE audience), the Gamecube will pull through. What do you think?
Fri 16/11/01 at 11:00
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
A clue for you all.
Wed 14/11/01 at 19:13
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
Well, Nintendo GameCube will be a hot contender to PS2 and Xbox, but I think Playstation2 is still going to stay ahead of the pack.

Nintendo has a huge reputation behind them. They brought us fun, excitement and laughter in games so we do owe them some respect. But then on the other hand Sega produced games with the same aspects.
Gameplay seems to be the most looked at content of Nintendo's games. Most of their games may not be good in the graphics department, but playing them is fantastic. Addiction hits you and you can't seem to get off the machine for hours.
Their consoles began with NES to SNES, then the N64 and now GameCube is coming. Then you look at the amount of handhelds created by Nintendo. This brings a total of SIX beautifully designed - at the time of release - gaming phenomenons that Nintendo have delivered us. This is why Nintendo is well-known and well-loved all over the world, because of their strong dedication to gaming!
From previews and reviews I've seen and read about the GameCube there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that Nintendo will once again shock the industry. Mr Miyamoto's developments look truly classic, especially the newly introduced Pikmin! We'll be seeing returns from the Super Smash Bros series, Luigi has his own SPOOOKY game named Luigi's Mansion and the amazingly detailed Wave Race, so no-one better be having second thoughts about Nintendo. Respect!

Now take a look at the two other next-gen consoles beside the GameCube and let's look back to see who's going to be more successful with their consoles.

Playstation2 wasn't the beginning of Sony's gaming, as most of you know, Playstation was Sony's first and hugely successful introduction to gaming. Fans everywhere loved it. As Nintendo brought in their own contribution of fun and exciting games with great gameplay, Playstation did the same. Playstation really made a move to the market bringing action in like it had never been seen before. No more cartoon graphics because Sony meant business!
All games of different genre were looked at through different perspectives all due to Playstation. This was for the better though; gaming fans were waiting for something to trigger off a revolution to games in the industry and Playstation provided.
With a huge array of titles available to what many see as an ancient but classic console, PS2 has recovered Sony's reputation with better graphics and revolutionised gameplay due to the new Dual Shock2 control pads where movement in games depends on how hard you press a button. Although PS2 didn't produce games of its potential when released (Nov 2000) it has surely recovered itself this year. Many fantastic titles are due for release mainly at the end of this year and many more even after this year. A lot of hugely popular PSX titles are also making a comeback like Tony Hawks and Smackdown!, and some have already been released like the 'real driving simulator' Gran Turismo 3.
With all this info I hope you've changed your view about the competition. Playstation2 has a lot of fantastic publishers - as we have noticed from the PSX - that have great potential for producing great games so undoubtedly PS2 is still going to rock this world, after all it is the "Third Place"!

Microsoft's Xbox on the other hand has no predecessor to its name as this is to be Microsoft's debut in console development. We all know they're good with technology due to the man behind it all, Bill gates (legend), so the question is can they produce something new to the industry? Well, I've seen quite a lot of interviews for all the next-gen consoles' developers where they all mainly talk about the power of their new console. Microsoft kept blabbering on about 'polygons per second' and how many Hertz it has. We've heard it all before! However, Nintendo was an exception. In their brief interview they talked about delivering great gameplay to fans as well as graphics. They weren't going on about how many polygons per second their GameCube produces, they seemed more interested in pleasing fans with their games! that's what we want!
So hopefully Microsoft will deliver great gameplaying games as well as their "powerful graphics processor" so they don't end up like poor Sega.

We've looked at it all and we all know the competition is going to be hot. It would've been hotter if Sega were to produce their own next-gen console. Anyway, I think Nintendo and PS2 are going to be the closest of competitors, but I'm really not sure about Xbox.

Aside from all that we have a great future ahead of us as well as quite a lot of tempting consoles to buy. Which one to get? So far I think PS2 and GameCube are THE ones to get mainly because of the price (both £199). The Xbox comes at a hefty £300 odd, which was PS2's first offer, but let's just hope Xbox reduce their prices at exactly the right time like Playstation2 did.

I'll leave you with my console chart for 2000-01:
1. PS2
2. N64
3. GBA
4. Playstation
5. Dreamcast
Wed 14/11/01 at 15:30
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
The choice is simple, shrek.
Don't worry I'm joking.
But have you seen the film? I had to take my cousins to see it. If you watch it you'll see Icewind Dale (and baldurs gate) must have been a huge influence on the film makers. The castle is almost identical, and some of the furniture in his house is like that in the ogres house from ID.
I have to buy Shrek for my sister for X-mas. i'm gonna look a right fool walking into a shop and actually laying down money for the film.
Wed 14/11/01 at 15:24
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Ah, now there's a choice.

So it's between Natural Born Killers, Shrek, Erotic Witch Project.

Hmmm
Wed 14/11/01 at 15:16
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Kewl.
I bet you've got the erotic witch project didn'y you, didn't you!?! eh eh......
Wed 14/11/01 at 15:13
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Umm...most of my wins are DVDs, because I rarely post more than childish taunts in the FOG.

If I knew how I did it, I would do it more often.
Wed 14/11/01 at 15:12
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
lol, so what did you chose?
I got Perfect dark and saved myself the £50 it would have cost me if I'd bought it when it was released.
Wed 14/11/01 at 15:10
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's as much a mystery to me as to you.
Wed 14/11/01 at 14:58
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
Goatboy, how did you win so many times?
Before i got my new ID, i won once and I'd reviewed LOADS of stuff.
Wed 14/11/01 at 14:44
Regular
"Luck from Heaven"
So, let's sum up;
Gay boy Advance
Gaycube
Gaystation
Gaystation one
Gaystation 2
X-sux
Dreamcrap
any more?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.