GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"OK Ninty's - The Final Step, And I Need *YOUR* Help"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/05/03 at 21:51
Regular
I've almost convinced my parents to give me a "loan" of 48 quid for a GC.
The final stages of the transformation of a PCer to a GCer are commencing.

So here's where you come in.

Any ideas how to quickly get some cash?
Give me GOOD reasons why a GC would be good. GOOD remember.
I'm really counting on you lot, and I know you all want me added to the list of Ninty's.
Because you all love me.
*Ahem*

Anyway, yeah, HELP!
Sat 10/05/03 at 00:17
Regular
Maverick42 wrote:

> I really don't see why people are tempted to buy the Gamecube over
> it.
>
> GAMES. And stop trying to put Azul off.

*Laughs hysterically*

Brilliant...

Zelda, Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime are 3 COLD BLOODED KILLER's that makes all those other developers cry because Nintendo don't even give them a chance. Even games like Pikmin which are flawed are just too good for other developers to match...

Microsoft currently have 1 killer ap and until Rare release Perfect Dark it will remain the only killer ap it has. Nintendo... out less time... has released 3. Regarding the average excellent games Nintendo improves there too, Eternal Darkness, Pikmin, Smash Brothers, Resident Evil, Starfox Adventures, Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion, Super Monkey Ball.... and to certain people these games are heralded besides the BIG 3.

Mario Kart next... then the new Mario and watch out for the silent attack of Donkey Kong.
Fri 09/05/03 at 22:58
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
NO you see the controlllers the difference and elevates a X box verison over another ;);)
Fri 09/05/03 at 22:45
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Cubist wrote:
> True but I doubt it will be as good as the X-Box version which won the
> Game Of The Month award in GAME stores.

---

It's the same game...
Fri 09/05/03 at 18:28
Regular
If you really want a DVD player, you'd frankly be stupid not to get multi-region. We get ripped off here so much!

Gamecube is excellent for games - and lots of exclusive ones
Fri 09/05/03 at 18:02
Regular
Cubist wrote:
> Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Shows how much your opinion matters then. Tell me, what exactly
> other
> than a 2nd rate DVD player and a PC style hard drive has the Bill
> box
> got that in your view makes it a more worthwhile purchase than the
> Gamecube.
>
> the good games

What, all two of them?

> I really don't see why people are tempted to buy the Gamecube over it.

GAMES. And stop trying to put Azul off.
Fri 09/05/03 at 17:58
Regular
Cubist wrote:
> Oh I understood the point Azul and I was going to give you some
> reasons to buy it but in my opinion you'd be better of with a PS2 or
> X-Box. I love watching my DVDs but I have to go to my
> "Playroom" which I share with my brother to watch them, I am
> constantly finding myself deleting memory and buying more memory cards
> for my Gamecube, I like the game titles but I also like the great game
> titles such as Halo, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, GTA VC etc Ok the
> graphics for each console are practically the same and the Gamecube is
> smaller but that's hardly a hugely redeeming feature. You I like Audi
> TTs but 4X4 are great too. Keep trying to get the loan if you want but
> the only good thing I have to say about the Gamecube is that it has
> Zelda and Metroid Prime on it, which isn't going to keep you
> interested forever.

The GameCube is a GAMES CONSOLE - not some half arsed DVD player or house-cleaning kit with a games add-on. It's been designed with games in mind, and so plays better and is cheaper for it. Despite the fact that it's been out less time than the other consoles it's got more games worth playing by a mile. Just Zelda and Metroid Prime? Alright, if you disregard about 14 other classics..
Fri 09/05/03 at 17:52
Regular
Azul wrote:
> Any ideas how to quickly get some cash?

You're bound to have some old games or the like lying around at home - I know I do. You'll be surprised at the prices you can get for them if you ask around at school - I'm selling Roller Coaster Tycoon for £10.00 in a few days, and my GBA + Pokemon for £40.00.

Also, if you can get to an ice cream truck or something on a hot day after school - go and buy some of those cheap ice pops (round where I live they're 5p each) and you'll get people buying them for 50p. It's great if you take the bus home too - that'll get more people buying.

> Give me GOOD reasons why a GC would be good. GOOD remember.

You said you were a PC gamer? Well, the GameCube's the only console that really offers a unique style of games. You won't find them on PC, and they truly are the best around.

There are brilliant RPGs such as Skies Of Arcadia: Legends from Sega and Lost Kingdoms. Top adventure games include Zelda: The Wind Waker (utterly fantastic, but I'm sure you've heard that by now) and Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Speaking of horror, there's Resident Evil and Resident Evil Zero and quirky games such as Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing.

Shooters include the excellent Metroid Prime (which, admittedly, is more of an adventure), Star Wars Rogue Leader and Timesplitters 2. There are beat 'em ups like Super Smash Bros Melee, racers like Burnout 2 and Wave Race, party games like Mario Party 4 - and then there's the last word in 3D platforming; Super Mario Sunshine.

Oh - and those are just the ones out already. There are many more genre defying exclusives still to come.

And that's just focusing on the games aspect of things..
Wed 07/05/03 at 21:40
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Ah, why to get a Gamecube..

Well I'm glad to see your coming round Azul!

Here's my three reasons

1) Zelda : For £129.99 you get a stunning game (Legend of Zelda, which has already just whammed in at number 1 on the multi format charts) and, in almost every magazine and website that has reviewed it, has either got 9 or 10 out of 10 or 96% and above. Playing this game is like experiencing one of the happiest moments in your life for 25 hours.

Seriously.

2) Other Games : I have to go a bit Nintendo-fanboy on you now, but of all the 3 consoles and handhelds worth, this one has most potential. Metroid Prime (*drools*) and Zelda are not the only games worth having. Super Mario Sunshine is a delight to play, showing you that Nintendo can do what Sony, Microsoft and all others can't. Super Smash Brothers Melee, Pikmin, Wave Race, Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, all worthy of mucho praise. Plus, with Ikaruga, F Zero GX and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles only a tiny selection of delights to come, it is the Nintendo Year.

And what have the opposition got? Playstation2 (I own one, for the record) has got a good few 'nice' games to come out, but nothing specacular, it never really did. As much as I like Grand Theft Auto Vice City, I feel it really isn't 'all that'. Yes, I enjoyed playing it, but thats all. Another GTA game on PS2? That'll be one good un'. FFX-2 and (possibly) FFXI? Say 3. Then take into account some other surprises and say 6 must-have PS2 games. I know it's in its 3rd year, but even so..

And finall, Xbox. I do not own it, and I personally think this is because it has only 1 killer app, Halo. And I don't even think it's my type of game. Plus it's a PC. No more on the subject before I rant.

Ok, another reason...

3) The Future + Technology : The Gamecube is going places. Although, I'll openly admit, Nintendo is not gun-ho for online gaming, many other innovations, in software and hardware, are comng your way. The Wavebird brought wireless controllers to the world, and the SD memory card will hold all your games saves, full stop. Plus, the Gamecube Game Boy Player, to be released soon, and further advancements in the GBA / GC link up will mean Gamecube will join Sony in the advancements. Xbox, it seems, aprt from XBLive, has very little in this department (however, correct me if I'm wrong). And judging by my online PS2 experience, it's better.

Now I'm not saying any other console isn't worth owning, gawd, I have 3 of em. But in my opinion, a games console is for games. Not a C-class DVD drive. Not a small hard drive which is currently wasted (though hopefully it'll pick up in uses). Not even, to an extent, anonymous online stuff.

It's for fun, original, creative, exciting, stunning, lush, modern, inspired games.

Thats why Nintendo has been doing what it does for over a century (well, not games consoles, obviously ;) )

That was longer than I had expected :D
Wed 07/05/03 at 21:20
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Now I think about it, I shouldnt argue X-Box superiority in a Nintendo forum lol Oh well.
Wed 07/05/03 at 21:18
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Buffy the Wampire slayer is coming out on Cube, though i'd hardly call
> that a reason to buy or own a console.

True but I doubt it will be as good as the X-Box version which won the Game Of The Month award in GAME stores. And if people buy Gamecubes for Zelda then the same can apply for any game if it's good enough.

> Metroid Prime and Zelda are the only reasons to own the console?

That I can think of or have discovered in my experience with the console. It does everything that the other two consoles do except you have to buy memory cards and can't watch DVDs even though they are all around the same price.

> Shows how much your opinion matters then. Tell me, what exactly other
> than a 2nd rate DVD player and a PC style hard drive has the Bill box
> got that in your view makes it a more worthwhile purchase than the
> Gamecube.

The DVD player, the good games, the built in hard drive and all the features that the Gamecube has are what makes that cosnole (in my opinion) worth buying.

> I'm not after a console wars argument, just intrested.

Well now you have your answers.

> I'm tempted by an Xbox, but at the moment other than Halo and a few
> other games there's nothing that really makes me wanna spend the
> money.

People bought the Gamecube just for Zelda so why not buy the X-Box for all the things it has and does? I don't really care if you do or not but I'm just saying that it does a lot more than the Gamecube, it has great games and is about the same price so I really don't see why people are tempted to buy the Gamecube over it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.