GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Future of gaming"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 17/08/00 at 09:05
Regular
When we ask ourselves what is the Future of gaming, what the real truth is we just dont know. Who would have thought the Micro processor would have been invented. In the eighties, did we really see our selves playing Half-life, Quake 3 or even Crazy taxi. When these new technologies came out, people were amazed by them. I feel; that this amazement just might not exists any more. When a game comes out with realistic graphics, we are not breath taken, we do not think to ourselves; " How did they do that." Because the gamers in this present time has seen so many surprises in games again and again, they are bored, starved of new and excting ideas that need to feed their appetites. So when a Multi-billion pound company decides to try and change this, how do they go about it. well, for a start, they make sure you can play your old games from your last console. They will make exciting sequels (!) They even invent the idea of having internet access on your console without giving the buyer a modem. So when trying to make a console, worthy enough of making it "next generation material, " what do you have to do? Well for a start you have to bring out excting "never been seen concepts." Painting on walls looks exciting, driving a taxi around and picking people up for fares looks cool. These ideas may see simple, and if they are seen simple to you, why havent they been used before.! Bringing out a title on a console is a good idea, when it becomes a success, that is good, when you try to make a sequel out of it, depending on the success of the first title is not always going to work. Some titles do make a success when they are made a sequel, but most of the time, it is developers just trying to get another £30-£40 from your wallet. So next generation console have to be original, they have to have experience, and most of all they have to keep their buyers in mind, after all, we are the ones who really control the games industry!
Sun 10/12/00 at 15:03
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Not very often but I used to live in Billericay and my parents still do
Sun 10/12/00 at 15:02
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Tony - do you, in your yellow AudiTT, pass Dukes or Lilford Road?? (both just off of Norsey or Stock Road) That's where me ant Ant live!!
Sun 10/12/00 at 14:59
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Wow - look at this old thread
Thu 21/09/00 at 15:42
Regular
"not dead"
Whatever happened to Jimmy Bob anyway? Did he win a game and disappear? change his name in an attempt to win again? No none of these, he was unfortunately called back to Walton Mountain, as John-Boy Walton had gotten a girl into trouble....
Thu 21/09/00 at 10:21
It it difficult to see just what the future of gaming will be as technology will be changes all the time- just 10 years ago, I was happily playing Super Mario Brothers on my little grey box called a NES, and now 10 years we talk now of photo-realistic graphics and DVD, with huge storage space. The future of gaming though has already been started by Sega and the Dreamcast, think not of 4 friends all crammed in like sardines in your living room playing Goldeneye- you can just hook up a phone cable and play with people from Australia to Zambia over the internet- and even though technology produces better looking games, the internet will prove the future of gaming. It allows people to never get bored of playing games because they can play anyone whenever they want to. We can see with the consoles that are coming out next year- both the X-Box and Gamecube- they will be both bundled with a modem, and that shows how significant both Microsoft and Nintendo are considering the internet and modem gaming as the future. For us in Britain however, all the little kiddies will probably have their parents pulling their grey hairs out when they see their quarterly phone bill! It will be interesting to see how many companies produce games that are internet apable, and with talk of Sony developing a broadband modem capable of playing movies in real time without those annoying jerks that we get with 56K modems in PC's will show that Sony arent trying to market the PS2 as a games console, but as a multimedia device- a home entertainment system if you will. I think that we will see in the future consoles evolving into home entertainment systems which would kill of PC gaming- which is annoying and most of the time very frustrating. The future of gaming is that PCs will not do games, but be a work machine if you will, and consoles will become multimedia devices capable of doing anything you can imagine- dont ask me what that will be!
Sun 03/09/00 at 20:54
Yeah, but Sony doesn't give a fcuk about the UK markets as they keep delaying the PS2 launch etc. Also the PS2 is a useless games machine. Get it only as a poor quaity DVD player coz thats all it is.
Sun 03/09/00 at 20:33
The future of gaming will be decided by none other than the consumer. because you have got a load of tunnel visioned people in the word who absolutely worship the playstation and then say that every other console is C**p even though the haven't got any other consoles to compare it with. So if this type of attitude goes on sony will take over the market because they can make cheap, quickly made $**t games, and then sell them for crazy price's, then get away with it.
Sat 02/09/00 at 10:49
mattvieri wrote:
> how the HELL DO YOU PEOPLE WRITE SO MUCH

Because we went to school
Sat 02/09/00 at 10:47
As I think we all well know, marketing of products is essential.
There is no way that major players like Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft and Sega are going to design a product and not run a marketing campaign. These are what can make many people choose between consoles, because after all, they are almost the same thing...

I beleive that Sony are more likely to win any "console war", because of their marketing strategy...its just much better... People buying the PS2 will not feel like geeks, because it's cool to have a sleek, black bok in the corner of your room... Unfortunately, companies such as Sega and Nintendo have not jumped on this bandwagon, and have continued to market their products as "boys toys" This is why Sony has held such a tight grip on the market, and will continue to do so...

So, The Future of Gaming...I'm afraid it's in the hands of tose horrible Marketing men!!!

The [Q]
Fri 01/09/00 at 00:13
how the HELL DO YOU PEOPLE WRITE SO MUCH

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.