GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Watchdog PS2 rant"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/05/03 at 21:46
Regular
I just watched a couple of hours ago a report on watchdog stating that all Ps2 oners in USA and Europe are having problems with their PS2's after their gaurentee has run out on each console and it will not let and game disc be read.
Sony is ignoring the question "was it a design fault?" and so far I think it was in my own opinion, but I suppose some of you owners out there will say "of course not Sony are GODS".

I will not say anymore since I am not a fanboy, but there will be a fanboy to keep you all on your insulting toes, so come on out Top Score show us what you and your Lexis can do.
Wed 07/05/03 at 10:15
"For the horde!!!!"
Prodigy wrote:
> People don't realise that these things are made on the cheap and as
> such they put in dodgy cheap components (like the laser)

What about the Gamecube?
Wed 07/05/03 at 11:28
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
Most likely your PS2s have accumilated too must dust in the fan thing. My bro somehow cleaned his out and now it's working out nicely.
Thu 08/05/03 at 14:01
Regular
"Wobble"
phi11ip wrote:
> I'll find the news story later but it was something along the lines of
> Sony getting caught because they were installing timers into their
> units causing them to stop working a year or so after they were
> bought.

Please do. I'd like to read a work of fiction like that.

What utter crap. Do you people even THINK about this stuff and how utterly ridiculous it is before you you bleat on about it?

Assuming for one brain-dead minute that that story were to have even the tiniest grain of truth about it, PLEASE take the time to explain to me why my LAUNCH PS2 is still working perfectly after all this time, and still has all of its original components.

My explanation of the relatively insignificant (considering how many have been sold) number of PS2 failures?

Some people are just heavy-handed, ham-fisted knuckleheads who have no idea of how to treat what is essentially a box of sensitive electronic components. This is not a LEGO kit you're playing with, kids!

Take appropriate care of the machine and it will last you for many years. If it doesn't, it's just tough luck - you got a dodgy machine. And when you think how many millions have been made and sold, there's no question that some will be faulty - as with any electronic device. The reason you seem to hear about so many of them is simply because so many people have bought the things.

On a lighter note... there have been no fanboy responses yet, so let me oblige...

I'm sure it's a 'problem' that Nintendo and Microsoft would love to have, but they simply don't shift enough units.

Nintendo design for kids, and so build in extra protection by default.

And to be fair, you couldn't damage an Xbox even by driving a tank under it. Oops, sorry... OVER it.

There. Now EVERYONE'S happy.
Thu 08/05/03 at 14:13
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
This guy rules.

Give him a muffin.
Thu 08/05/03 at 14:13
Regular
"sweats salad dressi"
WITH FANGS!!!!!!!!1
Thu 08/05/03 at 16:28
Regular
"facepartyid prodigy"
Hey, no probs so far with Gamecubes.

With ps2 it isn't dust accumulation like in most cases, the laser actually breaks down over time, and replacing the things is a real pain!
Thu 08/05/03 at 16:52
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Psyİho Fox wrote:
> Sony is ignoring the question "was it a design fault?"

Not surprising really. The original batches of PS2s had the laser mounted on plastic tracking. As the laser moved across the face of a disc, the plastic tracking gradually wore down over time causing the laser to move away from the correct path required to read discs, hence the disc reading errors.

Not a design fault; due to the pattern of occurrences (some launch PS2s still working fine despite heavy use, others not despite infrequent use) I'd say the problem has arisen due to a faulty batch of plastic tracks (as in manufactured a couple of microns too thin or heat-treated outside the range of the usual production temperature) that must have slipped passed the QA team.

However, a large proportion of disc read errors are due to scratched or dirty discs, dusty laser lenses and PS2 owners not realising that they can 'force' the laser back on track by enabling 'Diagnosis On' in the PS2's configuration menu and various other official methods.

As with most Watchdog cases I attribute the cause of complaint to RTFM-itis.
Thu 08/05/03 at 17:00
WatchDog is like a consumer programme version of Jeremy Paxman - once you've been mentioned by the programme/person, the company receives far more slack than is necessary (at least in Sony's case).
Thu 08/05/03 at 17:01
Hang on, slack isn't the right word - try criticism.
Thu 08/05/03 at 17:02
Regular
sony are cretins, I don't know who they think they are making these substandard consoles. anyway, they've lost themselves a customer. I was a pro-sony guy until my ps2 threw a wobbler and decided to stop playing discs.

I always thought microsoft had too much money and therefore refused to purchase an x-box, but at least they have the decency to make consoles that last longer than 5 (figuratively speaking) minutes.

I'd only had my console just under 2 years and it packed up. I regularly used the lens cleaner to make sure it lasted.

its america v japan again and I'm rooting for the yanks

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.