GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Console Wars - who is the best?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/05/03 at 09:51
Regular
Playstation 2 vs Xbox?????

Xboxz overall better and Matt Gunter is a very intelligent and respected young man. Gee, I wish I were as cool as him!

(Edited - Peace out. Hybrid!)
Wed 21/05/03 at 09:02
but matt gunter is gay though!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if (Edited - Peace out. Hybrid!)edits this message he is gay aswell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tue 20/05/03 at 00:32
Regular
"8==="
I suppose if you own more than one console, or are thinking of getting another, its worthwhile. Seeing what problems people have with a console helps people know what to look out for and what to beware of. Having read the various console discussions since I joined i'm more inclined to get a ps2 than I ever was before. Before I would have compared buying a ps2 to buying the 'supercharged junkheap' you describe.
Tue 20/05/03 at 00:18
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Not read any well many of the previous posts in this thread but I have a few points to make.

Buying a console just because it has the best specs would be like buying a car just because it has the most bhp, even if it is a supercharged junk heap that will last a few weeks. There is more to a car than bhp and there is a lot more to a console than its specifiacation.

I've looked at the PS2 and XBox in detail and they are both fairly similar in terms of internal architecture, the XBox does beat the PS2 performance wise but when you take into account that the PS2 was released a year before then that isn't surprising but it is the difference in performance that shocks me - ie it isnt as much as I would have expected.

Its been mentioned in every console wars topic and probably will be that it is down to personal opinion of the gamer and the choice of games available and developers who have agreed to develop for it.

I guess it is like comparing apples to oranges and bananas.
There is little point in doing it so why bother?
Tue 20/05/03 at 00:08
Regular
"8==="
Maverick42 wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> I agree with you on the ps2 point. However GC lacks some good FPS
> action.
> i have a cube, but my xbox games out number my cube ones 2 to 1
>
> Try Metroid Prime, Timesplitters 2 and Jedi Knight II for FPS action.
> Alternatively, there's Rogue Squadron II and the like if you're into
> shooting.
>
> What Xbox and GameCube games do you have?

I have 10 GC games
and 23 xbox games

too many for me to be enthusiatic in listing them.

I have TS2 for xbox (because the harddisk makes level design practical)

I had an n64 (mainly for the FPS games) and generally own all the FPS games for the console I think has the most/best. When GC gets a good unique FPS (that possession game is one) I will get it. I mainly have my cube for the exclusives.

If 5 people tell me they want to know what my games are then I will type them all out otherwise I won't bother.
Sun 18/05/03 at 13:28
Regular
"Im a Daddy :-)"
Xbox is best in my opinion! Actually i dont think that but
its best for me!? I think that different consoles suit
different people! I have a game cube but it only gets used
when we have friends around for multi players(monkey ball 2 etc).
But my xbox gets used most nights.If you like the games that are out
on a specific console then thats the one for you!
Sun 18/05/03 at 07:47
Regular
"Sorry about speelin"
how i hate the console wars, there all different so ho gives a
Mon 12/05/03 at 21:00
Regular
Some fine comments there Maverick. Oversimplified or not, it's true that if you want to play games like Pikmin, you should buy a Gamecube. What we are talking about here are special games that showcase consoles strengths (either graphically or by originality).

Gamecube has Pikmin that is unique, quirky and fun. XBox has Halo, which as far as I am concerned is unequalled on any other console. For games like Resident Evil, or Burnout for example, I can choose any console and take my pick of the games. These days you have to look at the Pikmins and Halos of this world to make a purchase decision on a console.
Mon 12/05/03 at 18:47
Regular
Nomino wrote:
> XBox doesn't have games like Pikmin and Smash Brothers because if you
> haven't already noticed, the age-group that XBox is targeted at is
> significantly older than the Gamecube's. That's not to say young
> people don't own an XBox and vice-versa, but it does explain why XBox
> doesn't have (or need) games like that.

I understand what you're saying - but I still hold strong that Nintendo games are for all ages (you own a 'Cube yourself, do you not?). The Xbox certainly wouldn't be harmed from a few quirky and original games like Pikmin, because that's the one thing owners don't have; at present, it's an untapped market and this may be some of the reason for buying Rare.

> Take the hard drive out of the XBox and it would still have the same
> sort of games, so how is that an advantage with respect to your post?
> The only advantage that gives is that of mass game-save storage and
> MP3 storage/playback.

He was saying that the hard drive eliminated the use for memory cards and also new gaming innovations (as does live). Those are the Xbox's MAIN advantages and selling points over the competition.

> 1) If you want to play games like Pikmin, get a Gamecube
> 2) If you want to play games like Halo, get an XBox

That's a huge oversimplification of a complicated issue. There ARE no games like Pikmin - it's innovative and original, and I don't think people that own Resident Evil, Resident Evil Zero, Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime and the like see it as that kind of console at all.

Likewise, the people that play Blinx and Panzer Dragoon Orta on the Xbox (I play Morrowind) see it as a FPS console. Those two statements (or 'facts' as you called them), really were quite stupid.

> If you can only afford one console, you have to make a decision. But,
> don't try and justify that decision to yourself by childishly slating
> the other consoles, because that's what this fan-boy attitude comes
> down to; justifying your purchase to yourself.

That's harsh - Strafex was just voicing his opinion; respect it.
Mon 12/05/03 at 18:33
Regular
Strafex wrote:
> Still, while the GC has make-do FPS, the Xbox doesn't have anything
> close to touching Pikmin, Smash brothers, Mario Kart... etc... or any
> of Nintendo's quirky fun games.
>
> Xbox's main advantages over the competition is live and that hard
> drive.

XBox doesn't have games like Pikmin and Smash Brothers because if you haven't already noticed, the age-group that XBox is targeted at is significantly older than the Gamecube's. That's not to say young people don't own an XBox and vice-versa, but it does explain why XBox doesn't have (or need) games like that.

Take the hard drive out of the XBox and it would still have the same sort of games, so how is that an advantage with respect to your post? The only advantage that gives is that of mass game-save storage and MP3 storage/playback. Some facts for you:

1) If you want to play games like Pikmin, get a Gamecube
2) If you want to play games like Halo, get an XBox

If you can only afford one console, you have to make a decision. But, don't try and justify that decision to yourself by childishly slating the other consoles, because that's what this fan-boy attitude comes down to; justifying your purchase to yourself.
Mon 12/05/03 at 18:25
Regular
For me the Xnox has the best selection of games out of any console. What I like about owning both an Xbox and GameCube is the ability to play different styles of games whilst keeping the fun element in both styles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.