GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Second best 100 books"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/04/07 at 20:22
Regular
On the back of the 100 books list, I'm interested in your views - what else do you consider a classic book that deserves to be mentioned?

I'm thinking really good here, not just quite good.
Mon 30/04/07 at 18:24
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Nin wrote:
> Black Glove wrote:
> Thus Spake Zarathustra, Fred Nietzsche
>
> I started reading this about a month ago and never got back to
> it.

It is a bit excessive in poetic metaphors. I was obsessed with it for a number of years, reading it over and over, spellbound by it. These days I'm indifferent, but I'd put it in my top 100 list.
Mon 30/04/07 at 15:51
Regular
"Monochromatic"
Black Glove wrote:

I started reading this about a month ago and never got back to it.
Mon 30/04/07 at 08:09
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Revolver Ocelot wrote:
> ......?

They are all well-known works by well-known writers.
Blindness by Saramago is being made into a movie (starring Daniel Craig) in 2008.
Sun 29/04/07 at 13:27
Regular
"Hellfire Stoker"
The Day of the Jackal - Frederick Forsyth
Empire of the Sun - J.G. Ballad
Papillon - Henri Charriere
In Durance Vile - John Brown (Trust me, it's better than the title suggests!)
Notes from a Small Island - Bill Bryson
Around the World in 80 Days - Michael Palin

I know it's supposed to be focused on novels, but what the hell, I felt like making things a bit more autobiographical and non-fiction-esque!
Sun 29/04/07 at 13:26
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Black Glove wrote:
> It's such a subjective thing, and I too haven't read that much,
> but four classic books I'd put on a top list would be
>
> Blindness, Jose Saramago
Serious.
> Pale Fire, Vladimir Nabokov
Serious.
Serious.
> Monkey, Wu Ch'eng-en
......?
Sun 29/04/07 at 08:13
Regular
"Laughingstock"
It's such a subjective thing, and I too haven't read that much, but four classic books I'd put on a top list would be

Blindness, Jose Saramago
Pale Fire, Vladimir Nabokov
Thus Spake Zarathustra, Fred Nietzsche
Monkey, Wu Ch'eng-en
Sat 28/04/07 at 22:54
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Sibs wrote:
> Wurd.
How could a one word post make me laugh so hard?
Sat 28/04/07 at 17:52
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I used to read a fair bit when I was youngish, then pretty much stopped (apart from school required stuffs) around GCSE/A-level time as I was busy doing the whole teenager thing. Started reading a bit again at Uni, but haven't ever really found the time to read that much (although I seem to find the time to post on online chat forums... Read into that what you will).

Hopefully this Summer I'll find some time to finish off a few books I've been part-way through for ages, as well as start and finish a few more I got given recently.

I really don't know what I consider 'classic'. I haven't read a vast number of books others would consider 'classics', and in order to feel 'qualified' to talk of classic books I feel I should've read more that others consider the height of literature. I just know what books I enjoyed reading and that's that really.
Sat 28/04/07 at 17:45
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Wurd.
Sat 28/04/07 at 12:56
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Every single word written by David Eddings.
Every, single, word

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.