GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Second best 100 books"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 27/04/07 at 20:22
Regular
On the back of the 100 books list, I'm interested in your views - what else do you consider a classic book that deserves to be mentioned?

I'm thinking really good here, not just quite good.
Sun 27/05/07 at 14:52
Regular
The Historian, read it.
Thu 24/05/07 at 18:55
Regular
"Devotion 2The Ocean"
Mumbai Duck wrote:
> On the back of the 100 books list, I'm interested in your views -
> what else do you consider a classic book that deserves to be
> mentioned?
>
> I'm thinking really good here, not just quite good.

Kamasutra?

;)
Mon 21/05/07 at 19:35
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'd just like to add "Invitation to a Beheading", which is the most beautiful, topsy-turvy, sublime, surreal thing ever penned.
Sat 05/05/07 at 15:08
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Ineedsleep wrote:
> I thought it was all very good as well but I'm a big fan of his.
> I have read and re-read the Elenium and Tamuli series - in fact
> I've just bought them all again 'cos the old books were looking
> a little 'worn' :)
>
> However, I still stick by the fact that I would not put the
> Tamuli on a recommended book list for someone else.

Agreed, in fact I think its difficult to recommend any of the sequel series he did. They are comfortably familiar which makes them a good read to some extent but hardly anything new. I really hated that in the Tamuli he tried to place a different interpretation on events in the Elenium to make the story fit together. He did the same with the Mallorean/Belgariad and the spin off books. With the spin off book parts of the story subtly changed.
Thats not to say I dont like them, read them far too many times, just a pet peeve of mine about them. :)
Sat 05/05/07 at 14:24
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Read the Rivan Codex yet? Should.
Thu 03/05/07 at 08:22
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
I thought it was all very good as well but I'm a big fan of his. I have read and re-read the Elenium and Tamuli series - in fact I've just bought them all again 'cos the old books were looking a little 'worn' :)

However, I still stick by the fact that I would not put the Tamuli on a recommended book list for someone else.

I have The Dreamers but not read any of them yet.

Take a break from Eddings and do yourself a favour - go read the Fionavar Tapestry!
Wed 02/05/07 at 17:22
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Ineedsleep wrote:
> Revolver Ocelot wrote:
> Every single word written by David Eddings.
> Every, single, word
>
> Not true. If you read The Elenium series you shouldn't read The
> Tamuli unless you are a devoted fan - it is just a rehash.
> Although the Mallorean is a rehash of The Belgariad he's allowed
> to get away with it as combined they are my third favourite set
> of books which I keep re-reading.
What? I thought it all was very good, reading the Mallorean now, going to move on to The dreamers.
Wed 02/05/07 at 12:12
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Mumbai Duck wrote:

> I'm thinking really good here, not just quite good.

That's a hard recommendation to make. It all depends on what you really like reading. Been in the 'top 100 book' list earlier and The Magician is my all time favourite book / writer.

Most of the books I read are part of a series (Magician is book one of many) and my second favourite series is The Fionavar Tapastry (The Summer Tree, The Wandering Fire, The Longest Road).

But they are all fantasy.

Favourite non fantasy series is the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. I have ALL my female friends now addicted to this series and in turn they are addicting their own female friends. Note here the lack of recommendations to MALE friends though :D

Go on then - recommend to me a good poker book!
Wed 02/05/07 at 12:04
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Revolver Ocelot wrote:
> Every single word written by David Eddings.
> Every, single, word

Not true. If you read The Elenium series you shouldn't read The Tamuli unless you are a devoted fan - it is just a rehash. Although the Mallorean is a rehash of The Belgariad he's allowed to get away with it as combined they are my third favourite set of books which I keep re-reading.
Tue 01/05/07 at 18:01
Regular
"Blood on my suit"
Sorry, it was meant to be a joke, but.....
What I meant was the titles were all serious and then something about monkeys came back.
They're funny.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.