GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario Golf looks amazing...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Mario Golf'.
Wed 14/05/03 at 00:52
Regular
That's one thing I didn't expect to find myself saying, but it does...

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=4398

WOW

Oh and I just downloaded the footage of Resi 4 off IGN and nearly shat myself, it looks absoloutly amazing. It makes the Resi remake look like some crappy PS1 game.

I can't wait!!!
Wed 14/05/03 at 01:47
Regular
At least we don't need all our food liquidised and/or pumped directly into veins.
Wed 14/05/03 at 11:04
Regular
From the site:
"Choose to play on a conventional course or an all-new course designed from the ground up to be all about the Mushroom Kingdom!"

There'd better be more than two courses. Really.

Looks good, but a little rough around the edges (such as the octagonal teeing areas).

Not living up to my expectations. Hopefully it's not finished yet. Hopefully there'll be at least.. 8 courses seems like a reasonable minimum. Hopefully they'll have the controls spot-on.

It has potential, but looks a little bit of a let-down.

Ah well. *Hugs Tiger Woods 2003*
Wed 14/05/03 at 13:18
Regular
no mario tennis though :\
Wed 14/05/03 at 13:34
Regular
I've changed my mind, this looks rubbish.

The graphics are nice but after reading the hands on, on IGN I have absoloutly no intrest in buying this game anymore.

The main reason for this is because they're using the old button pressing method for the swing instead of using the analog stick.

How can they do this?

The crappy button pressing method is dated and rubbish, golf games don't use it anymore.

I think i'll just be purchasing Tiger Woods 2004 this year. This game should have been so good.
Wed 14/05/03 at 14:06
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The main reason for this is because they're using the old button
> pressing method for the swing instead of using the analog stick.

*Clasps hands to mouth*

What?

That's just.. sick!

Are you *certain* about this?

Screw Mario Golf, I'll save my money.
Wed 14/05/03 at 14:11
Regular
Are you sure?

I read it had two versions, an simple one for amatuer players and a more complicated method for more advanced players.
Wed 14/05/03 at 14:17
Regular
Read this, it sounds crappy

Taken from IGNInsider.com

There's no doubt in our minds that Japanese development studio Camelot Software Planning is a talented bunch. Its beloved N64 sports lineup of tennis and golf titles staring Mario and company are some of the most well-balanced and enjoyable videogames in Nintendo history. It's with this mindset that we anxiously awaited the E3 2003 unveiling of Camelot's first GameCube sports sequel: Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. The implied promise of upgraded visuals, new gameplay modes, and an expanded character roster danced through our heads and kept us dizzy with anticipation as we approached Nintendo's booth. So you can imagine our disappointment to find the largely unpolished debut of Toadstool Tour waiting for us instead of a quality product typical of Camelot.
The game still isn't scheduled to ship for quite some time, so we're not about to pass judgment at this unfinished stage of development. But we can tell you exactly what Nintendo is showcasing on the E3 show floor, and sadly, that is not the fantastic GameCube Mario Golf title that we were hoping see. Sure, the game still features all of the same great Nintendo franchise characters one would hope to find: Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Donkey Kong, Koopa Troopa, Wario, Waluigi -- they're all there, and more will probably make an appearance in the final version. But even this star billing isn't enough to make this early demo worth playing for very long.

As it stands now, the game's biggest concern is its camera work and perspective. Anytime during play -- from tee to green -- players can use the C stick to pull the camera far back for an overhead shot or push it forward for an approach view of the fairway and cup. In theory, such a setup seems useful, but in practice, it's actually quite oversensitive and frustrating. The camera typically uses a long lens -- meaning, the opposite of a wide-angle lens. This gives the action a slightly flat and compressed point of view that can make judging distances and perspectives tricky. Other times, the camera viewpoint just hangs behind background objects like trees or pipes during the many flyby ball shots. Visually, the game is still looking a bit rough, with low-detail environments, simple texture work, and minimal effects in place. We've no doubt that the development studio will smooth things out considerably before the product is final, so we're not worried -- we're just not anxious to keep playing the E3 demo, either.

But aside from our concerns, we were able to jot down notes on the many new features and controls that the game looks to include. For starters, Mario golfers can once again hit the links in either Stroke or Doubles play, and this time we'll also be visiting courses centered around classic Nintendo locales such as the Mushroom Kingdom castle or Mount Mario (think Rushmore with the Italian plumber's mug where Washington's once stood) in addition to the more normal "human"-style courses. The Nintendo influenced terrain will feature new gameplay enhancers such as giant green warp tubes -- lob your shot inside and it'll pop out somewhere else down the fairway. This should give the design team a fresh and creative set of possibilities to mix-up our Mario Golf thrills in the final game.

In terms of control, the game takes a few minutes of concentration to get your hands in tune with Camelot's configuration, but it quickly sinks in. The Y and X buttons toggle between the various aerial and drop viewpoints respectively, which, as we mentioned, could still use some tuning. Pressing up and down on the left analog stick cycles through your bag of clubs, while the Z button toggles between a normal or power swing. The L and R buttons position a max distance slider at the bottom of the screen, and the D pad can be used to pinpoint the exact spot you'd like to strike the ball to give it the proper spin. Using these pre-shot controls feel rather clunky in comparison to the streamlined mechanics of such greats as EA's Tiger Woods 2003 title, but they eventually get the job done.

When you're all lined-up and ready for a shot, the controls take a much improved turn for the better. Now we've got some choices to make on how best to smack the lumpy little ball, and they offer a bit of gameplay depth that we're happy to enjoy. Toadstool Tour uses the standard sliding bar method like so many golf games before it, but the key to a great shot is more in the choice of buttons pressed than just the typical timing routine (which also remains a factor). Hitting the A button fills the meter from right to left, and if no other buttons are pressed, then you'll see Wario wind up and relax as if only taking a practice swing -- in his case, a very angry practice swing.
As the meter fills, players can choose to hit one of two buttons to mark the strength (i.e. distance) of their shot. The A button can be used by beginners or just lazy players in general who don't want to bother with the game's more refined shot controls, as using it will firmly stop the meter in place without worry of stopping it a second time. But real men (and real women) use the B button to stop their meters. This will mark its peak and send it sliding back to the right for the all-important second alignment stop that determines hook and slice. You can use B again to stop it's descent, or if you're a real man (or real woman), then you'll quickly press a two-button combination of choice using A and B to pick your desired ball spin: A-A for topspin, B-B for backspin, A-B for super topspin, or B-A for super backspin. This lets players choose to punch their shots straight through the air or loft them high for straight drops to the turf. The emphasis placed on the B button definitely requires some mental conditioning to keep from hitting the default, fat A button when stopping the meter, but like anything, it's easily learnable, and we definitely appreciate the depth of the two-button system.

Toadstool Tour should also pack a fair amount of Nintendo personality into the final version, as players of the E3 demo can use the D pad and C sticks to both taunt and compliment their multi-player opponents (similar to the previous N64 version). So just as you're lining up for your perfectly spotted birdie putt and slowly drawing your backswing, a small text window pops up along with character voiceovers such as "Don't blow it!" or "I know you can do it!" Neither is very helpful, and that's pretty much the point. While it helps to give waiting players something to pass the time and annoy their friends to no end, the E3 version definitely requires more tuning, as we can now literally flood the screen with enough spam to completely smother it, not to mention drive our ear buds insane.
Wed 14/05/03 at 14:57
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hmm. Still, this is only E3. Maybe they'll listen to complaints etc, and change.

Maybe.

I still want it. I don't give a toss about whether it uses buttons or the stick.
Wed 14/05/03 at 14:57
Regular
Tiger Woods it is then
Wed 14/05/03 at 16:38
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Apparently, also, it's not going to make Christmas here.

Q1 2004, say Cube-Europe.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.