GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"London"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 23/04/07 at 21:23
Regular
In hindsight, I have renewed respect for the marathon runners.

26 and a bit miles is one thing. But the air in this city stinks. It must have half the oxygen concentration of proper air. I wouldn't want to do any exercise here - anything that makes you breathe in any deeper than absolutely necessary is a no-no.

Travelling in is a very unpleasant experience. You spend 45 minutes standing in a crowded train, cramped in with strangers, drowning in a gassy sea of morning halitosis. Then you get off and waddle in a giant flock of human ducks (ahem) slowly making their way from the train to the tube. Down to the platform, as you submerge into the sea of halitosis once more.

I think the thing I hate most is how if you try to show any courtesy by letting someone on before you, or giving someone a couple of inches of space as you queue, some lowlife toad will drop an elbow into the gap and lever himself in.
Essentially the price for showing courtesy or respect is to get shafted. It's turned into a weakness.

Meanwhile the rude, mean-spirited little locals carve up the queues. Sometimes the middle-aged women are the worst - disillusioned with a world that lost interest as quickly as the beauty of their youth faded and secure in the knowledge that nobody's going to really retaliate, they have nothing to lose as they get physical with their elbows and high heels.
I don't like the way they smell either. Too much purfume, it's overpowering.

You can't fight back, and they're skunked up to push you further out of contention for the next tube carriage.

Mind you, it seems like a rough lot - middle aged women do seem to get somewhat neglected by the world. I guess this is especially true in a big city.
Men tend to fare a little better. Not to worry though, by the time you're retired, whatever your gender society will view you as worthless.

So, fresh from an hour sardined in with obnoxious strangers who treat you like dirt and who stink of bad perfume and stale mouth, you're ready to start your working day.

And what a grind that is. 8 hours of grind, before you get to go home. Then it's another hour with the same vile people. The breath tends to be better, but the crowds usually seem worse.

A couple of hours to unwind, and your evening is fast ebbing away. Maybe 2 more hours to get something to eat and squeeze in some time to try to be happy.

The thing I really hate is the damage it's doing to my generalised other.
The human brain can only keep track of the detailed likes, dislikes, and views of 7 or 8 individuals. The rest gets fudged into a generic 'everyone'. This is the generalised other. You use it when you think of trends and generalities in people at large. This perception of 'everyone' is shaped by every interaction you have. It's not, however, usually accurate to what 'everyone' is really like. This is why publications like the Daily Mail are harmful to peoples' world views - your 'everyone' is shaped by stories of peadophiles and illegal immigrants and terrorists and single mums. Your perception of 'everyone' gets skewed even further out of line with reality than normal. You gradually become a suspicious, hateful and biggoted retard. As many of the people on my old paper round will evidence.

The twice-daily battering of smelly scumbags is impacting my generalised other. I become more indifferent, even rude myself, to strangers. The zombies have eaten my brains and I'm slowly transforming into one of them.
Is this the great disease of the 21st century?
(Or are we still worried about cancer and AIDs? *Slaps self for the melodrama*. 3rd greatest disease then.)

I hope I get out of this city soon.
Mon 23/04/07 at 22:56
Regular
I love London.
Mon 23/04/07 at 22:50
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
What train station you go to Duck? I used to go to Victoria (about 20mins from where I lived by train) then get the tube to South Ken (where I'm at Uni). Was hellish if you had a 9am start. Try to get a train at about 8am, but by the time it arrives at my stop it's already packed and half the time you had absolutely no chance of getting on, so had to wait for the next one, just hoping there'd be some room this time.

Then 2 stops down the line, people on the platform are asking "can you move down a bit?"... Erm, no, I would have thought by the fact I'm crushed and can't stand up straight that it was obvious I can't!

Yeah, I don't do that anymore (long story), now living in a small room in Kensington/Chelsea for the remaining term of my Uni career. I now walk in, which is far more pleasant especially as it's been quite warm recently, more predictable as I don't have to deal with late/cancelled/full trains, and probably a lot healthier too.

[PS - Nin, the underground is *generally* fine unless it's rush hour... Even then certain lines are far better than others, but if you're using it every day for travel you'll have problems with it sooner or later]
Mon 23/04/07 at 21:48
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I must be the only one who's oblivious to all this. I've never had any problems on the underground, i love travelling on it.
The only time i didnt like London was on Regent Street 18 months ago when you could barely move without bumping into someone but thats what happens when you go out before christmas. Even New Years Eve, 600,000 people trying to get home, the mood was great despite the massive crowds. The only thing that pi**ed people off were the police being a bit heavy-handed but what do you expect, the stupid ba**ards closed Leicester Square station because everyone was queuing up to get in.
Mon 23/04/07 at 21:23
Regular
In hindsight, I have renewed respect for the marathon runners.

26 and a bit miles is one thing. But the air in this city stinks. It must have half the oxygen concentration of proper air. I wouldn't want to do any exercise here - anything that makes you breathe in any deeper than absolutely necessary is a no-no.

Travelling in is a very unpleasant experience. You spend 45 minutes standing in a crowded train, cramped in with strangers, drowning in a gassy sea of morning halitosis. Then you get off and waddle in a giant flock of human ducks (ahem) slowly making their way from the train to the tube. Down to the platform, as you submerge into the sea of halitosis once more.

I think the thing I hate most is how if you try to show any courtesy by letting someone on before you, or giving someone a couple of inches of space as you queue, some lowlife toad will drop an elbow into the gap and lever himself in.
Essentially the price for showing courtesy or respect is to get shafted. It's turned into a weakness.

Meanwhile the rude, mean-spirited little locals carve up the queues. Sometimes the middle-aged women are the worst - disillusioned with a world that lost interest as quickly as the beauty of their youth faded and secure in the knowledge that nobody's going to really retaliate, they have nothing to lose as they get physical with their elbows and high heels.
I don't like the way they smell either. Too much purfume, it's overpowering.

You can't fight back, and they're skunked up to push you further out of contention for the next tube carriage.

Mind you, it seems like a rough lot - middle aged women do seem to get somewhat neglected by the world. I guess this is especially true in a big city.
Men tend to fare a little better. Not to worry though, by the time you're retired, whatever your gender society will view you as worthless.

So, fresh from an hour sardined in with obnoxious strangers who treat you like dirt and who stink of bad perfume and stale mouth, you're ready to start your working day.

And what a grind that is. 8 hours of grind, before you get to go home. Then it's another hour with the same vile people. The breath tends to be better, but the crowds usually seem worse.

A couple of hours to unwind, and your evening is fast ebbing away. Maybe 2 more hours to get something to eat and squeeze in some time to try to be happy.

The thing I really hate is the damage it's doing to my generalised other.
The human brain can only keep track of the detailed likes, dislikes, and views of 7 or 8 individuals. The rest gets fudged into a generic 'everyone'. This is the generalised other. You use it when you think of trends and generalities in people at large. This perception of 'everyone' is shaped by every interaction you have. It's not, however, usually accurate to what 'everyone' is really like. This is why publications like the Daily Mail are harmful to peoples' world views - your 'everyone' is shaped by stories of peadophiles and illegal immigrants and terrorists and single mums. Your perception of 'everyone' gets skewed even further out of line with reality than normal. You gradually become a suspicious, hateful and biggoted retard. As many of the people on my old paper round will evidence.

The twice-daily battering of smelly scumbags is impacting my generalised other. I become more indifferent, even rude myself, to strangers. The zombies have eaten my brains and I'm slowly transforming into one of them.
Is this the great disease of the 21st century?
(Or are we still worried about cancer and AIDs? *Slaps self for the melodrama*. 3rd greatest disease then.)

I hope I get out of this city soon.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.