GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My E-Mail to Rare"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 21/05/03 at 18:13
Regular
Just mailed this to Rareware.com 's 'Scribes'

They'll probably ignore it, but anyhoo...

______

Call me bitter, but did your E3 line up not look as impressive as many would've thought?

I mean, come one, 'Grabbed by the Ghoulies'? it sounds like a game that ubisoft would bring out at Christmas time or an EA game in a similar spirit to 'Ty the Tazmanian Tiger'. I'm okay with crap names - I want Ikaruga for heavens sake -, but only as long as the premise of the game sounds interesting.

Yes, it may be my view and mine only, but unless you do something spectacular and radical - something i've not seen from you since 'Blast Corps' - I really do fear for this game.

One extraordinarily good point I'd like to point out - cel shading. I wonder how many X-Box owners shall be calling Zelda's look childish when they've got 'GBTG' in their collection?

All of them probably.

Also, 'Conkers Bad Fur Day'. What the hell? So you make an X-Box live game, and instead of making it availible to play offline or creating a new game, you add a 5 year old (ish) game onto the package with 'new footage', as if that's meant to amend the fact that you couldn't be bothered to conjuer up another game for us to play. C'mon Rare, I need reasons to buy an X-Box and you're not helping. If you want to port old games onto new systems, go and develop solely for GBA.

Also, I got Starfox the other day. A long busride and a few hours later I felt like I'd rather have spent my money on the abysmal 'Cel Damage'. I thought I'd got myself a Rare gem, and that the cynics that critisised it were just upset with your sale. Now I realise they were telling the truth about how boring it actually is.

Sorry Rare, but you no longer capitivate me.

Matthew

________
Fri 23/05/03 at 11:34
Regular
"keep your receipt"
I think that on Xbox, Rare don't really have the motivation to create amazing games that they used to have. let's face it, their recent history has been a bit demoralising...Free Radical breaking off, being sold by Nintendo, and another bunch of employees leaving. They're not even close to the Rare that were releasing GoldenEye and Banjo-Kazooie a few years ago. And without a Miyamoto figure at Microsoft to guide and nurture them, I doubt any of their new games will surpass even SFA.
Fri 23/05/03 at 11:33
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It seems to me like Microsoft are TELLING Rare what-to-do...!
Fri 23/05/03 at 08:59
Regular
"Conker the King"
GO GO SUPER MATTHEW DX wrote:

>> I do believe they are going downhill.

If Joe Public think Rare's standards have dropped, then maybe thats the reason Nintendo decided to dump them! Rare's upcoming titles are not much to write home about are they! If all they had to offer was KAMEO (which looked naff anyway)! and Grabbed by the Ghoulies (oh please....)! then I would've sold them too! (had it been my choice)!

I loved Rare in their heyday (banjo, conker, jo) but they simply lost the plot and got cocky!

The best designers at Rare have moved on to pastures new.

Rare without Nintendo just wont work. Nintendo had input into their games and without them it will be a rudderless ship! Microsoft require profit over quality so releases will come faster and quality will be zero!
Wed 21/05/03 at 18:42
Regular
"Festivus!"
Dringo wrote:
> Well aiming to reach AAA standards increases the likliehood of a
> classic game. They are still better than most developers.

A footballer is only as good as his last game.

And judging by Rare's last game it is extremely poor.

I actually prefer playing games like SSx Tricky, Agressive Inline and NBA Courtside to it, all games which Rare should easily be beating.

And where did Rare get this huge reputation from? It's not like their SNES games were better than anything Nintendo had to offer, and only a select few of their N64 outing were decent enough to buy.

I love Rare, But SFA has led me to believe they are going down to medocre.

lets hope that they pull something out of the hat soon to suggest otherwise.

Or not In my ont of view (I want nintendo to LIVE, dammit!)
Wed 21/05/03 at 18:38
Regular
> Dringo wrote:
> They still have high standards.
>
> I have high standards - My standard is an 'A'.
>
> Do i always reach it?
>
> No.
>
> Do I often reach it?
>
> No

Well aiming to reach AAA standards increases the likliehood of a classic game. They are still better than most developers.
Wed 21/05/03 at 18:31
Regular
"Festivus!"
Dringo wrote:
> They still have high standards.

I have high standards - My standard is an 'A'.

Do i always reach it?

No.

Do I often reach it?

No
Wed 21/05/03 at 18:28
Regular
> Dringo wrote:
> As long as it retains the Perfect Dark "Feel" it'll be
> fine.
>
> I thought Starfox would retain the feel of the N64 platform titles
> that they released (Banjo etc...), but I was let down.

I didn't, I expected a cross between Jet Force Gemini and Zelda. I thought it was okay but not as good as either of those titles. It isn't a platformer and besides Rare's platform abilities died after Banjo, DK 64 and BT was just downright awful.

> I do believe they are going downhill.

They still have high standards.
Wed 21/05/03 at 18:27
Regular
"Festivus!"
Dringo wrote:
> As long as it retains the Perfect Dark "Feel" it'll be fine.

I thought Starfox would retain the feel of the N64 platform titles that they released (Banjo etc...), but I was let down.

I do believe they are going downhill.
Wed 21/05/03 at 18:24
Regular
As long as it retains the Perfect Dark "Feel" it'll be fine.
Wed 21/05/03 at 18:24
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> I am of Perfect Dark 0 and I'm dissapointed by Conker live and
> uncut.

I don't even want to see what they decide to do with the Perfect Dark series.

The new Joanna look would be good if it was a completly new character and game, but it really is not how she's supposed to look. I know everyone said the same about Zelda and look how that turned out, but I have more faith in Miyamoto to know what he's doing strangely enough.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.