GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"GTA3 (a complaint)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/11/01 at 19:35
Regular
I am currently crying at the sight of something on the screen in front of me.

GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 (RATED 18)
Released 30/3
For PC CD Rom

That's about 5 months away. Five months of hurt. This is a game I really really want but won't be able to play as I have no PS2.

As a PC CD Rom owner I have witnessed all my favourite games being released on my platform but this time they have got me where it hurts.

I know how it feels now. I know how it feels to have a game you want more than anything dangled in front of your nose. If it was one month maybe I would be able to make it through. But five months is taking the mickey.

Yet everywhere I go I'm hearing only praise for GTA3. I even got a PS2 mag (despite having no PS2) just to see a GTA3 review. On the train going home I heard a group of people talking about their drive by shootings and I'm come home and all I hear on this board is GTA3 is amazing!

Yet there seems no reason for me to get a PS2. If I get one the only game I will probably want is GTA3. It's not worth it. So in effect I am paying around £200 just for this game. Is it worth it I'm not sure.

All I do know is I am being driven insane by not being able to play this game. Last night I even dreamt about buying a Playstation 2 for some reason. No idea why but if I recall it correctly I was looking at different PS2 deals and then I woke up. I seem to remember GTA3 and a PS2 were 210 pounds. Very strange I know.

But these release dates! Why do they release them in such a way. It seems unfair. When GTA3 was out on the PS2 I automatically assumed it was on the PC or would soon be out but it's far from either.

Release dates suck, I'm sure I'll either get a PS2 or wait till March to play the game but I'm not happy. That is my only complaint.

It may look like a good game, and may be a good game but as long as it's not in my hands and playable I will hate it.
Enough said I think.
Fri 02/11/01 at 19:35
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I am currently crying at the sight of something on the screen in front of me.

GRAND THEFT AUTO 3 (RATED 18)
Released 30/3
For PC CD Rom

That's about 5 months away. Five months of hurt. This is a game I really really want but won't be able to play as I have no PS2.

As a PC CD Rom owner I have witnessed all my favourite games being released on my platform but this time they have got me where it hurts.

I know how it feels now. I know how it feels to have a game you want more than anything dangled in front of your nose. If it was one month maybe I would be able to make it through. But five months is taking the mickey.

Yet everywhere I go I'm hearing only praise for GTA3. I even got a PS2 mag (despite having no PS2) just to see a GTA3 review. On the train going home I heard a group of people talking about their drive by shootings and I'm come home and all I hear on this board is GTA3 is amazing!

Yet there seems no reason for me to get a PS2. If I get one the only game I will probably want is GTA3. It's not worth it. So in effect I am paying around £200 just for this game. Is it worth it I'm not sure.

All I do know is I am being driven insane by not being able to play this game. Last night I even dreamt about buying a Playstation 2 for some reason. No idea why but if I recall it correctly I was looking at different PS2 deals and then I woke up. I seem to remember GTA3 and a PS2 were 210 pounds. Very strange I know.

But these release dates! Why do they release them in such a way. It seems unfair. When GTA3 was out on the PS2 I automatically assumed it was on the PC or would soon be out but it's far from either.

Release dates suck, I'm sure I'll either get a PS2 or wait till March to play the game but I'm not happy. That is my only complaint.

It may look like a good game, and may be a good game but as long as it's not in my hands and playable I will hate it.
Enough said I think.
Fri 02/11/01 at 19:46
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
Rakuga, you must be joking! When I read that, I nearly passed out. I was expecting to pop down to town tomorrow and find it there, but it won't be, for an entire 5 months! This is really hisheartening news to PC fans. But, the question is, why such the big wait?
Fri 02/11/01 at 19:54
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Gaming Guy wrote:
> Rakuga, you must be joking! When I read that, I nearly passed out. I was
> expecting to pop down to town tomorrow and find it there, but it won't be, for
> an entire 5 months! This is really hisheartening news to PC fans. But, the
> question is, why such the big wait?

I wish it was a joke... I really do. :/
Ah well I've got Yuris Revenge in the meantime.
Fri 02/11/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Probably the same reason it took so long for the PS2 to get versions of Half-Life, Deus Ex, NOLF, etc...

The original GTA was a Playstation title after all?
Fri 02/11/01 at 20:06
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Presuming Ed wrote:
> Probably the same reason it took so long for the PS2 to get versions of
> Half-Life, Deus Ex, NOLF, etc...

The original GTA was a Playstation title
> after all?

I thought GTA 1 was originally for PC, and got converted to PSX soon after the PC version. Am I mistaken?
Fri 02/11/01 at 20:11
Regular
"Being Ignorant"
That's the thing about the industry, release dates! They always set a ridiculous release date to what they think will suit our needs, not!

Why don't developers just make the game before announcing its release? Why was the word 'release' ever invented? These are just some of the insane thoughts running riot in our heads all because of game-teasing developers.

I remember the days when the Mega Drive and SNES were busy competing with each other, no one bothered with release dates if I recall correctly. You would just instantly be notified by shops of a certain game release and that was that. Although it wasn't really a concern at the early stages, this became very annoying. No one knew when to save up for a particular game, which they knew they would like if they had some idea of its release.
Such popular titles like the Mortal Kombat series and especially Mario were eagerly anticipated. Developers knew that gaming fans would find it much more appropriate to notify the public of a certain release so they could know what's happening in the industry. But whilst doing this they didn't know the crude pain that came along with their thoughtful idea. The pain of waiting.

We've all got the slight touch of impatience in our bodies, which can't be helped. This feature seems to let loose when the craze of gaming sets in. All those who love games experience this very annoying feature. But there's nothing we can do about it, but live with it. Most of us have adapted to this matter of waiting because in the end it turns out worth the wait. Beware, this isn't always the case with games though, look at the eagerly anticipated The Bouncer for the PS2. It was already mentioned for a PS2 release at the UK launch of the PS2, and looked how it turned out. We were all promised Matrix-style graphics and fantastic gameplay, all we got were fuzzy graphics and rubbish game physics. Games like this give us this attitude to waiting for a game release.Most of the time though, we do receive worth-the-wait games like GT3, GTA3 etc.

Well, with a PC version of the fantastic GTA3 due for arrival next year I can simply tell you now that its definitely going to be worth your while. If it's anything like the PS2 version, trust me and wait!!!

I don't really like waiting for games, especially being teased by reviews/previews but that's just the way life is. Look on the bright side! If release dates weren't available to us we'll all be deceived by nature thinking that no better games are due for release when they obviously are. My advice to you would be to get on with other games to pass time, and don't let this worrying fact get you down.

Just wait...
Fri 02/11/01 at 20:36
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Sibs wrote:
I thought GTA 1 was originally for
> PC, and got converted to PSX soon after the PC version. Am I mistaken?

I thought that too...
Fri 02/11/01 at 20:38
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
Look on the bright side! If release dates weren't
> available to us we'll all be deceived by nature thinking that no better games
> are due for release when they obviously are.

I like this. I wasn't expecting Max Payne till it came out and I was amazing and astounded. Great game made even better by no anticipation. Suprise is great.
Fri 02/11/01 at 21:49
Rakuga wrote:
> Sibs wrote:
I thought GTA 1 was originally for
> PC, and got converted to
> PSX soon after the PC version. Am I mistaken?

I thought that too...

yeh it was i remember it being on GMTV on ITV one morning and they were showing you how bad the game was
Fri 02/11/01 at 22:44
Regular
"Fear my wrath..."
I suppose GMTV were showing all the killing of pedestrians and showing how "bad" it was and were warning parents not to allow their children to play this game.

But the fact is it's only "bad" because it's controversial. How many other games do you know where you get money for running people over, shooting people, running away from the cops? Not many and that's why the Grand Theft Auto is the best there is. It's the only game which has had the guts to step the barrier into the crime world and give us an amazing crime simulation.

It's not real but it's fun. GTA1 and 2 were both great fun. Nothing was more exciting then engaging in this crime world and blowing things up, causing massacres, running people over. I remember first playing GTA and playing it hours on end. I didn't bother with my objectives instead I drove around running people over. I don't care if it's 'controversial' or 'morally wrong' the fact is it isn't real.

It provides me with an experience I don't want to mimic in real life. I'm not going to go out and run people in the real world as I do in the game. I don't want to get in a car and drive down the streets causing the death of some poor chap, cause much distress to his family and end up in jail with a life sentence. I can do that again and again in this game with no worries.

And when I finally get this game (and I will in some form or the other) I'm sure someone will comment on how violent my game is and be shocked but this is what we play. It may look bad but it's great fun. We can separate fun from our morals and I don't consider killing things on screen as morally wrong.

GTA 3 is a crime simulator and some people may not like it. I don't ask them to like it I just ask for them to accept that I like this kind of game.

Just one thing I suggest you don't do from experience. Today I was on a train and a group of year 10s were discussing the game quite loudly and talking about "killing prostitutes" and how they are going to "take out a bank tonight" and "run over a few people" and do a few "drive by shootings". Naturally a few old people right next to them looked shocked. I wouldn't suggest doing that not unless you want to come off the train with policemen surrounding you or some old people getting scared. Make sure you think before you open your mouth!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.