GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another month of Next Gen sales..."

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 20/04/07 at 15:26
"possibly impossible"
...another month on top for the Wii in the US.

The Wii was selling 259,000 units. Xbox 360 U.S. unit sales were
199,000 in March and Sony's PlayStation 3 unit sales of 130,000. PlayStation 2 is still seeing strong sales with 280,000 units. Still ahead of the Xbox 360.

So PS3 is picking up a bit, but still underperforming against the 360 and Wii. Many people predict the Wii sales will slow once the 'gimmick' dies out, but if new games continue to use the Wii Remote in inventive ways and Nintendo keep appealing to new audiences, it should be able to hold its own, even if it slips out of first place. However, there doesn't seen to be any danger of this at present.

The PS3 will no doubt pick up sales once Sony get their act together and release some decent exclusive titles (or drop the price of the console a bit more).
Sat 21/04/07 at 00:25
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Damn Japanese, buy more 360's will ya, i want more RPG's on the system
Sat 21/04/07 at 00:06
Regular
"Captain to you."
Japanese figures for this week if anyone is interested, in brackets is the figure for last week to compare.

* Nintendo DS Lite - 133,325 (110,845)
* Wii - 75,759 (52,583)
* PSP - 24,850 (31,503)
* PlayStation 2 - 12,872 (14,234)
* PLAYSTATION 3- 11,948 (14,520)
* Xbox 360 - 2,900 (2,963)
* Game Boy Advance SP - 654 (833)
* Game Boy micro - 617 (512)
Fri 20/04/07 at 23:02
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Hedfix wrote:
> Thing is: 800 points is about a weeks pocket money to a lot of
> kids so I really can't see the problem: if you don't want it
> then don't pay for it.

Yea that's fine as long as the content doesn't affect anything but when it's new maps or something and you try to go online but can't because you don't have that content that others are using, that's when it becomes a pain.
Fri 20/04/07 at 17:15
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
pb wrote:
> The PS3 will no doubt pick up sales once Sony get their act
> together

This was the statement that made me want to reply to this thread in the first place but I went off on a tangent before I'd even started.

This statement sums up the console wars for me, because Sony, to me at least, somehow lost the plot about the same time images appeared of that banana-shaped-shuriken-like control pad and people were able to photoshop early PS3 prototypes to look like grilled sandwich makers. I think Sony's online strategy disintegrated with the launch of SOCOM 2 - a release it, fix it later strategy, and they basically lost Europe by launching so late here.

"I can't see them getting their act together until it's too late." was what I wanted to reply, but then I got this fleeting image of a Spidey-suit and any thought of posting something sensible just... vanished. Sorry.
Fri 20/04/07 at 17:14
Regular
"8==="
Kawada wrote:
> My money's on EA or Ubisoft

Amazingly EA have been ok so far, they've charged for cheats and charged a pittance for extra maps. So so far they're behaving themselves (no doubt MS sets pricing limits aswell as minimum's).

Ubi are also doing well, considering how much they wanted for the GRAW content the Rainbow download was well-priced (only 400 points difference but 3 figures looks SO much better than 4!)

Currently the problem is with Guitar Hero's song packs, people don't want to pay 500 points per pack and sites are agreeing that it's too much (although some seem to agree with every point complaint - just check IGN's 360 mailbag for this week).

But then again the exchange rate for MS points is different in the US so they are paying more than we are I believe ($10 = 800 points as opposed to 6/7 quid over here).

Thing is: 800 points is about a weeks pocket money to a lot of kids so I really can't see the problem: if you don't want it then don't pay for it.

People assume it should have been in the game beforehand but when you've got a sizeable game in the first place there really isn't anything to complain about if you ask me.

Plus some companies work on this extra content when the game's a success, so there needs to be a charge to make it worth the companies time putting manpower into the extra content (unless you've made huge piles of cash like Epic and wnat to give something back to the fans same as Bizarre for that matter).
Fri 20/04/07 at 17:07
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
My money's on EA or Ubisoft
Fri 20/04/07 at 17:05
Regular
"8==="
Well if Sony can somehow dish out tons of free stuff online it'll make MS's charges a bit irksome along with some of the content downloads. They're not at silly prices yet but when you hear that Epic wanted to give maps away for free and Geometry Wars was going to be given away free by Bizarre Creations it gives you some food for thought.

At the moment I can't see the problem but companies are greedy and one of them will over-step the mark at somepoint.

MS are clearly winning but there's still a lot of potential for them to make some serious mistakes that will allow Sony to capitalise on free content and (ironically) stable hardware among other things.
Fri 20/04/07 at 16:59
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> FantasyMeister wrote:
>
> But my highly tuned 'Gamey-sense' (bit like Spidey-sense, it's
> just I don't have to wear a red and blue body suit to use it)
> tells me that MicroSoft have won this generation.
>
> Depends when this generation offically ends for Sony really
> doesn't it?

My Gamey-sense says that no matter when this generation ends, MicroSoft will have won it. My Gamey-sense isn't always right though. Unlike FM's crystal ball©, which has never been proved wrong except for that time I looked into it and saw a time when it was proved wrong. But we won't mention that now.
Fri 20/04/07 at 16:54
Regular
"8==="
FantasyMeister wrote:
>
> But my highly tuned 'Gamey-sense' (bit like Spidey-sense, it's
> just I don't have to wear a red and blue body suit to use it)
> tells me that MicroSoft have won this generation.

Depends when this generation offically ends for Sony really doesn't it?

The PS3 is built to go on and on to a point where the PS2 is now. It's an interesting approach. Plus if you factor the PS2 sales into this generation aswell then Sony are sitting pretty.
Fri 20/04/07 at 16:50
Regular
Mine was better. If Sony had me doing their advertising I'd have saved them a fortune by knocking off three letters everytime they had to print that slogan and of course drastically reduced their air-time bill. In the 0.253 seconds saved by missing out the 'the' I could have replaced it with their complete launch lineup for the PS3.

Anyhow, back to figures, I've yet to see a reliable source of sales data because they all add up sales differently. So we can spout sales figures all day and they'll still give us no idea of what's actually going on.

But my highly tuned 'Gamey-sense' (bit like Spidey-sense, it's just I don't have to wear a red and blue body suit to use it) tells me that MicroSoft have won this generation.

FM's crystal ball© reveals that the next generation of consoles will start launching in 2011. (2013 if you're a Sony fan in Europe).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.