GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario the Hedgehog"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 02/11/01 at 15:50
Regular
Are 2D Platformers fundementally better than 3D platformers?

Despite Shigsys Mario64, pretty much reinventing the platformer in 3D... can it be that 2D platformers are essentailly more fun to play than 3D platformers?

Platformers were, after all, first developed in 2D... and although, its probably best to forget Oceans cookie cutter platformers of the late eighties, early ninites, 3D platformers are a new look on an old idea rather than a new 3D game genre themselves.

It has been discovered, largly through trial and error, that a lot of features, that are, in 2D platformers staple actions, just dont work in a 3D environment... and so 3D platformers tend to be, more often than not limited, to a much more basic, limited range of gameplay action, which can make them more reptitive than 2D can be.

Although, 3D platformers do provide a lot more potential than 2D platformers... They provide a 'complete' evironment to work within, as opposed to left-right (and sometimes through doors to other left-right' envirnments.

However, complete environmens do seem to lend themselves to much more realistic design requirements... The surreal and often abstract gaming concepts often applied to 2D platformers for some reason, whether asthetically, dimensionally, or whatever, just dont work within a £D environment, maybe we just expect things to work in a certain way much more in 3D than 2D?

Which is the best way forward? To mix 2D and 3D? Develop each as a seperate game style? ...

Maybe Nintendo are onto something with the hand drawn cell look?

Given the power of todays and future systems, It seems foolish to resign ourselves to older design styles because of our lack of imagination...
Mon 05/11/01 at 16:54
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
LordGardnerMan wrote:
> To tell the truth, I prefer 3D platformers...look at, say, the new Rayman
> compared to the old ( a bad example, both were crap in my opinion, but I can't
> think of anything else)

But why do you prefer 3D over 2D platformers?

What is it about them that you prefer?
Sun 04/11/01 at 18:17
To tell the truth, I prefer 3D platformers...look at, say, the new Rayman compared to the old ( a bad example, both were crap in my opinion, but I can't think of anything else)
Sun 04/11/01 at 17:56
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Purely Fiction wrote:
> I don't like platformers. I like Final Fantasy and RPG's. Right now I'm
> downloading a SNES and a NES emulators.

ok?
Sun 04/11/01 at 15:30
I don't like platformers. I like Final Fantasy and RPG's. Right now I'm downloading a SNES and a NES emulators.
Sun 04/11/01 at 14:44
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Armatige Shanks wrote:
>(although, I'm a fairly irrenguar user)

irregular even!
Sun 04/11/01 at 14:43
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Gˆm3ßgI_IÆI_I wrote:
> Sorry, missed out Meka. He is still making great posts that as usual get
> ignored.....thats probably why he isn't here as often anymore. But obviously it
> oculd just be because he has been getting busier.

Ive noticed that the longer posts dont really get any replies...

Its generally the quick responce posts that garner the most interest?

By the way Armatige, whats
> your MSN id?

Its [email protected]

(although, I'm a fairly irrenguar user)
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:39
Regular
Sorry, missed out Meka. He is still making great posts that as usual get ignored.....thats probably why he isn't here as often anymore. But obviously it oculd just be because he has been getting busier.

By the way Armatige, whats your MSN id?
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:37
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:

I wrote this topic on 3:50PM Friday afternoon... and it wasnt even
> half way down the page today when I replied to your post... it is quiet indeed!
> :)

What happened?

Too be honest, "nothing" happened.....thats the problem. People have just stopped posting as they have grown tired of the place. All the notables aren't here much and the place is full to the brim with new members.

er-no has been hypnotised by Legend of Mir.

Same with Fantasymeister I think.

Sniper has been playing Tactical Ops regularily with me and Bonus.

Grix has just got annoyed with the place and spends more or less all of his time doing 3d modeling.

Sheepy has to pay stupid prices for his internet now.

Ant is still up to his usual, but even he has begun to question the forums.

Pb has just returned and seems to be okay which is damn good as he is one of the best posters we have left.

Wookiee is still here form time to time, but not as often as I would like him to be.

A lot of the regulars are beginning to tire of the forums. Now I think this is mainly to do with everyone taking the place too seriously. All we care about now is the future and not about having fun while talking about the games were all waiting to play. I remember that first day I came on here as MJswerve, I had trouble tearing myself away form here.....now I don't have any trouble at all. Easy as pie you could say.

There just isn't anything new to post in.....everything has been done before, everything is old hat. The thing is, I believe that once the Gamecube and x-box find their way over to our shores this place will be awakened again. I mean, take GTA3 for example. One games caused quite a stir on here, but now I think more people have taken to playing it, instead of talking to it.

MJ
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:24
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
Gˆm3ßgI_IÆI_I wrote:
Quiet? Yep, much more quiet, nearly all the regular posters
> are now infrequent visitors which is a damn shame.

I wrote this topic on 3:50PM Friday afternoon... and it wasnt even half way down the page today when I replied to your post... it is quiet indeed! :)

What happened?
Sun 04/11/01 at 13:13
Regular
Armatige Shanks wrote:

lol... I dunno, I thought I would try something different?

(Is it
> me or are the forums a lot quieter than they used to be?)

Although, I tink
> you may be right? :P

Trying something different is always good mate :) I mean I change my name nearly every week. But I think people tend to realise who I am each time.

Quiet? Yep, much more quiet, nearly all the regular posters are now infrequent visitors which is a damn shame.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.