GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"AVG anti virus?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/06/10 at 09:28
Regular
Does anyone use AVG anti virus?

I ask as lately it has been asking me to shut down and restart my PC after updates which it has never done before in the last 12 years,. it just seemed unusual behaviour to me and bit suspect ?

All 4 other anti virus/malware programs say the PC is clear. spybot s&d, malware bites, adaware, emisoft,emisoft anti malware.

Also

Which anti virus program do you use and are you happy with it?
Sat 05/06/10 at 13:33
Regular
"I like turtles"
Dograt wrote:
> Thanks for the help everyone I think I may try a paid for one
> just undecided as which to get.

You could always try one of the trial versions to see how you get on with it on your system ?.Think most of them let you use the full program for about 30 days before you have to buy a subscription.

EDIT : Link to 30 day full trial versions of all ESET software.I tried it via this method then bought the licence from Freeola.You could always download it and then scan your system,see if it finds anything ?.Like I said think most of the other mentioned companies offer the same.

Hope this helps :)
Sat 05/06/10 at 10:35
Regular
Thanks for the help everyone I think I may try a paid for one just undecided as which to get.

Some good stuff to think about, cheers
Sat 05/06/10 at 07:14
Regular
I would have to agree that the paid version should be better than the free version other wise why buy it? I found the same problem with AVG that it never picked up on a virus (Free version) but the paid version did, I now use Avast paid version and it is amazing. I think you need to rememeber when complaining about free software that in fact it is FREE, so will only give you a very basic level of cover, if you want better protection, then you really should pay for the upgrade - it is well worth it in the long run - and lets face it, its not really that expensive.

Digi.
Fri 04/06/10 at 23:12
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
pete_21 wrote:
> A friend of mine had a virus on their PC and AVG did not detect
> it.They downloaded the trial version of ESET and that not only
> detected it but also successfully removed the threat.They still
> didn't buy it though !.The only thing AVG detected when I used it
> was Slysoft's AnyDVD HD which although I kept telling the program
> it was not a virus it always seemed to know better :S

My only disagreement with the comments regarding AVG is that it is the free anti-virus version that people are obviously quoting.

I am suggesting the AVG Internet Security suite, for which a licence is required and which contains a whole raft of additional security features not found within the free version.

My dismay with ESET was that they could not solve a problem within v4 regarding its integration with Windows Mail or Windows Live when using Vista64. I had no problems with my licenced version for XP but shed loads of problems with v4 and Vista64.....hence my decision to change 'camps' and buy a licence for AVG Internet Security. It's fast, unobtrusive, updates without any user intervention and has proved to be far more reliable than the free version will ever be :¬)

AVG Internet Security
Fri 04/06/10 at 22:34
Regular
"I like turtles"
A friend of mine had a virus on their PC and AVG did not detect it.They downloaded the trial version of ESET and that not only detected it but also successfully removed the threat.They still didn't buy it though !.The only thing AVG detected when I used it was Slysoft's AnyDVD HD which although I kept telling the program it was not a virus it always seemed to know better :S
Fri 04/06/10 at 13:52
Regular
I use Security Essentials, AVG and Avira. (Avira has found and blocked the most)

I might consider buying some secuirty software in the future, any suggestions? (Definitely not Norton or McAfee)
Fri 04/06/10 at 08:26
Regular
"@optometrytweet"
I used to use it but have now switched to Microsoft's Security Essentials. It's brilliant in my opinion - very quick and doesn't seem to interfere with me unless I haven't updated in a few days (I'm not always connected to the net, but it does update automatically) or if I indeed have an infection.

Worth a look as it is a free one!
Fri 04/06/10 at 06:56
Regular
Well I use Avast home free edition after many years of using AVG, I stopped using AVG as it became un reliable, and slow. Avast is slick dosent appear to slow down my PCs (Windows 7) and gets good reveiws on the net - simple to install and just gets on with the job

Digi
Thu 03/06/10 at 21:41
Regular
"I like turtles"
ESET works brill for me,never had a problem with it.
Thu 03/06/10 at 19:13
Regular
"Feather edged ..."
Dograt wrote:
> Does anyone use AVG anti virus?
>
> I ask as lately it has been asking me to shut down and restart
> my PC after updates which it has never done before in the last 12
> years,. it just seemed unusual behaviour to me and bit suspect
> ?
>
>
> All 4 other anti virus/malware programs say the PC is clear.
> spybot s&d, malware bites, adaware, emisoft,emisoft anti
> malware.
>
> Also
>
> Which anti virus program do you use and are you happy with it?

Hi Dograt.....my penny worth ha ha

Used AVG Free on numerous machines over the years and never had any problems or 'misses'. Have used ESET v3 and v4 on XP and Vista.

ESET v3 worked fine on XP and it has just asked for renewal. Problems galore with ESET v4 and Vista64....so much so that it still remains an unsolved problem with ESET and me.

So reinstalled AVG and upgraded to AVG Internet Security, slightly less for a years licence than ESET and it works far better with Vista64 - infact no problems. Really happy with it - cannot recommend ESET at all.

AVG Internet Security did require a re-start yesterday - an unusual event but necessary....no problems to report so far.

Hope this helps :-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.