GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Me and my Gamecube"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 25/05/03 at 15:23
Regular
Well, i've owned the Nintendo Gamecube for nearly 3 months now (its our anniversary on June 1st) and i'd like to express my thoughts on the console in this relativly pointless topic. In fact don't even read this, i'm just gonna babble on about my experiances of having the console and what not.

I first became interested in the Gamecube about last November. Being a hardcore Xbox fan for sometime, I was shocked at my sudden change of heart but I wanted one so badly. So on March the 1st 2003 I traded some stuff in and purchased my Gamecube. And who'd of thought how good an Xbox and a Gamecube look next to each other...

Quite a few GC titles interest me, which is why I brought the console in the first place. Right now I own 4 Gamecube games, and here are the ratings i'd give em: -

Resident Evil - 9/10
Super Mario Sunshine - 9/10
Super Smash Bros Melee - 8/10
Pikmin - 6/10

Well, i'm not exactly loaded with cash so purchasing games can be difficult, but i'm semi-happy with the games I have now.

Resident Evil is scary, puzzling, full of atmosphere and holds some excellent eye candy! Definatly my fave GC game so far.

Super Mario Sunshine is decent I guess, but I think the "jet pack" thing was a bad idea, kinda turns it into a generic platformer. But still, Its a fun game to play at times, and frustrating at others....

Super Smash Bros Melee is really fun once you get into it, Loads of game options and stuff, I love it! I've never tried multiplayer mind, I go round to my mates houses to play multiplayer Halo (8 player) none of them are interested in the Gamecube.

Pikmin, Sigh, Used to be a really cool game at first, But i've just given up on it cause its so god damn GAY! The Pikmin get stuck behind something, attack things when you don't want them to, Or fall into the water for no reason. ITS SO ANNOYING! And its uber-patronising aswell. Has the ideas for a great game, but it makes me want to throw my Gamecube out the window.

Enough about the games, The console is extremely well designed! Its so small and sleek, I love it! It fits perfectly next to my mighty Xbox and brings some color into the area. The controller is pretty decent, The only annoying thing is the stupid Jingle at the start-up of the machine, still, It's all good.

In the near future I hope to pick up quite a few other Gamecube titles, Zelda, Metroid Prime and Burnout 2 ect ect.

I still think Nintendo had a poor E3, and their marketing of the console is poor..

So thats my thoughts of the Gamecube, Brilliant console, Brilliant Games, Brilliant Developer behind it.

I'll shut up now.
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:59
Regular
Hella long, if you wanna do all the side quests and stuff it'll last you ages.
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:52
Regular
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Surely you'll be able to choose other characters other than Master
> Chief?

I believe so yes.

I heard that you could choose to be one of the covenant in multiplayer battles, as well as cheifs of course. And I think they're including flying veichles in multiplayer aswell, Woohoo!!!

*anticipates Halo 2*

Anyway, This morning I was playing Pikmin....I deleted my other save file and started a fresh. Doing well I guess, on Day 6 and just entering the "forest Navel" area.

Ok, maybe I was a little wrong to rate the game so low, Its not the games fault, its my tolerance to annoying things. I like the game a bit more now, just not the Pikmin, they're gay.

Once I complete it I think i'll sell it. For ol' times sake.

Question - How long does the Wind waker last?
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:47
Regular
Ah, good old gamespy, they actually suck for counter-strike though.
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:44
Regular
For halo 1 can pc players and x-box players play 2gether??
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:43
Regular
Surely you'll be able to choose other characters other than Master Chief?

Oh and i'll be doing the same, i'll be whooping all you fools.

Mwhahahaahahahahhaa *swallows tongue and chokes to death*
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:36
Regular
While you will be playing Halo online I will be having a war with 15 other Master Chiefs on a huge battlefiled over Xbox LIVE.
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:20
Regular
Yep, while u'll be playing Halo 2 I'll be playing Halo 1

ONLINE! :p
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:17
Regular
Metroid takes a little while to get into, I enjoyed the ship bit but when I got down to the planet I found the first part a little dull. Give it time and it will soon get its grip on you, and you won't be able to stop playing.

Tis true though, Halo and Metroid Prime have very little in common. One's an adventure the others a balls out shooting game.
Mon 26/05/03 at 12:15
Regular
"Otaku"
Lipe wrote:
> Nice to hear a Halo fan who isn't a fanatic :D

Just you wait until HALO 2.....I've posted a set of links to the new movie of in game footage shown at E3 in the Xbox forum if anyone hasn't seen it yet, truly wonderful stuff. The Earth setting looks really good and is pretty believable, and the way so much moves around so smoothly, 'tis jaw dropping.

On a semi-related not, I went out and got Metroid Prime this morning and, though I've only played it for an hour or so, I'm a little disappointed by it. Can't get used to the control system, and having to scan things all the time is annoying, though the dash out of the exploding space station/ship at the end of the first part was good, as well as the big boss creature.

I can't see how people can compare it to Halo though, as it just isn't the same kind of game, a comparison isn't fair on either Halo or Metroid because both have their own strengths and appeal.

Too many games to play, too much coursework to finish, too few hours left.....
Mon 26/05/03 at 04:21
Regular
"everyone says it"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> You can skip the scene of him flying off you know.

You can skip most of the annoying things like that within the game!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.