GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube Hard Drive...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/10/01 at 12:41
Regular
...well sort of...

It seems like IBM has just announced an very interesting device for the GameCube.

The publication Genken Ascii has revealed that there will be portable IBM hard disk card for the Nintendo GameCube, which can be inserted into the NGC's high speed port.

The IBM card is about the size of a floppy disk with a max capacity seemingly of 1GB. The device can act as an expansion of A memory.

Hopefully the memory will get bigger as the years go on... but this is ceretainly good news for future 'Cubers... like me! :D

I'm not sure how it all works, because i'm no memory techspert, but it will be like a very small PS2 harddrive... but just a portable one that you can take round to your mates house...

Game
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:58
I wonder what uses they are planning for this memory card other than saves.
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:18
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
It's about the same size (physically) as a Mini-Disc... maybe even a 3‡" floppy, but it's all hidden away, so it's not big deal...

Game
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:31
Oh that's too big for just 1 GB. I demand my money back. Good thing I never paid any then.
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:55
Regular
"Back For Good"
game, you can use the 40gb hard drive for game saves :-)

I knew about the expansion slot on the gamecube but didn't expect anything so quick, just a gamecube version of the N64 expansion pack if you ask me:-)
Tue 30/10/01 at 17:09
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Nintendo planned this ages ago (probably), Sony (probably) must have copied them... just not in the same way...

Err....... :D
Tue 30/10/01 at 17:30
Regular
Beetlejuice wrote:
> But PC=work
Console=play

It's an image thing

I don't see coming on here (ukchatforums) as work!
Tue 30/10/01 at 18:00
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
I'd say the difference between a PS2 and an equally impressive PC is about £1000.
Especially if you want to play your PC on a 32" widescreen monitor....
Yes, yes, I know the lastest graphics cards can plug into your s-video slot. But I'm not going to drag my PC to the tele everytime I want to play.

i.e. PC's arn't a good choice if all you want to do is play games. Even if you have a PC already (as I do), the cost to keep it playing the latest software is rediculous. I'll stick to my PII laptop for work, and PS2 for games thanks.

Do you realise that the cost of the latest graphics cards is equal to a PS1 and almost the whole back library of games!!
Tue 30/10/01 at 18:38
Regular
"smile, it's free"
I disagree.

You can get a 600mhz processor now for under £50 - and equally cheap hard drives. The motherboard isn't that expensive. The only real outlay is the price for a decent monitor - maybe a couple of hundred.

I reckon you could build a decent PC for £400-500 without too much trouble.
Tue 30/10/01 at 18:55
Regular
"Back For Good"
Personally I don't think PC's are designed for games and they sure know how to suck all the fun out of it, high prices, the need to upgrade and the hassle with drivers,bugs,updates etc :-(

Plug and Play is actually a PC phrase but it's only a console that puts a meaning to it, mmm playing games in a computer chair on a monitor or sitting on a comfty sofa in full screen glory, now lets see :-)
Tue 30/10/01 at 19:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
So how come the PS2 version of Deux Ex is graphically superior?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.