GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube Hard Drive...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/10/01 at 12:41
Regular
...well sort of...

It seems like IBM has just announced an very interesting device for the GameCube.

The publication Genken Ascii has revealed that there will be portable IBM hard disk card for the Nintendo GameCube, which can be inserted into the NGC's high speed port.

The IBM card is about the size of a floppy disk with a max capacity seemingly of 1GB. The device can act as an expansion of A memory.

Hopefully the memory will get bigger as the years go on... but this is ceretainly good news for future 'Cubers... like me! :D

I'm not sure how it all works, because i'm no memory techspert, but it will be like a very small PS2 harddrive... but just a portable one that you can take round to your mates house...

Game
Tue 30/10/01 at 12:41
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
...well sort of...

It seems like IBM has just announced an very interesting device for the GameCube.

The publication Genken Ascii has revealed that there will be portable IBM hard disk card for the Nintendo GameCube, which can be inserted into the NGC's high speed port.

The IBM card is about the size of a floppy disk with a max capacity seemingly of 1GB. The device can act as an expansion of A memory.

Hopefully the memory will get bigger as the years go on... but this is ceretainly good news for future 'Cubers... like me! :D

I'm not sure how it all works, because i'm no memory techspert, but it will be like a very small PS2 harddrive... but just a portable one that you can take round to your mates house...

Game
Tue 30/10/01 at 12:45
Regular
"Not your monkey"
Brilliant! Any news on prices?
Tue 30/10/01 at 12:50
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Nope... sorry...

I'm still not sure if I know everything about the thing itself!

It might come free with a Rare/Nintendo online title but I wouldn't count on it...

I'd say the price of a game was fair... but that's me.

It does bring some great options to developers... they could release new characters with NOM on a GC disc and you could save the datas to the Hard Drive... the GC reads the HD at start-up and you have the character in the game...

The size might not be massive, but when you think it's almost the size of a game, you can't do too badly!

Hopefully, like i said, bigger capacity disks will arrive.
Tue 30/10/01 at 13:40
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
This is not a hard drive in the same way as the PS2's, because games will not be able to use it except as a rather large memory card.
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:06
Hahaha, see how the mighty PC tricks foolish consoles into being re-integrated. One day consoles will realise that they are merely smaller PCs with less capabilities. When you have a PS5 with hard drive, pentium processor, broadband internet, a nice operating system, plenty of software utilities as well as games (of course) then is it really going to be any different to owning a PC? Well there's maybe no mouse, so you can't do some types of games in such a good way. FPSs are good with a mouse. Oh and Keyboards to cover the many functions you can access. And people say that consoles will replace the PC, MUHUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:08
But PC=work
Console=play

It's an image thing
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:17
Exactly, see how they fool you! Of course PC is becoming more for possibility these days. Internet and all sorts are pushing the boundaries of communication and fun.
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:24
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
What's wrong with memory cards? They have to be cheaper than the drive, and hold plenty.
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:33
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Yeah, but compare 1GB to the measly (in comparison) 8MB of the PS2 card and you see where they're coming from.
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:53
What would we do with a GB of storage space, it's not like you're going to need to install games. I suppose you could get quite a lot of made up wrestlers and saved games on that though. So is it really true, and how big is this memory card?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.