GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gamecube Hard Drive...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 30/10/01 at 12:41
Regular
...well sort of...

It seems like IBM has just announced an very interesting device for the GameCube.

The publication Genken Ascii has revealed that there will be portable IBM hard disk card for the Nintendo GameCube, which can be inserted into the NGC's high speed port.

The IBM card is about the size of a floppy disk with a max capacity seemingly of 1GB. The device can act as an expansion of A memory.

Hopefully the memory will get bigger as the years go on... but this is ceretainly good news for future 'Cubers... like me! :D

I'm not sure how it all works, because i'm no memory techspert, but it will be like a very small PS2 harddrive... but just a portable one that you can take round to your mates house...

Game
Wed 31/10/01 at 13:25
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Mr. MicroDrive strikes again!

Amn't isn't a word!
Wed 31/10/01 at 13:20
Regular
IBM currently make a range of mini Hard Disks called Micro Drives. They range from about 300Mb upwards and start at around £200. These things are very sensitive and very power hungry, I'm not saying they are bad, because my MP3 player supports them, but they are much more expensive and not as useful as their compact flash card equivalent, although they do boast a much higher capacity.
Wed 31/10/01 at 11:49
Deus Ex is old and quite good at running on what could be called "low spec machines" these days. It ran okay on my PII 330MHz PC. The graphics card wasn't great either but Deus Ex doesn't really need it. Anyway, for £1200 you could get an:

Intel Pentium 4 1700 Mhz CPU
256 MB PC800 RDRAM
64 MB GeForce II MX 3D Graphics Card
40 GB U-DMA100 Hard Drive
Samsung DVD/CD-RW/CD-R/CD-ROM Combo Drive
56Kbps High Speed V90 Fax/Modem
Sound Blaster 1024 Voice Sound
Creative 200 Watt Subwoofer and 4 Surround Speakers
Microsoft Windows XP
Hutchinson EncyclopÊdia 2000
Lotus Smart Suite Millennium Edition
A Full Top 3D Game
20 Top Playable Game Demos
15" AOC 1024x768 Monitor (optional)

From Maxx PC at Special Reserve. Now games don't even use 700MHz yet which means my PC isn't out of date for games and the cheapest Maxx PC on the range has 1000MHz (for £699). I think if you spent £1200 on a PC it would last you for many years (in game terms).

The reason Deus Ex and Half-Life are "better than the original" is because the PS2 is newer but the games are older. If Deus Ex was made using the full 2000MHz of PCs today could you imagine how much better than both the original version and the PS2 version it could be? If you compare a PC game of today with a PS2 game of today the results are clear. PS2s can't keep up, they aren't designed to. They can remake old games with new technology as much as they like but that doesn't mean they have superior technology to today's PC Games. Why was Red Faction so happily accepted by PS2 gamers when it is extremely disappointing to PC gamers? Because the PC version could have been so much better but instead they just copied it directly across hoping that the success would also copy. The PC will always be superior to consoles in technology, the main advantages of consoles will always be their portability and their convenience. Anyway, games for consoles are made using PCs, so where would consoles be without them?
Wed 31/10/01 at 09:32
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
Crazy Taxi was released a year later on the PS2 after the Dreamcast. It wasn't any better. There are loads of examples. Double Dragon was released on the gameboy years after the arcade version - that certainly wasn't any better.

A year isn't going to make a game better....
Further development and/or increased technology will.
Wed 31/10/01 at 09:29
Regular
"Party like its 2005"
VenomByte wrote:
> I disagree.

You can get a 600mhz processor now for under £50 - and
> equally cheap hard drives. The motherboard isn't that expensive. The only real
> outlay is the price for a decent monitor - maybe a couple of hundred.

I
> reckon you could build a decent PC for £400-500 without too much trouble.

Are you saying that a PC built for £400-£500 could play Deus-Ex, Alien vs. Predator 2 etc.... Without slow down? Last time I checked a decent monitor cost that. The graphics card needed for the top games also costs around that too! Then you need the time to put the computer together. Then it's going to be 6x bigger than the x-box! No thanks.

PCs arn't as good as consoles for games, no arguement.
Tue 30/10/01 at 21:50
Regular
PC's are innefficient with their power.

The PSOne with 2Mb of RAM played games easily while the PC versions of these games required 32Mb minimum spec.

PC's aren't efficient when it comes to gaming, but their so powerful, it doesn't really matter.

Turbo, if Deus Ex was re-made for the PC for release a year after the PS2 release, the improvement over the PS2 version would be just as big as the PS2 version's improvement over the old PC version.
Tue 30/10/01 at 19:45
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
It being a year older makes no difference.
Tue 30/10/01 at 19:34
Regular
And it's a year older.
Tue 30/10/01 at 19:26
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Or maybe because today's console can do a lot more than a PC of the same or better specs because consoles are actually designed to play 3D games whereas PCs are almost completely averse to them.
Tue 30/10/01 at 19:19
Regular
Because it's a year older.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.