GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My GameCube analysis, as unbiased as possible"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/10/01 at 18:48
Regular
Now, armed with a copy of Edge my knowledge gained from you lot for months, I can finally write my analysis of Nintendoís GameCube. Warning, this post contains material that may shock you, namely me saying good things about Nintendo.

The games:

I have to say, although they may sound good (although not to my taste), I feel let down by Nintendo, especially after all the hype. The best game on the GameCube appears to be Super Monkey Ball, but thatís coming to the PS2 as well so it doesnít really count. Next then is Luigiís Mansion. Iíll deal with graphical standard later, but apart from that this game doesnít seem to be of Nintendo quality. Edge only gave it 8/10, same as they gave to SSX and TimeSplitters. That means itís a very good game but somehow, worse than expected. I agree itís a very novel idea and its come along in leaps and bounds since its E3 incarnation, but it still seems very repetitive, even with differences between rooms aside. Waverace likewise, good but expected more. Now, Zelda. Zelda Zelda Zelda. What can I say about Zelda? Ooh, well. Of course Iíd heard about its cel-shaded makeover and ěcartoonyî look. However, the only screenshots Iíd seen were Upwireís less than clear offerings. They could never prepare me for what I saw in Edge. I thought Fur Fighters was cartoony; this is an interactive loony tune! Donít get me wrong, Iím sure its an excellent game, its just Iím not sure how sensible the new look it is. I know for certain if I had a choice between a 128bit OOT and its current look, Iíd choose the former. I canít see any benefits to this at all; it must only succeed in putting off some gamers, mainly older gamers and particularly PlayStation defectors.

The graphics:

Screen shots on a monitor always look better than print, Iíve always known this. Seeing as Iíve only ever seen GC screenshots from the Internet and PS2 shots from magazines, I thought that currently the graphical standard of the GC was higher than the PS2, for now. Of course, graphics donít make games, but what I say in Edge was quote surprising. I can now honestly make a comparison between GC and PS2 graphics: Theyíre the same. Iíve seen absolutely nothing that hasnít already been equalled on the PS2, and that includes Resident Evil. Think about it: This latest incarnation features the same pre-rendered backgrounds of the original. Theyíve obviously got some sort of shadow map on them but nevertheless theyíre still static. Therefore, the GCís capacity of 6-12 million polys minus lighting is being focused almost entirely on character models so naturally it looks stunning. Although it is without a doubt the best looking game Iíve ever seen itís not technically brilliant and nothing that the PS2 or Xbox are incapable of. Other games Iíve seen are Luigiís Mansion and Pikmin, which both feature decent character models and nice textures, but not fantastic lighting effects. Monkey Ball likewise, SMB:M I havenít seen and Waverace I have to see in action.

My reaction:

As you know Iíve been a bit sceptical of the GameCube. Iíve always been unimpressed and Iím still unimpressed. Nothingís changed really. Iím not saying itís not good, it just doesnít hold the same wow factor the PS2 has for me. Iíve never liked (most of) Nintendoís games and from future prospects I doubt I ever will. I can see how it will appeal to some but not to me. In my eyes, Nintendo have completely the wrong attitude, but then people have said the same of the PS2. I guess, as always, itís down to personal preference. If a Ninty and a Sonyphile both said "My console's better than yours" they'd both be right because from both their points of view, both their consoles are better.

And with that, Iíll finish.
Mon 29/10/01 at 19:56
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
LOL
Mon 29/10/01 at 19:14
Regular
"You've upset me"
Turbonutter wrote:
> I feel dirty, so dirty... Can't clean it off... Maybe sandpaper would do it...

Maybe a sandpaper coated, rectul thermometer would help ;-D
Mon 29/10/01 at 19:12
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
I feel dirty, so dirty... Can't clean it off... Maybe sandpaper would do it...
Mon 29/10/01 at 19:08
Ice Blaster wrote:
> Un-biased? Yer right!!

"As un-biased as possible" is what he said.

And I think he's succeeded! I'd call it; "openly biased", he's actually stated it as his opinion rather than hardcore fact!

Turbo, I never knew you had it in you! :-)
Mon 29/10/01 at 19:00
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
WolfHound wrote:
> Bravo. Well said.

*falls over dead*
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:59
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Oh, thanks Grix. I think...
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:57
Regular
"Nasty Fat Hobbit!"
Bravo. Well said. Don't agree with everthing, but that's me.
And don't go by the write ups of the non-spaectacular Japanese release. Instead look at Edge's upcoming report (Probably 2 issues time) on the Gamecube release in America with a high amount of quality games, in particular- Rogue Leader and of course the console selling out in 4 minutes on on-line preorders. Read Edge then.
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:56
Regular
On the note of the Zelda game going cel shaded... I'd buy Zelda no matter what the graphics are like, but because of my fasination with landscapes, I would have prefered the life like version to have been made, because that's the way design in my head works.

I've got an essay on design that I've got to write sometime, concerning this.

Nice post though... I was expecting just "It's crap." when I clicked on the topic header. :0)
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:53
Regular
"Back in black"
Un-biased? Yer right!!
Mon 29/10/01 at 18:48
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Now, armed with a copy of Edge my knowledge gained from you lot for months, I can finally write my analysis of Nintendoís GameCube. Warning, this post contains material that may shock you, namely me saying good things about Nintendo.

The games:

I have to say, although they may sound good (although not to my taste), I feel let down by Nintendo, especially after all the hype. The best game on the GameCube appears to be Super Monkey Ball, but thatís coming to the PS2 as well so it doesnít really count. Next then is Luigiís Mansion. Iíll deal with graphical standard later, but apart from that this game doesnít seem to be of Nintendo quality. Edge only gave it 8/10, same as they gave to SSX and TimeSplitters. That means itís a very good game but somehow, worse than expected. I agree itís a very novel idea and its come along in leaps and bounds since its E3 incarnation, but it still seems very repetitive, even with differences between rooms aside. Waverace likewise, good but expected more. Now, Zelda. Zelda Zelda Zelda. What can I say about Zelda? Ooh, well. Of course Iíd heard about its cel-shaded makeover and ěcartoonyî look. However, the only screenshots Iíd seen were Upwireís less than clear offerings. They could never prepare me for what I saw in Edge. I thought Fur Fighters was cartoony; this is an interactive loony tune! Donít get me wrong, Iím sure its an excellent game, its just Iím not sure how sensible the new look it is. I know for certain if I had a choice between a 128bit OOT and its current look, Iíd choose the former. I canít see any benefits to this at all; it must only succeed in putting off some gamers, mainly older gamers and particularly PlayStation defectors.

The graphics:

Screen shots on a monitor always look better than print, Iíve always known this. Seeing as Iíve only ever seen GC screenshots from the Internet and PS2 shots from magazines, I thought that currently the graphical standard of the GC was higher than the PS2, for now. Of course, graphics donít make games, but what I say in Edge was quote surprising. I can now honestly make a comparison between GC and PS2 graphics: Theyíre the same. Iíve seen absolutely nothing that hasnít already been equalled on the PS2, and that includes Resident Evil. Think about it: This latest incarnation features the same pre-rendered backgrounds of the original. Theyíve obviously got some sort of shadow map on them but nevertheless theyíre still static. Therefore, the GCís capacity of 6-12 million polys minus lighting is being focused almost entirely on character models so naturally it looks stunning. Although it is without a doubt the best looking game Iíve ever seen itís not technically brilliant and nothing that the PS2 or Xbox are incapable of. Other games Iíve seen are Luigiís Mansion and Pikmin, which both feature decent character models and nice textures, but not fantastic lighting effects. Monkey Ball likewise, SMB:M I havenít seen and Waverace I have to see in action.

My reaction:

As you know Iíve been a bit sceptical of the GameCube. Iíve always been unimpressed and Iím still unimpressed. Nothingís changed really. Iím not saying itís not good, it just doesnít hold the same wow factor the PS2 has for me. Iíve never liked (most of) Nintendoís games and from future prospects I doubt I ever will. I can see how it will appeal to some but not to me. In my eyes, Nintendo have completely the wrong attitude, but then people have said the same of the PS2. I guess, as always, itís down to personal preference. If a Ninty and a Sonyphile both said "My console's better than yours" they'd both be right because from both their points of view, both their consoles are better.

And with that, Iíll finish.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.