GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My GameCube analysis, as unbiased as possible"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/10/01 at 18:48
Regular
Now, armed with a copy of Edge my knowledge gained from you lot for months, I can finally write my analysis of Nintendoís GameCube. Warning, this post contains material that may shock you, namely me saying good things about Nintendo.

The games:

I have to say, although they may sound good (although not to my taste), I feel let down by Nintendo, especially after all the hype. The best game on the GameCube appears to be Super Monkey Ball, but thatís coming to the PS2 as well so it doesnít really count. Next then is Luigiís Mansion. Iíll deal with graphical standard later, but apart from that this game doesnít seem to be of Nintendo quality. Edge only gave it 8/10, same as they gave to SSX and TimeSplitters. That means itís a very good game but somehow, worse than expected. I agree itís a very novel idea and its come along in leaps and bounds since its E3 incarnation, but it still seems very repetitive, even with differences between rooms aside. Waverace likewise, good but expected more. Now, Zelda. Zelda Zelda Zelda. What can I say about Zelda? Ooh, well. Of course Iíd heard about its cel-shaded makeover and ěcartoonyî look. However, the only screenshots Iíd seen were Upwireís less than clear offerings. They could never prepare me for what I saw in Edge. I thought Fur Fighters was cartoony; this is an interactive loony tune! Donít get me wrong, Iím sure its an excellent game, its just Iím not sure how sensible the new look it is. I know for certain if I had a choice between a 128bit OOT and its current look, Iíd choose the former. I canít see any benefits to this at all; it must only succeed in putting off some gamers, mainly older gamers and particularly PlayStation defectors.

The graphics:

Screen shots on a monitor always look better than print, Iíve always known this. Seeing as Iíve only ever seen GC screenshots from the Internet and PS2 shots from magazines, I thought that currently the graphical standard of the GC was higher than the PS2, for now. Of course, graphics donít make games, but what I say in Edge was quote surprising. I can now honestly make a comparison between GC and PS2 graphics: Theyíre the same. Iíve seen absolutely nothing that hasnít already been equalled on the PS2, and that includes Resident Evil. Think about it: This latest incarnation features the same pre-rendered backgrounds of the original. Theyíve obviously got some sort of shadow map on them but nevertheless theyíre still static. Therefore, the GCís capacity of 6-12 million polys minus lighting is being focused almost entirely on character models so naturally it looks stunning. Although it is without a doubt the best looking game Iíve ever seen itís not technically brilliant and nothing that the PS2 or Xbox are incapable of. Other games Iíve seen are Luigiís Mansion and Pikmin, which both feature decent character models and nice textures, but not fantastic lighting effects. Monkey Ball likewise, SMB:M I havenít seen and Waverace I have to see in action.

My reaction:

As you know Iíve been a bit sceptical of the GameCube. Iíve always been unimpressed and Iím still unimpressed. Nothingís changed really. Iím not saying itís not good, it just doesnít hold the same wow factor the PS2 has for me. Iíve never liked (most of) Nintendoís games and from future prospects I doubt I ever will. I can see how it will appeal to some but not to me. In my eyes, Nintendo have completely the wrong attitude, but then people have said the same of the PS2. I guess, as always, itís down to personal preference. If a Ninty and a Sonyphile both said "My console's better than yours" they'd both be right because from both their points of view, both their consoles are better.

And with that, Iíll finish.
Sun 25/11/01 at 11:37
Regular
RCTW Friday?! Must get that......
Sun 25/11/01 at 11:24
"possibly impossible"
fitz wrote:
> Remember all the DC owners gloating over how they were
> getting Shenmue 2 and Propellor arena. Sega pulled the plug on two of the last
> great games for the dying console, especially considering Shenmue 2 had already
> been released i Japan.

You mean the Shenmue 2 that came out here last month, or a different Shenmue 2?
Sat 24/11/01 at 14:18
Return To Castle Wolfenstein will be out this Friday, or so I'm told. And here we are wasting time trying to decide what console to get when the PC is still rolling out excellent games. Of course there is no one PC, it's a community which is much nicer than all of this competition. Anyway RTCW on Friday, I'm happy.
Sat 24/11/01 at 10:18
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
GrimMetal wrote:
> erm not beinbg funny but you should be comparing the early nintendo games with
> the EARLY ps2 games. Because it is the early games where developers are only
> just getting to grips with the power.

No, because the point is while GameCube owners are playing "inferior", 1st gen games, we'll be well into our 3rd generation, and it's those that you compare becuase it's those that will be competing.

>Secondly you cannot compare screenshots
> you have to compare rolling screen movies.

Yes, I've seen loads.

>And finally if you want proof of the
> ps2's inferior technology...A leading Sony geezer told the FT that due to Xbox
> and GC having superior technology, the ps3 might be released within the next 2
> years in order to compete. Game Over PS2.

He NEVER SAID THAT! Geez...
Thu 22/11/01 at 22:17
Its ironic that all the GC fans are protecting the GC when there was a lot of people slating the PS2 only a few months ago whenever there were not a great deal of AAA titles coming out. It seems stupid to comment on a console that hasn't been released in this country as the support for it by publishers is what's more important. Remember all the DC owners gloating over how they were getting Shenmue 2 and Propellor arena. Sega pulled the plug on two of the last great games for the dying console, especially considering Shenmue 2 had already been released i Japan. Sega are primarily concerned with the Asian market, and recent announcement that special Silver Panasonic DVD GC won't be released in the US or Europe.

Each console must be reviewed on its games, because when it comes down to the bare bones, you don't pay for the console, you pay to be able to play games for it.
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:52
Regular
"everyone says it"
Turbonutter, you say in your first post that you won't bother with the game that is going to the PS2 anyway....

...hmm... so most of the games on the PS2 that are coming to the GC..

Lets just forget about them. lol
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:13
"possibly impossible"
I've been playing on the Gamecube for a couple of weeks now (sadly not mine, boohoo) It's a cute little thing with a kind of smiley face light at the front, nice touch that.

Wave Race was kind of nice at first, but became a bit samey after a short time. Pikmin, however, was magic. It really had me enthralled. All the small touches to the landscape and those cute little critters had me in awe. Now all I've got to do is wrestle Monkey Ball and the Star Wars game off my mate and have a go on that!
Tue 20/11/01 at 21:07
Regular
It seems that there is a spark, but you don't feel it by looking at games - you have to actually play them.

It's that unique sort of Nintendo (and Sega in the case on Monkey Ball) thing that makes it refreshing from todays bland "oh so serious" titles.

By the way, I see some of the newer people are looking at TB's topic. When he said "As unbiased as possible", it meant that he was trying to be unbiased against the Gamecube.

It was a good effort, but a good EFFORT only. :-)
Tue 20/11/01 at 20:47
The lack of the 'spark' on the Gamecube is mainly because no 'exceptional' games came out on release.
But just wait. The gamecube has a whole host of games in production and a lot of them look like they have a whole bonfire rather than a spark.
Tue 20/11/01 at 20:42
Regular
"Hoo Har"
I have nothing against the GC. But it just doesn't seem to have that spark that the PS2 has, but I don’t know what that spark is yet.

It could be its lack of games at the moment. Though I must admit, I’m not an expert on the G-Cube.
So I’m not one to judge…

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.