GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How much do web designers get paid?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/10/01 at 16:26
Regular
At GCSE I am currently taking IT, Electronics and Business Studies. I have been thinking of jobs that relate with each subject and looking at the well paid jobs.

So how much do web designers get paid?
Mon 29/10/01 at 16:26
Regular
At GCSE I am currently taking IT, Electronics and Business Studies. I have been thinking of jobs that relate with each subject and looking at the well paid jobs.

So how much do web designers get paid?
Mon 29/10/01 at 16:36
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
not as much as you'd think unless youre really good.
Mon 29/10/01 at 16:45
Regular
OK thanks, back to the sketching board for CJC.
Mon 29/10/01 at 17:16
Regular
""
Depends on your experience and qualifications.

With work experience, a degree and some example work the average grad wage is between 15-20k these days. (thats now, in a couple of years its likely to change obviously).

I'd advise getting a degree. I wouldn't normally give someone an interview who was that age and didn't have one (but thats a personal thing). And then lots of good example work shows you're keen.

But you've got to think... In a couple of years time who won't have a webpage already. Not everyone is going to be wanting a new website every week. It's the same in the US. All these companies making PC's - they're all going pear-shaped because people aren't changing their PC every month. It had to happen eventually. The market will becoming saturated.

If you were asking me for career advice for I'd think more long-term and think about providing longer term web solutions, rather than just designing them...

What does everyone else think?
Mon 29/10/01 at 17:26
Regular
Thanks ajg, I'm gonna need to think hard about this.
Tue 30/10/01 at 08:04
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ajg wrote:
> Depends on your experience and qualifications.

> I'd advise getting a degree. I wouldn't normally give someone an interview who was that age and didn't have one (but thats a personal thing). And then lots of good example work shows you're keen.

Why? I didn't need a degree? an as far as I know most of my collegues don't have one either? Having a degree doesn't gurantee a job, experience and a proven comercial and personal portfolio is more important...

> But you've got to think... In a couple of years time who won't have a webpage already. Not everyone is going to be wanting a new website every week.

No, but what about support, development etc etc... most clients re-design their sites every 2 years on average...

> If you were asking me for career advice for I'd think more long-term and think about providing longer term web solutions, rather than just designing them...

I agree... XML and content management is the future, and if you wanted to get really @nal, go for usability expert. The market has learned a lot since the dot com bust and boo and are no onger interested in flash whizzy graphical sites, today is about sticky content, understanding, usablity and user experience...
Tue 30/10/01 at 08:08
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
ajg wrote:
> With work experience, a degree and some example work the average grad wage is between 15-20k these days. (thats now, in a couple of years its likely to change obviously).

Depends on geographical location. As a junior you would start on around 17K (Oxfordshire). In London this can be as high as 20k. I started on 10K over 6 years ago and am now looking at about 25K where I am now... I am concidering going to London where I have been offered a job doing what I do at 45K a year...

All of this wih NO DEGREE and only experience!!
Tue 30/10/01 at 08:49
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
The thing about degrees though, is that if you have one, you can automatically expect a higher wage, regardless of wether the degree is in the same field as the work.

Bizarre, but true.
Tue 30/10/01 at 09:42
Regular
""
A degree rightly or wrongly shows a bit of commitment and the willingness to take your learning a bit further. Employers these days come to expect them. Thats the way it goes. The majority of people I work with have a degree although, like Slave says very few actually in any technical subject!!
Tue 30/10/01 at 12:48
Regular
Degrees are very misleading. I recently hired to people. One had a good degree and one had a HND but failed the degree top up. The thing was the one with the good degree could not handle the work and the one who failed is still working for me and doing well. I prefer to look for experiance and personnel projects. My advice is design a few sites using PHP, CGI, ASP (if you can) and other languages and then potential employers will see that you already know what to do. The problem with degrees is they teach you computers and not web programming.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.