GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Does Nintendo deserve to be in this market today?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 28/05/03 at 21:19
Regular
Ok, Before you all go and quickly reply like mindless baboons, read my point first, then you have permission to abuse me with threatening messages if you desire.

Nintendo is a household name everyone knows and trusts. Releasing games over the years that would probably be considered the best ever! Back in the days of the SNES, Nintendo fought its way to the top, seeing the demise of other consoles in its path.

They were unstoppable.

The games were highly original, "fresh" and fun. Franchises like Mario and Zelda were Nintendos strongest point. Over the years they built themselves a loyal fanbase, Who praised Nintendo for their efforts and stood by the company no matter what.

Now before this post turns into some secondary school history lesson i'll move onto the point.

Does Nintendo deserve to be in this market today?

Well your probably all thinking "Whats he been smoking? Of course Nintendo do, they rule!"

Maybe in their production of high quality titles, Yes.

Nintendo, in my opinon suck at marketing. They seriously have'nt done duck all for Europe. Now I know that sounds harsh, but you have to admit its true. The gamecube is currently lagging behind in 3rd place, and Nintendos advertising scheme is abysmal.

It looks like Nintendo are just sitting back and letting this happen, Not releasing games like Animal Crossing in Europe, Not dropping the price of the console to compete in the market.

They just seem so lazy and don't care.

I think everyone can admit, this years E3 was pretty poor for all formats. Nintendo had the worse mind....

WE DON'T GIVE A F*F**K ABOUT THIS GC/GBA CONNECTING SH*T!

Sigh..

I think Nintendo needs to look forward next time. Get their rear ends in to gear.

Push Nintendo to number one!

Still, this topic poses the question: -

Would Nintendo be better off if they run just as a software-only company?
Thu 29/05/03 at 18:38
Regular
Would Nintendo be better off if they run just as a software-only company?

I phrased that wrongly. I meant, Would'nt Nintendo be better off if they run as a software only company and hand-over the production of the console to another company (e.g Panasonic Q)..
Thu 29/05/03 at 18:33
Regular
AfroJoe wrote:
> I love Nintendo and my Gamecube, but they need to get with the times;
> ADVERTISE!

WOAH.

I love Nintendo and my Gamecube loads too! The post was'nt aimed at the console itself!!

Yes, Nintendo make excellent games.

But, they suck at marketing them.

As Tiltawhirl stated, This country is full of people who think every game on the PS2 is the best. Nintendo has some top titles for the 'cube, but what are they doing to sell them?

Fook all, thats what.

Argos and Dixons sold the console fast and well, Does'nt that show something for Nintendo? They could at least cut the price.

I knew some people would come in with comments like "Well Xbox has'nt got any adverts" Was this post about the Xbox? No. No it was'nt.

Nintendo could of pushed the Gamecube further, and even though i'll surprise myself saying this, If Nintendo had marketed the console more last year/this year, It would be ahead of the Xbox now.

Still, you gotta agree, No-one likes the GBA/GC connectivity.
Thu 29/05/03 at 12:08
Regular
"poo poo for you!"
Just that thing is the main post is composed of "dont have a go at me" and "before you go and tell me off" and does not focus at the main issue at hand whihc he is trying to get across
Thu 29/05/03 at 11:50
Regular
Goatboy wrote:

> Which is why they follow a pattern of release new console, abandon it
> in Europe.

When have they ever abandoned a console?

I've owned pretty much every console they've ever made and i've never had the problem of them abandoning it. N64 was a little slow with software coming out, but that's not because they abandoned it, there was next to no 3rd party support so a few games a month was all we ever really got.

I wouldn't say Nintendo are completly redundant when it comes to advertising, they have advertised in lot of magazines such as FHM, Loaded and all the other meat head kind of magazines on the shelves when their games come out.

It was all over the internet at one time that they were advertising their games in Playboy and other 'mens' magazines. They also sponsored some Xgames winter event, I can't remember the name though.

They still need to put a lot of work in, but i'd say they're definetly making steps to improve their advertising.
Thu 29/05/03 at 11:19
Regular
Well we can say that Sony know the most about advertising, but then again they sell TV's, VCR's, DVD players, Hi-Fi's and the list goes on so they've had plenty of experience.
Thu 29/05/03 at 10:23
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Had a load of radio ads for Splinter Cell, as well as some tv ones.
Sony did radio with GTA3.

Both on XFM a lot, an alternative station geared towards early-twenties Gen X'ers.
It's not that Nintendo dont advertise, they just dont advertise to the sorts of gamers that will ensure longevity.

Which is why they follow a pattern of release new console, abandon it in Europe.
As did Sega, who turned into developers.
Wed 28/05/03 at 23:20
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> But it is!
>
>
> I haven't seen an Xbox advert on TV for months!

Same, the last one I saw was for the release of Blinx.
Wed 28/05/03 at 23:18
Regular
Alter Ego wrote:
but when you think of it there not
> doing much better than GC.

This is true.

Thing is, with Bill Gates backing the console with his money printer, shareholders have no real fears for the console or the company.

Also, if a 3rd party decides to stop production on games for Xbox, Bill goes in the back door and shoves his money member in their chute.
Wed 28/05/03 at 23:15
Regular
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> heh
>
> I thought that Japanese Sp advert was swish,
>
> The only problem being that most people wouldn't understand that it
> used lithium ion rechargable batteries and stuff.

Nah, I loved it, but what is my incentive to buy it from seeing that advert and nothing more?

ALl my mates were saying "Ask Munn what they're saying" I'm now also known as "Tesco-boy" for some odd reason.

Oh, and I actually thought they'd given us a Japanese advert when we were there as there had been some mistake.

:D
Wed 28/05/03 at 23:14
"!Basement Clucking!"
As i said there has hardly been any adds for all 3 consoles for ages (except the occasional ones). I personally have seen the Primal one 1,000,000 times (this led me to beleive it was going to be something special, one glance at the back of the box and it was back to the shelf you go), the Zelda one a few times, Metriod once (maybe twice) and i actualy seen an add for Halo not too long ago (it may have been advertising a store deal or somethign though). But im not talking right now at this very moment, im talking generally. And yes X-Box dont do as many Tv adds either, but when you think of it there not doing much better than GC.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.