GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Oh look the Wii outdoes the PS3 again ....and for much less money"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/04/07 at 09:36
Regular
Demonstrating that you can do convergence on a budget, Orb claims that Nintendo Wii owners have downloaded 50,000 copies of its software that permits them to access their home music and photo collections on their games consoles.

A Swedish Wii owner took advantage of the console's built-in Opera browser and Wi-Fi to tap into his PC's media collection shortly before Christmas. The Wii remote can then be used to show photos and browse iTunes playlists on the TV.

Getting your stuff from a computer to a TV set has defied some of the biggest companies in the business. Games rivals Sony and Microsoft have spent billions - the figure probably tops $10bn - developing expensive console hardware to support ambitious "convergence" strategies this decade. But with a simple (and quite legitimate) hack, Nintendo has beaten them to it with cheap hardware, and no apparent strategy at all.

The irony wasn't lost on one Digg poster, who wrote:

"How cool that it'd be Nintendo - the only one of the Big Three WITHOUT much-hyped aspirations to provide a console that'd go beyond gaming and become the mythical Digital Hub for the TV - who would deliver on that vision first."

Orb simply provides the bridge software, which runs on a network-connected Windows PC and a free user account. The company blessed the hack on 5 January.

Well its nice to see that you dont have to spend £500 - £2000 to get a "HUB" and I am sure this is a perfect solution to people on a budget.
Wed 18/04/07 at 12:20
"possibly impossible"
I like the idea of the PS3 from the hardware point of view (though they could have made it far easier on programmers), but the price and lack of software at present is letting it down.

Lower price + many more must have exclusives and they can see themselves winning the console war hands down.
Tue 17/04/07 at 22:48
Regular
"8==="
Chaos wrote:
>
> Exactly because you have come to that conclusion is purely why
> he's arguing(?) with you. It seems very biased since the PS3
> outperfoms the other two strongly in some areas. Simply because
> these areas don't affect or impress you doesn't mean that the
> console itself is "crap".

Actually in this rare instance I think that's a pretty decent description/summary of the PS3 at the moment.

It really is a bit of a marmite console at the moment. Although I do know people who got one and have it tucked away until... well... games actually come out for it that they actually want and that they can't get on their 360.

We all knew the PS3 was going to have consumer trouble this time round due to all the pre-launch bad press.

... and yes 'crap' is actually a pretty fair assessment of the PS3 at the moment. Seems to be a bit be of a national joke, I mean my local HMV has a pod and it seems to be putting people off rather than encouraging them. :D

It'll do an N64 soon enough though, then it'll be good.

Edit: and Blockbuster have blu-ray movies but I can't find any HD-DVDs, then again you'd need to rent instead of buy and save a bit of cash after getting a PS3 eh? ;)
Tue 17/04/07 at 21:21
Regular
Your opinions on the consoles is valid but you are a prat. You got personal before me. Go to bed little boy and write what you want but I wont be responding. My little jaunt into forums is over if you are an example the prospective conversation. All you ever do is quote me. Enjoy the rest of your life looking for validation from people you have never me.

Power to the pale skins!!!!
Tue 17/04/07 at 21:04
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
DoomBaboon1982 wrote:
> Testy more like. Go have a play with yourself and cool off. This
> is my third day of posting so its a novilty. I can even do it
> whilst being paid at work. How long have you been posting here
> troglodite. Go out and get some sun pail skin :)

You're the one with the problem I believe. As you feel that personal comments are needed. I was only ever interested in the topic. In my opinion it was biased and gave the wrong impression about certain well known facts about all 3 consoles. I never gave an opinion on any of the consoles themselves as I dont own any of them. All I know is that theres nothing that interests me in any of them at the moment thus I dont buy them.

Anyway, now that you've demonstrated your real level of discourse. You're dismissed.
Tue 17/04/07 at 20:07
Regular
Oh dear.
Tue 17/04/07 at 20:04
Regular
Testy more like. Go have a play with yourself and cool off. This is my third day of posting so its a novilty. I can even do it whilst being paid at work. How long have you been posting here troglodite. Go out and get some sun pail skin :)
Tue 17/04/07 at 19:58
Regular
Garin's feisty.
Tue 17/04/07 at 19:29
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Given you have a higher posting rate than me, I'm not sure its me that should be hoping to be paid. ;)

And you responded too quickly to my previous post. Dont you have anything better to do? :)
Tue 17/04/07 at 18:55
Regular
No, No problem. I just hope you get paid.
Tue 17/04/07 at 18:29
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
DoomBaboon1982 wrote:
> When I said "without a next generation console you have to
> have something to do with your day" I didn't mean thats ALL
> there is to do in a day. I work for example, some people go for
> walks or sit in the sun. It was supposed to be a veiled comment
> about how quickly he was responding to my postings as every time
> I took a break there was an answer.

Yeah. my entire day is focused upon these forums. I refresh 20 times a minute in the hope that theres something to respond to. You have a problem with that? And is it relevant in any measure? :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.