GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"I Think I Have Lost My Faith....."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/10/01 at 19:11
Regular
There comes a time in every man's life when he doubt's his faith and I am at that time. No I'm not talking about religion, I lost my faith in that years ago. I'm talking about consoles. I think I may have lost my faith in Nintendo and I think I am close to giving in to Sony after 5 long years.

I am of course talking about which console to buy. Now this is not another console wars topic. It's just that I can't decide whether to get a GameCube or a PS2. Up until a few days ago I had my mind firmly set on the GC. Now however, I'm not so sure. There was a time just before the PS2's release when I was planning on getting one (it was the MGS2 video that really persuaded me) but my brother talked me into to getting a Dreamcast instead. "It's half the price" he'd say "with 6 games!!!" In the end, I crumbled and split him on the DC and I have truly regretted it.

So, I really don't want to make the same mistake again. Now after looking at a few more videos and games being released for the PS2, I'm back to deciding what to get again. Yes, it's another MGS2 video that really got me thinkng. But then there's GT3 and GTA3, both PS2 exclusives. However, on the other side, I have Rogue Leader, Mario, Perfect Dark, and basically Nintendo and Rare games on the whole. AARRGGHH this is so difficult.

I suppose what I could do is get a PS2 at Christmas and then wait until my Birthday (end of June) to get a GC or even wait till Christmas. And I suppose then, I may even decide that I don't want a GC because I've fallen in love with my PS2.

I don't even know why I'm asking because I'm sure I'll get a lot of "Sony Rules" and "Nintendo reign supreme" (in fact that's a good one, I'll have to remeber that :-D). The fact is though, I want you to help me to decide just by writing ideas or by telling me what console you think I should get. In fact, what would be even better is if someone who was a Ninty and bought a PS2 could tell me what they think of their PS2.

You know this probably isn't going to affect me at all but I must try. What make's it harder though, is that my brother is going off to University next year so I can't split the console with him.

You know, I may just have to go round my 'friends' house (who I actually hate) and play GTA3 and GT3. Goddamm this is so difficult.

The new Zelda probably has a big part in this as well subconsciencly.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:11
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
There comes a time in every man's life when he doubt's his faith and I am at that time. No I'm not talking about religion, I lost my faith in that years ago. I'm talking about consoles. I think I may have lost my faith in Nintendo and I think I am close to giving in to Sony after 5 long years.

I am of course talking about which console to buy. Now this is not another console wars topic. It's just that I can't decide whether to get a GameCube or a PS2. Up until a few days ago I had my mind firmly set on the GC. Now however, I'm not so sure. There was a time just before the PS2's release when I was planning on getting one (it was the MGS2 video that really persuaded me) but my brother talked me into to getting a Dreamcast instead. "It's half the price" he'd say "with 6 games!!!" In the end, I crumbled and split him on the DC and I have truly regretted it.

So, I really don't want to make the same mistake again. Now after looking at a few more videos and games being released for the PS2, I'm back to deciding what to get again. Yes, it's another MGS2 video that really got me thinkng. But then there's GT3 and GTA3, both PS2 exclusives. However, on the other side, I have Rogue Leader, Mario, Perfect Dark, and basically Nintendo and Rare games on the whole. AARRGGHH this is so difficult.

I suppose what I could do is get a PS2 at Christmas and then wait until my Birthday (end of June) to get a GC or even wait till Christmas. And I suppose then, I may even decide that I don't want a GC because I've fallen in love with my PS2.

I don't even know why I'm asking because I'm sure I'll get a lot of "Sony Rules" and "Nintendo reign supreme" (in fact that's a good one, I'll have to remeber that :-D). The fact is though, I want you to help me to decide just by writing ideas or by telling me what console you think I should get. In fact, what would be even better is if someone who was a Ninty and bought a PS2 could tell me what they think of their PS2.

You know this probably isn't going to affect me at all but I must try. What make's it harder though, is that my brother is going off to University next year so I can't split the console with him.

You know, I may just have to go round my 'friends' house (who I actually hate) and play GTA3 and GT3. Goddamm this is so difficult.

The new Zelda probably has a big part in this as well subconsciencly.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:23
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I know how you feel, I too am worried with the Gamecube they release their latest consoles and games in Europe a long time after they have been released elsewhere, I thought you had learned from the N64 Nintendo! Fortunately I can get both consoles and will be doing so soon but I admit the Gamecube has the sort of games I think I will enjoy me such as Mario Kart but then again the PS2 has the brilliant GTA3 and GT3!

It's a hard decision to choose just one, try to think of it in the long run, are there always going to be games coming out for the console that you know you will like?
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:35
Regular
"Back For Good"
I've done my rounds with consoles but I'd have to recommend the PS2, It had a rocky start but just look at it now :-)

My advice is get a PS2 because it's about to hit it's peak with great titles and with an enhaned PS1 and DVD player thrown in too it's a bargain. The gamecube won't get going for a long time (like all consoles) and it isn't released here for a long time but I'd get that too,lol ;-)
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:36
Regular
Does Nintendo care about the European market?
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:40
Code: 144 Complete wrote:
> Does Nintendo care about the European market?
no
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:42
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
I agree with The_Vottanator on this one. I am shifting loyalty from my Playstation. It was good for 3 or 4 years (so it wasn't exactly a one night stand) but it's served it's time over. Now, my Playstation sits in my bedroom, collecting dust. I havn't brought a Playstation game in 2 and a half months. Sony just don't offer me anything exhilerating anymore. Nothing interesting, nothing that stimulates the body and mind.

I am moving towards the X-Box. I am not a huge Ninty fan, but I have nothing against them. It's evident that Sony won't win the war of the consoles, as they released a less powerful machine than Gamecube and X-Box. Then again, graphics and power aren't everything, right? I strongly believe that it could go either way, in reference to Gamecube and the X-Box. I will buy all the console I can afford when they come down in price considerably, so I will be able to judge for myself which is the best console.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:45
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Well, I personally was waiting for the GC, and was gonna keep my DC forever. However, given the fact that the PS2 is really coming out with some quality games, I have now decided to sell the DC and 6 games for £100 and trade the lot for a PS2.

As for the GC, we'll see...

Sonic
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:48
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
The R@ckstar wrote:
"I agree with The_Vottanator on this one. I am shif..."

All true, but do you really see anyone but Sony winning the console war? The fact of the matter is that Sony can ride the success of the original Playstation to ensure that they have tens of millions of consoles sold worldwide by the end of the year. After that, I can easily see Sony taking the crown once again.

Sad but true that the PS2 will win not because the games are good (although they are), but because of it's predicesor.

Sonic
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:50
Regular
UFGO wrote:
> Code: 144 Complete wrote:
> Does Nintendo care about the European
> market?
no

Then why should we care about them, I mean in japan where they are based the companies and consumers respect each other and no wonder ps2 has done well in japan than anywhere else. I aint getting the cube cube 2,3,4 an' whatever else, they dont have respect for me the consumer I might as well spend my hard earned somewhere else. I also think that the Gc will launch far later than the xbox in europe an uk. I mean there is no other games company(comparing sony, MS and Nintendo) that shows us disrespect like this one.
Sun 28/10/01 at 19:55
Regular
"Fat Red-Capped Vale"
SonicRav wrote:
> The R@ckstar wrote:
"I agree with The_Vottanator on this one. I am
> shif..."

All true, but do you really see anyone but Sony winning the
> console war? The fact of the matter is that Sony can ride the success of the
> original Playstation to ensure that they have tens of millions of consoles sold
> worldwide by the end of the year. After that, I can easily see Sony taking the
> crown once again.

Sad but true that the PS2 will win not because the games
> are good (although they are), but because of it's predicesor.

Sonic

Call me evil, call me sadistic, but I really don't want Sony to win the console wars. I'm sick of Sony frankly, with all due respect to Sony fans. Sony are the same old thing, but Gamecube and X-Box, now they are revolutionary, they are a breath of fresh air. I was entertained by Sony for a 3 or 4 year period but I want more now. I am not as easily entertained as I was in my younger years. As I am growing up (along with other poster on these forums), we expect even more out of our games. I know it's asking for a lot, and that's what makes me feel bad and guilty when I say it, so I won't bother re-iterrating it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.