GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"No Flare in PC Games...?!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/10/01 at 16:43
Regular
Would you agree with me?

I think, that today, and for the best part of the last few years, PC games have gone from charismatic masterpieces, to dull, gloomy masterpieces...

I mean, lets compare some of the games to console games... We have Commandos 2, which despite being a great war RPG almost lacks that certain kick that might attract gamers... I know for the older gamers it's almost perfect, but in general it doesn't have that aura about it that say another RPG/Strategy like PIKMIN might...

Now I know what you're thinkning... yuo're doing that stupid 'Uhhhh!' thing that people did about 6 years ago... so stopiit ouy look stupid - I know PIKMIN is a different game for a different audience, but you have to see where i'm coming from...

A lot of PC graphics look faded and seem to lack colour... I mean compare a PC game like Tomb Raider to Jak and Daxter (Ulgh! - Talking about PS2 games :D) and you can see just how big a contrast there is between the formats...

I know I might not make much sense, but do you understand what I mean? PC games to me seem to lack the body that a lot of console games have... it isn't all about colour, but to me, a console gamer, what the PC offers seems a litte mundane... Yes I know there are a lot of ports (Red Faction, Tomb Raider, Fifa), but a lot of the time the graphics do seem faded, in comparison to the games Nintendo and Playstation counterparts.

PC gaming, as you may have heard, has never really hit out at me... nothing on the PC/Mac has even said, "...look at me.. i'm a great, new and exciting game..." I've looked at boxes and i've read reviews, even played demo's, but there is something so different about PC games that makes them seem so reserved and urbane (well-to-do), but at the same time lacklustre... and it makes console games seem so much more attractive...

I liked age of Empires II and the football games look quite polished, but there's something about PC games that makes me stay away...

I just don't know what it is....

Anyone else feel like this?

Game
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:37
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Aye...
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:33
If everyone was a Ninty we would probably have invented technology to make the world more cartoony by now. Still, could be worse, imagine the possibilities if everyone was a PS2 owner! Just look at the adverts!
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:22
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
*...Dreams of a world full of Ninties...... *

:D
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:16
Gronti_v wrote:
> Well exactly. Wouldn't it be easier to discuss things if we were all clones and
> thought the same things about everything... No actually it would be impossible
> since there would be no different points of view to discuss.

There wouldn't be any arguments or debates. That wouldn't be very....erm....fun!
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:14
Well exactly. Wouldn't it be easier to discuss things if we were all clones and thought the same things about everything... No actually it would be impossible since there would be no different points of view to discuss.
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:08
Gronti_v wrote:
> Oh a reasonable amount of time. I wasn't really paying attention. Thanks
> anyway, good to make an impression.

Flair is a matter of opinion overall
> anyway, so it's hard to pinpoint. Plus is flair only that which is quick and
> flashy or can slow but fun have flair too? Like Strategy games compared to
> FPSs.

I suppose it all depends on the types of games that you like.
Tue 30/10/01 at 16:06
Oh a reasonable amount of time. I wasn't really paying attention. Thanks anyway, good to make an impression.

Flair is a matter of opinion overall anyway, so it's hard to pinpoint. Plus is flair only that which is quick and flashy or can slow but fun have flair too? Like Strategy games compared to FPSs.
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:55
Gront, I'm impressed. How long did that reply take?

I seem quite happy with the PC games that I have at the moment, but when I look at the games, I see each game having it's own kind of flair.
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:49
The Game wrote:
> My goodness... what a reply, Gonti!

You're something else...

T'was a good
> reply though... thanks!

I am something else... Gronti! Hehe. Anyway thank you for umm, thanking me! What I wonder is what else you think I am.
Tue 30/10/01 at 15:24
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
My goodness... what a reply, Gonti!

You're something else...

T'was a good reply though... thanks!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.