GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"i saw this thing on watcdog about........"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/05/03 at 14:47
Regular
ps2's the say that they keep going wrong and keep coming up whith DISK READ ERROR! thats what happend to mine, i got a refrbished one, and then it said when you get a referbished one after 10 months it does the same thing.so i mite get an x-box.
Mon 09/06/03 at 14:10
Kiriyama wrote:
> Seasoned Samurai wrote:
> I have gone through at least eight PS2 they are a shoddily made
> console, especially if you compare it to a similarly priced DVD
> player. The draw feels cheap and insecure.
>
> That's complete bollards. The most you've gone through is 3 or 4...

No it isnt 'bollards' at all. What on earth would I bother to come on to a message board and lye.

I have been sent refurbished units that haven’t worked full stop, and numerous 'new' ones that I have been sent with a new and full guarantee. That have failed within the space of six to eight months.

But the unit I have got at the moment is working fine (touch wood) and Sony have always been helpful.
Mon 09/06/03 at 10:36
"griever"
ive mine at launch as well and no problems.
but i might get the new one
Fri 06/06/03 at 14:21
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I've got two PS2s... a first generation Japanese machine (now THAT's old!) and my original PAL version that I've had for about three years... both work fine.

My friend has a PAL launch machine that he has dropped twice (clumsy oaf!( and even though the case is all cracked and it rattles if you shake it, it still works perfectly as well!

I dunno how that guy down below went through 8 of them. Have you been using the PS2 as a hammer?
Sat 31/05/03 at 22:55
Regular
"Chris Morris"
Actually.....Everyone I know who has a PS2, they keep getting these clicking sounds and other sounds. And NOW it's happning to mine! Did Sony do this on purpose so that more PS2's are sold??? But I'm not going to buy an XBOX because basicly, it's a PC stuffed into a green box with an X on the top, and I already have a PC.
Sat 31/05/03 at 20:39
Regular
"where's my tag?"
I havn't yet bought a PS2 but I was a bit worried about the claims of crappy components Sony were ment to be using. If 5% of machines, which I think someone said was 2 million units, have been going wrong, I would say there was an issue to be had. After all, if an electronic appliance has a record of 5% faults of its total sale-age, and that's said to be 'normal', then the story wouldn't have made its way on to Watch Dog, would it?

Nope, there's no excuses for Sony Im afraid. I've never heard of 2 million PSOnes going wrong, and that machine has sold millions more than the PS2. And I've never heard millions of N64's breaking down either.

Take care of your PS2's, yes, but don't but all of the PS2 faults down to 'console abuse'. I think Sony are to blame for most part.
Sat 31/05/03 at 18:57
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I guess i must be one of the lucky few then who has experienced no problems with his PS2. Works fine for me.

And after saying that now, i bet i walk into my room to find it has blown itself up. Drat
Sat 31/05/03 at 18:44
"!Basement Clucking!"
My launch PS2 is also fine, always has been, never a problem. The Sims tends to mess up on my lil bro's, but only the sims.
Sat 31/05/03 at 12:32
Regular
"Wobble"
My launch machine is still working fine, with all its original components. I have no complaints about the PS2 or Sony, and nor do about 40+ million other satisfied customers.

There is an issue with *some* units because of the original plastic laser tracks used, which were later replaced with metal ones.

If you've had a replacement machine which has also gone wrong, this is because Sony usually replace broken machines with refurbished units - not brand new ones.

If, as some of you claim, Sony used deliberately sub-standard components, I think it would be fair to assume that EVERY machine would have failed by now, which clearly is not the case.

From the millions that have been sold, a very low number have actually gone wrong. The figures are higher than competing machines simply because of the number sold.

Assume there have been 2 million faulty PS2s returned. That's a lot, isn't it? But consider that the last sales figure given for PS2 was over 40 million units. That's only 5% of machines, which I think most people would agree is an acceptable level, considering the relatively sensitive nature of the components.

And for the record, my Xbox is on its 2nd HD. Am I in the Xbox forum bemoaning the low quality of the MS console? No.

Because I understand that electronic equipment sometimes fails. Not because it's poorly made, but because it's sensitive equipment.

And I understand that the more of an item that are sold, the more reports there will be of failures. After all, if you don't sell any, people can't complain it doesn't work.

As with all electronics, machines are tested before they leave the manufacturing plant. They work, otherwise they aren't released. If your machine didn't work when you got it home, chances are something has happened during transport - a carton was dropped, fell of a shelf, etc. Possibly it happened at the warehouse of the shop where you bought it - you'd be surprised how things get thrown around.

If it went wrong after a few months, or just out of warranty - tough, you were just unlucky. It's not a conspiracy by Sony, it's just one of those things. Get over it.

And if you've had multiple machines go wrong? I suggest that it's not the machines at all, but something you're doing, even if you're not aware of it.

Keep it dust free. Keep it away from static electricity - don't store it immediately on or under your TV, and don't put it on the carpet when you use it. Don't subject it to shock or constant vibration - keep it away from powerful hi-fi speakers. Don't plug in or remove controllers, memory cards etc. with the power switched on (it tells you that in the manual, but people still do it).

This applies not just to your PS2, but any other consoles too. They are boxes full of sensitive electronic components, and should be treated as such.
Sat 31/05/03 at 09:39
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Seasoned Samurai wrote:
> I have gone through at least eight PS2 they are a shoddily made
> console, especially if you compare it to a similarly priced DVD
> player. The draw feels cheap and insecure.

That's complete bollards. The most you've gone through is 3 or 4...
Sat 31/05/03 at 09:38
Regular
"I am Riki Takeuchi!"
Twiddly wrote:
> But the lack of reliability is what has been driving the sales for the
> last two years, how can they change it?
>
> Besides, Sony are working on new consoles now, not much point in going
> back and fixing old problems. Mainly because for Sony it hasn't been a
> problem at all.
>
> Heh, and people say Nintendo rip-off their customers. Truth is, all of
> the manufacturers do to some extent.

But Ninty are selling the GC for £99.99.

Doesn't sound like a rip-off to me. And their games are considerably cheaper (£5 :D) than the Pee Ess Too or Ex-Box.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.